January sale & new Windlass unveiled

Trafalgar Marine

Featured Posts

Happy new year from Paul and Michael Dawson at Trafalgar Marine Services.

We're pleased to announce the launch of a new short throw aluminium windlass.

Take the strain out of cruising with a lightweight cast aluminium windlass. produced locally and exclusively for Trafalgar Marine. These windlasses are good quality and lightweight with double head to fit all standard lock gear.

To celebrate the new launch Trafalgar Marine are offering 10% off everything we sell from rope fenders, to mooring ropes, shackles to decking fittings, windlasses to side fenders.

Just enter the code: happynewyear at the checkout.

Valid until the first of February 2016

OK, Pedant alert.....

The details show "throw length 30cm", but it has two eyes. So which one actually has a 30cm throw, because the other one can not be 30cm!

That would be the one that's 30cm from the handle, Alan ;)

It looks similar to other short alloy ones around and similar price.

Neil

No it doesn't! The current crop of short alloy ones have a much thinner and weedier eye casting.

Being ally these are prone to breaking under load so I'd imagine this is the reason for this new design.

Can't say I'm overly impressed though as a new 'weak point' has been introduced in this new design. The sharp 90 degree corner in the handle.

203_med.jpg

No it doesn't! The current crop of short alloy ones have a much thinner and weedier eye casting.

Being ally these are prone to breaking under load so I'd imagine this is the reason for this new design.

Can't say I'm overly impressed though as a new 'weak point' has been introduced in this new design. The sharp 90 degree corner in the handle.

203_med.jpg

The transition from head to shaft looks a bit sharp as Well to me.

203_med.jpg

I have seen several of the standard type Walsh windlasses broken, but never through the head itself disintegrating.

We have had two break now, but in each case the head snapped off the shaft, the head itself remaining undamaged. Both were long throw, so I guess the ability to exert more force may have played its part.

The example in this advert actually looks to have less metal at the point where our Walsh ones broke, and certainly the sharp angle between handle and shaft looks potentially weaker than a radiused corner.

I have seen someone snap the head off a Dunton Double too, despite what looks a fairly strong "neck". I love using alloy windlasses, but reflecting upon it, I often wonder why I still do - alloy ones tend to snap suddenly, steel ones bend, and give warning of their failure.

I have seen several of the standard type Walsh windlasses broken, but never through the head itself disintegrating.

We have had two break now, but in each case the head snapped off the shaft, the head itself remaining undamaged. Both were long throw, so I guess the ability to exert more force may have played its part.

The example in this advert actually looks to have less metal at the point where our Walsh ones broke, and certainly the sharp angle between handle and shaft looks potentially weaker than a radiused corner.

I have seen someone snap the head off a Dunton Double too, despite what looks a fairly strong "neck". I love using alloy windlasses, but reflecting upon it, I often wonder why I still do - alloy ones tend to snap suddenly, steel ones bend, and give warning of their failure.

I would have said that is because steel is a much more ductile material than an aluminium alloy, perhaps by a factor of 10.

203_med.jpg

That was my immediate thought.

why should the site owner justify his decisions?

I wasn't aware that it is any business of forum members.

We haven't even paid to be here (unless we voluntarily contribute - but that doesn't imply any rights).

Absolutely.....the site owner does not need to justify his decision, as you say we choose to read or contribute if we want to and we don't have to. However it is a site for expressing opinions and I think the site owner would be interested in the members opinions.

If the site owner has been paid by Trafalgar Marine that would make sense to me .... but I do accept I don't have a right to know the answer to that!

why should the site owner justify his decisions?

I wasn't aware that it is any business of forum members.

We haven't even paid to be here (unless we voluntarily contribute - but that doesn't imply any rights).

I would have thought it's the business of forum members since we were previously asked and expected to report inappropriate posts including commercial advertising. How can we do that if we don't know how the rules have changed?

The site owner does not need to justify his decisions if he does not wish to, but by the same token I wasn't demanding any answers and don't really understand why you feel it's so wrong to ask a question? A simple question doesn't imply any rights either!

Edited by blackrose

Do people actually buy windlasses? I thought they just hid themselves around locks, waiting for a new home. I've found plenty and also lost a few. Never bought one though. A bit like biros.

I buy them and then leave them lying around by locks! Occasionally I do a float test just to confirm that they still don't float. I never seem to manage the finding bit!

Do people actually buy windlasses? I thought they just hid themselves around locks, waiting for a new home. I've found plenty and also lost a few. Never bought one though. A bit like biros.

I buy them and then leave them lying around by locks! Occasionally I do a float test just to confirm that they still don't float. I never seem to manage the finding bit!

From this I really can't work out if NickF is generally one boat behind DaveP when working lock flights, or one boat ahead of him!