Kelvin Clutch Lining

andykeane

Featured Posts

I last renewed the ahead clutch lining on my J3 box nine years ago and cannot for the life of me remember what was used. The receipt I have does not say either. I seem to remember it was 3/16" material with some embedded brass in it. Does anyone have any ideas as to what should be used?

Thanks

Andy Keane

NB Dynamo.

This sounds like Ferodo clutch material, in old days it was an asbestos woven fibre with brass to help with heat dissipation. There will be a modern asbestos free equivalent, although this probably will not perform quite so well ( like current vehicle clutches!).

You should be able to obtain material from your local vehicle brake relining company, just make sure that they understand the operating conditions the material will work in.

I think 3/16 is right, but hang on a bit and I will go and measure my spare set.

As said above, the originals contained asbestos and are now impossible to get

The modern nearest equivalent is slightly thicker and results in a neutral space of about 1/16 of a turn on the thrust box, until it wears in. You can fit a thicker gasket at the front of the gearbox casing to compensate.

If you need a new lining your local brake/clutch re-liners should be able to do it, though to have it bonded on, as opposed to the original and scarce tubular rivets, you will need to take both halves of the clutch. The rear clutch is not easy to get off as all the bolts are, or should be staked.. The ahead clutch MUST have new lead key-stops fitted if you remove that. Tell the re-liners (I used Bremskerl last) that the clutch will be running in oil.

N

Dick Goble's the man to ask

Or Andy and John at Seaward Engineering in Glasgow.

Are we sure Seaward don't still have a stock of the original asbestos based type? As it runs in oil it I'd have thought it will be fairly safe from releasing the nasty fibres into the air!

Richard

Or Andy and John at Seaward Engineering in Glasgow.

Are we sure Seaward don't still have a stock of the original asbestos based type? As it runs in oil it I'd have thought it will be fairly safe from releasing the nasty fibres into the air!

Richard

It would be illegal for them to sell ( or even to give away except to a licensed asbestos waste carrier) any friction product containing asbestos, of any type, regardless of its age, I think.

N

EDIT to ADD:

Richard, Thanks for the rivets link. I have one set of rivets, supplied by Kelvins, to match the linings, but knowing they are available is good; copper ones are much better than alloy pop-rivets as they don't wear the clutches so badly at the end of the linings life.

My New Old-Stock set of clutch linings are 0.201-0.203 in thick, to the micrometer ratchet, but 0.185 in thick if I tighten the mic barrel a little, but without forcing it. I would say that is 3/16 nominal.

The rivet holes are set in from the face of the lining by about 0.080 in.

N

If thinking of having a new set of linings fitted talk carefully to the potential fitter first. Some lining companies will not have any asbestos on the premises and will impound your clutch if you send it with asbestos material fitted.

Edited by BEngo