Golf and boating

Rebeccas Mum

Featured Posts

Hi we finally escape the land ratrace in March this year. But hubby will miss his golf.. So the question is , do we bring his clubs on board as there are enough golf players that he can casually connect with for games or is that not the case. I am not a golfer so don't understand his worries but am more than happy if golf can work for him

Hi we finally escape the land ratrace in March this year. But hubby will miss his golf.. So the question is , do we bring his clubs on board as there are enough golf players that he can casually connect with for games or is that not the case. I am not a golfer so don't understand his worries but am more than happy if golf can work for him

Although I am not a golfer myself, I would say that around the system there are many golf courses which are close to and sometime straddle the canal so I am sure that it would be a good thing to take his clubs on board so that he can get a game from time to time.

Howard

So for further clarification we are out for seven months heading up the grand union, up the oxford and then onto the stroppie and back to the grand union for winter. I am a knitter so I know where to meet up with my fellow knitters but hubby is hoping to have a few friendly games with canal boaters along the way. As an aside am nearly bursting with excitement at being off so soon

Its not just a case of finding room for the clubs there are also :

The 'Golfing Clothing' ( very different to #'boating clothing'

Balls ( 100s, 'in stock' if you lose them regularly)

The Golf Trolley

Tees ( different size for different drivers, woods or irons)

Score cards going right back to the 1st ever round

Shoes ( how many pairs ?)

Spare / alternative clubs "because the driver has stopped working".

A lightweight 'carry' bag for a 'quick nine'

A Tour bag for a full day out (when you need a tent, rations and a stove)

New club head covers because the 'tigers head' is Soooooo Last year.

And on & on & on ........................

You will have a very big boat to be able to 'live around' a golfer and his accoutrements.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I notice lots of folk know where golf courses are, and we have not had a response from a golfer yet.

I can't remember ever coming across a set of golf clubs on a boat

Richard

Same here. Funny one that. Lots of people are into fishing, plenty of kniters, you see kayaks on top of boat, cycling etc. Some people even enjoy catching wild animals with snares. I know that golf is a very popular sport, probably millions play it, but I've not spoken to a single boater who had any interest in it.

There are only two previous threads on this:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34163&hl=golf

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=21687&hl=golf

No golfing replies in those either.

On the other hand, It does confirm there are three golfing boaters out there, if the posters from 2011 and 2008 are still boating

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Same here. Funny one that. Lots of people are into fishing, plenty of kniters, you see kayaks on top of boat, cycling etc. Some people even enjoy catching wild animals with snares. I know that golf is a very popular sport, probably millions play it, but I've not spoken to a single boater who had any interest in it.

The number of golfers in Great Britain who play on a full length course remains just under the 4 million mark. This figure is supplemented by recreational golfers who do not play at full length courses, pushing the total number of adults in Great Britain who play some form of golf to just over 4 million. This equates to a participation rate of approximately 8% of the adult population.

The number of Core golfers (who play at least 12 times a year) is around exactly the same level as in 1998. A decrease of almost 400,000 Core golfers since the peak of 2004 is offset by a 340,000 increase in the number of golfers who play less frequently.

Golf courses are closing all over the country, the cost of playing, the cost of equipment, the cost of memberships, and the length of time taken for a 'round' ( of about 5 hours) means that more and more golfers are becoming 'golf gypsies' and not belonging to any club, they are now playing far less frequently and often on a 'casual' basis at smaller, cheaper, 9-hole courses.

The market is 'saturated' - there are for example 69 EGU affiliated (and a few more non-affiliated) golf courses in Lincolnshire. Youngsters are not coming into the game and the 'Seniors' are decreasing through 'natural causes'.

The number of golfers in Great Britain who play on a full length course remains just under the 4 million mark. This figure is supplemented by recreational golfers who do not play at full length courses, pushing the total number of adults in Great Britain who play some form of golf to just over 4 million. This equates to a participation rate of approximately 8% of the adult population.

The number of Core golfers (who play at least 12 times a year) is around exactly the same level as in 1998. A decrease of almost 400,000 Core golfers since the peak of 2004 is offset by a 340,000 increase in the number of golfers who play less frequently.

So we are looking for 8% of 30,000 boats having active golfers - 1200. But that's all boats, not cruising liveaboard boats which are a small percentage of that.

Richard

Edited by RLWP

If he misses having a walk carrying something with a handle, you can have him do it the locks at Tardebigge til he stops missing it. On the other hand, a set of clubs will be useful as moveable ballast to keep your boat in trim.

Just don't let him steer whilst dressed as Ronnie Corbett in Rupert trousers. There's enough dodgy dressers on the cut already!

• Greenie 1

So we are looking for 8% of 30,000 boats having active golfers - 1200. But that's all boats, not cruising liveaboard boats which are a small percentage of that.

Richard

No - way, way less than that. A 'core' golfer is unlikely to be a liveaboard boater ( unless he/she has a permanent mooring).

A core golfer is one who has a 'Club Membership' and plays regularly at that club ( at least once per month) and has a handicap.

Casual golfers are probably around 25% of the number of golfers ( but are increasing) so my guess would be that we would be looking at around 2% of the (alleged) 5000 liveaboards - maybe 100 golfers ?

No - way, way less than that. A 'core' golfer is unlikely to be a liveaboard boater ( unless he/she has a permanent mooring).

A core golfer is one who has a 'Club Membership' and plays regularly at that club ( at least once per month) and has a handicap.

Casual golfers are probably around 25% of the number of golfers ( but are increasing) so my guess would be that we would be looking at around 2% of the (alleged) 5000 liveaboards - maybe 100 golfers ?

I'd go with that. I was planning on a tenth of 1200 which is much the same

Quite honestly, golfing and boating don't really seem to be shared interests. Hubby may have to give up golf

Richard

Why can't he play alone when/if he can't find someone else to play with? When I played I had a regular partner and we played 9 holes once a week for several years. However, if he couldn't play, and no one was around, I played alone.

I suppose Golf is a bit like sex.

You can do it on your own, you can do it with a partner, as a three-some, as a four-some or even as part of a larger group.

But - as you get older it does help to have someone find your balls.

Covers all eventualities.