Fire extinguishers

Jon57

Featured Posts

Hi all can you tell me if these fire extinguishers from lidl are OK for the boat!!

High performance extinguisher for A, B and C classes of fire

Lightweight, corrosion-resistant aluminium cylinder supplied in a multi-purpose transport bracket

Fire rating: 5A 34B C only £8.99 each available next week.

Thanks

Not convinced myself - ratings wise as I read it they are just ok for up to 7m with two of them, but to cover anything longer

you would need to more extinguishers to reach the minimum combined rating - 5 extinguishers for anything over 11m.

Also there is a list of "Approved" symbols - to be ok the extinguisher MUST carry at least one of the BSS recognised symbols.

- would certainly need checking before purchase.

Personally I'm not a fan of 1Kg extinguishers - they are empty so quickly - you are likely to use half the contents working

out the right place to aim rather than actually smothering the fire, 2Kg extinguishers are not that much more difficult to find a

suitable place to mount them, and give a much better chance of dealing effectively with a fire - i.e. first and foremost

permitting you to escape.

springy

Watch it, though. The total of the numbers such as 34B on both/all extinguishers is what matters. I had to replace one of my 55B with a 34B for my BSS last month, and I only just got away with it. Two 55's and a 34 was OK, but two 34's and a 55 wouldn't have been enough.

A fire extinguisher's primary purpose isn't to put the fire out, it is to get the occupants out.