Stopping tidily at lock landings...

MtB

Featured Posts

Yes I did! I had steered the bow in first and my son had jumped off with the bow rope. I was then steering the stern in so I could step off, and expecting the bow to swing out, but George had already strapped the bow rope on a bollard so I had to make a split second judgement whether to leap or have to deal with the boat across the cut. Andrew just happened to be in the right place at the right time with a camera. I didn't know about the picture until a few days later when a passing boater told me I was on the internet.

And we keep telling people step don't jump :)

Why not 'spring' yourself on?

My centreline reaches the stern, with a large loop spliced in the end. I just approach slowly, bring me stern in, hop off and drop the loop over a bollard.

Hop back on, slowly apply forward power and tiller to bring boat parallel and into the lock landing. Then hop off, or not.

PS going slowly is important when stopping the boat with a centreline to the roof! She could pull herself over.

I am surprised nobody has yet (I think) suggested that a bow thruster might help ...

Re "tidily": the previous chief lockkeeper at Limehouse used to ask narrow boaters to come into the lock handsomely, which I took to mean don't hang about (or the boats behind you may miss the tidal window) but don't race in either.

Personally, my technique involves quite a bit of time with the engine in dead slow astern, which I find (NB all boats are different) slows me down but without completely losing steerage.

Step off with the stern rope?

This is how I do it:

david_mack_leaps_off_fulbourne.jpg

Photo by Andrew Denny on Granny Buttons blog. http://www.grannybuttons.com/granny_buttons/2006/08/fulbourne_at_na.html

It would have been much more sensible to send the dog off with the rope attached to its lead. I keep a stick/favourite toy for just such an occasion. Attach rope to dog collar, throw stick onto bank, dog jumps in, retrieves stick, returns to boat (the other side of a bollard) and voila!

It would have been much more sensible to send the dog off with the rope attached to its lead. I keep a stick/favourite toy for just such an occasion. Attach rope to dog collar, throw stick onto bank, dog jumps in, retrieves stick, returns to boat (the other side of a bollard) and voila!

far quicker to just chuck a line over that bollard and stay on the boat!

Ok, as a solo boater I've always had a problem doing this.

I'd like to be able to come alongside close and parallel to a lock landing and stop.

What actually happens is when I engage astern to finally halt the boat, the stern gets pushed rapidly away from the bank and I can no longer step off. Bear in mind I'm cruising single handed.

Another technique is to approach the lock landing at an angle, engage astern so the bow just kisses the bank as the boat comes to a halt, Then apply a bit of ahead and full rudder defection to push the stern into the bank and step off with the centre line. This works moderately well for me but the the bow moves rapidly away from the bank and it takes a fair bit of effort to haul the boat back in and it looks as though I cocked it up royally!

The final method is to not bother with astern but to strap the boat to a halt with the stern line or centre line. Seems clumsy.

How do you lot do it?!

Thanks...

Simples.....

Approach the lock landing

Place Bow 2 feet from the edge.leave stern several feet from bank

REVERSE until Boat is gently moving backwards

Then move forward with moderate Tiller angle,The draw from the Propeller will suck the Stern end in

Step off ,feel smug,operate Lock

CT

Simples.....

Then move forward with moderate Tiller angle,The draw from the Propeller will suck the Stern end in

CT

And at the same time feel acutely embarrassed as the bow will have moved across hard against the opposite bank...

(Your boat clearly behaves completely differently from mine!!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Simples.....

CT

I've tried that with Mervyn and the stern just ends up further into the middle of the cut.

I get it wrong 9 times out of 10 and frequently resort to either the boathook (if there are rings available) or the pole end to shove the stern inwards.blush.png

I always attempt to stop by strapping but don't always succeed and the boat tends to not be in the position intended
Not that I admit this unless there is a clanging sound (not infrequent) ninja.gif

That said though I'm far better handling the heavy traditional boats than I am the lightweight modern ones.
Sadly usually I approximately steer the latter so few who have observed me (mis)handling them tend to let me play with their historic boats biggrin.png

Ok, as a solo boater I've always had a problem doing this.

Another technique is to approach the lock landing at an angle, engage astern so the bow just kisses the bank as the boat comes to a halt, Then apply a bit of ahead and full rudder defection to push the stern into the bank and step off with the centre line. This works moderately well for me but the the bow moves rapidly away from the bank and it takes a fair bit of effort to haul the boat back in and it looks as though I cocked it up royally!

How do you lot do it?!

Thanks...

I like to use a technique similar to this. Coast in towards the bank at angle of say 60 degrees. Just after the Mrs starts shouting and just before the bow hits the bank turn the tiller by perhaps 60 degrees and apply a quick blip from the engine. WIth a bit of luck the boat turns to end up alongside the landing where only a little bit of reverse brings it to a halt. If it's timed right it feels great and looks impressive. However get it wrong and you hit the bank or you turn early and end up stopped three feet into the canal.

I like to use a technique similar to this. Coast in towards the bank at angle of say 60 degrees. Just after the Mrs starts shouting and just before the bow hits the bank turn the tiller by perhaps 60 degrees and apply a quick blip from the engine. WIth a bit of luck the boat turns to end up alongside the landing where only a little bit of reverse brings it to a halt. If it's timed right it feels great and looks impressive. However get it wrong and you hit the bank or you turn early and end up stopped three feet into the canal.

If only!

My boat needs astern in spades to come to a halt, by which time the stern may be three feet from the bank, but the bow is 30ft away...

Which is the problem I outlined in the first place.

Anyway I'm now convinced it's because the boat draws so much. All the water shot forwards during astern has to go down the sides as there is no space under the baseplate, thus pushing the boat away from the bank.

When entering a lock going downhill the effect disappears. I reckon it's because there is plenty of depth under the boat.

If only!

My boat needs astern in spades to come to a halt, by which time the stern may be three feet from the bank, but the bow is 30ft away...

Anyway I'm now convinced it's because the boat draws so much. All the water shot forwards during astern has to go down the sides as there is no space under the baseplate, thus pushing the boat away from the bank.

When entering a lock going downhill the effect disappears. I reckon it's because there is plenty of depth under the boat.

I think you are right

If only!

I agree, it is to do with the depth of water. DQ draws 2 foot 8 inches and is a joy to stop in most places, but at our home mooring the water is usually about 2 foot 10 inches deep. Here I regularly end up looking like a pillock when trying to moor :(