Stopping tidily at lock landings...

MtB

Featured Posts

Re reverse gear and direction of rudder; if you push the tiller away from you towards the bank and engage reverse the bow will naturally try and turn towards the bank,( try it mid stream to see) the reason the stern doesn't motor away from the bank is that is that the closeness to the bank allows the prop to suck the stern in at the same time. I used to do what Athy does and push the tiller away from the bank - but found my bow kicked out as the stern went in.

I used to do what Athy does and push the tiller away from the bank - but found my bow kicked out as the stern went in.

Ah, perhaps I didn't mention that the other person has, by then, alighted with the front rope, thus preventing the bow from straying far. So I guess it would not be an ideal technique for a single-hander.

Favourite is to come in dead slow at shallow angle so that the stern is about 3 - 4' off the bank when the bow touches. Then hook my boat hook under the armco whilst enganing reverse. I then pull the boat in against the outward trust from reverse. Usually this results in me being able to step off with the centre rope and pull the bow in.

Top Cat

As Mr. Boiler says, a good tip, and blooming obvious once someone else has mentioned it. Have a greeno.

Great advice , its good to see all the different approaches.

I took Grace ( modern 57') out on my own for the first time last week and tried a few techniques.

Favourite is to come in dead slow at shallow angle so that the stern is about 3 - 4' off the bank when the bow touches. Then hook my boat hook under the armco whilst enganing reverse. I then pull the boat in against the outward trust from reverse. Usually this results in me being able to step off with the centre rope and pull the bow in. Not exactly tidy but it works well enough.

Another technique that worked once was , dither whether or not to use mooring, drift past slowly, decide too late to go for it , put engine in reverse. Boat stops and starts to go backwards swinging towards the correct bank keep going till it touches , put engine in forward to stop boat, wait for bow to swing in. Just like reverse parallel parking in a car. All done in flat calm conditions with ( and this is the important bit) NO audience. Tried it twice since complete and utter failure.

But for me the boat hook under the armco seems to be the key to it

Top Cat

The boat hook method is fine until it gets stuck and you are on a river with a bit of flow unable to get the hook out and suddenly the shaft is forcing you off the stern, you're trying to reach the gear control to knock it in to neutral before you are shoved overboard when suddenly there is a load bang and fortunately the hook has fractured and the shaft is free. That is what happened to me using this technique on the Avon when I thought I would just ease the stern in to pick my wife up on the lock landing, just about the nearest I have come to an accident that could have seen me off the counter with the boat going astern.

The boat hook method is fine until it gets stuck and you are on a river with a bit of flow unable to get the hook out and suddenly the shaft is forcing you off the stern, you're trying to reach the gear control to knock it in to neutral before you are shoved overboard when suddenly there is a load bang and fortunately the hook has fractured and the shaft is free. That is what happened to me using this technique on the Avon when I thought I would just ease the stern in to pick my wife up on the lock landing, just about the nearest I have come to an accident that could have seen me off the counter with the boat going astern.

Thanks for the warning I will bear that in mind when we are on the Thames next month

Top Cat

Why not just bring the stern in, step off with the centreline, pull a friction stop on a bollard & the front will normally come in by itself. If that doesn't work, so what? You'll be moving off again in a minute or two anyway.

And where there is arcmo.

Can you think of a lock landing with no armco?!

Why not just bring the stern in, step off with the centreline, pull a friction stop on a bollard & the front will normally come in by itself. If that doesn't work, so what? You'll be moving off again in a minute or two anyway.

Thus speaks a man whose bote draws only 24"... :D

Yes - Astwood top lock landing barely has a bank of any description.

And even if it gets repaired it will be brickwork not Armco as pretty much every lock in my neck of the woods is.

Yes - Astwood top lock landing barely has a bank of any description.

And even if it gets repaired it will be brickwork not Armco as pretty much every lock in my neck of the woods is.

Hmmm brickwork. Good point!

Thus speaks a man whose bote draws only 24"... biggrin.png

1.Tyle Mill, Newbury Town, Hungerford (possibly)

2. Never mind the quality, feel the width. Smiley grin face.

Oh yes... Baits Bite, Bottisham, Upware, Brandon, Denver Sluice, Salter's Lode, Marmont Priory, Ashline, Stanground, Hermitage, Brownshill Staunch, St Ives, Godmanchester.......

All the locks in East Anglia.

I have seen one bit of Armco piling- but my piling hooks don't fit!

Intersting read, i braved my fitst locks over last weekend, maged ti di what i think was a reasonable - snd boat still floats ;).

Got told off over protocol for not helping another boat through while i awaited my turn, given i had no idea what i was doing, so watching, simply answered i did not want to sink them.

just got a strange look for mu caution !

Alan

• Greenie 1

Intersting read, i braved my fitst locks over last weekend, maged ti di what i think was a reasonable - snd boat still floats wink.png.

Got told off over protocol for not helping another boat through while i awaited my turn, given i had no idea what i was doing, so watching, simply answered i did not want to sink them.

just got a strange look for mu caution !

Alan

I gave you a "greenie" cos your reply made me smile but what is the protocol? If you're single handing you surely can't be expected to lock others through. And although I'm always glad of help, I don't expect it. Is there an accepted protocol that we don't know?

Am never sure what the protocol is with regards to single handerhelping at locks. As a crewed up boat ( well Mrs Dhar & Dog) I wouldn't necessary expect a single gander coming the other way to assist, though of course the opening of a gate ( and not needing to close again!) would be a big help!

Every lock on the HNC or Rochdale(sorry I don't seem to be able to get my reply out of the "quote" box)

Edited by NickF

I gave you a "greenie" cos your reply made me smile but what is the protocol? If you're single handing you surely can't be expected to lock others through. And although I'm always glad of help, I don't expect it. Is there an accepted protocol that we don't know?

Like the boat behind who with his wife's help held their boat on the lock moorings until we were nearly up then came and sat on the bottom gate waiting for us to leave and close up. You should have seen his face as he crossed the bottom gates as we went out without closing up. He couldn't see the boat coming the other way from where he was sitting.