Yeast & Sugar

Glynn

Featured Posts

Start with 4 teaspoons of dried brewers yeast in a 2l milk carton part filled with blood warm water. Shake well (stops the yeast coagulating).

Add 6-8 teaspoons of sugar and shake again.

As a cook would say - set aside - in a warm place until it starts to bubble.

pour into loo.

Doubtless others will vary the quantity.

Blue is very pervasive - it may take several attempts for the scheme to work - the loo should smell of bread baking.

Yeasts need a bit of warmth to keep going, so success in the winter may be elusive.

Hi All,

If I want to start using yeast/sugar combo, how much of each for a 50 gallon PO tank ?.

Tank has had Elsan blue in it previously.

I keep hearing that the yeast & sugar thing is the way to go to eliminate odours.

Flush the tank thoroughly at least twice add a good does of yeast, pre start it in a jug or something. It may fail if so repeat the flush out. One drop of blue is enough to kill the yeast.

Glynn, why experiment with something which is great for making beer and bread only when very precise recipes are followed, and may or may not work out ok in your poo tank depending on whether or not you use sugar in the right proportions and the method you follow as long as your tank size and conditions are the compatible?

On Graham's advice above, for example, you've already paid for 2 or 3 pump outs and, as he says, 1 drop of blue left is enough to kill the yeast. Remember, there's probably been blue all the way to the top of your tank walls - any rinse short of a full tank won't even touch it.

For just a few quid, you can buy a year's supply of an enzyme-based purpose-made treatment with precise instructions. Run your tank without blue, add the stuff anyway and if it doesn't work that'll be the blue and you've wasted 50p. Once the blue has gone following some full tank pump outs, it'll work because you'll be dosing correctly. With yeast, it's trial and error, so you'll never really know if your mix is wrong or you're still suffering from the formaldehyde poisoning from the blue residue.

Just my view; there'll be others to choose from. :)

Try it without anything. If worked for me.

You can always add something to the tank later if it smells.

Edited to remove the result of phat phingers on a touch screen keyboard (yet again).

Edited by cuthound

after a pump out with a good flush out

I used 1 teaspoon of yeast a good tablespoon of sugar in lukewarm cup of water left about 1 hour then flushed toilet a couple of times (monty had a flushing option on its macerating toilet)

I think it took 3 or 4 pump outs on full tanks, before it took hold I did this for about 3 years before I sold monty.

and I have to say no smell but montys PO tank was metal and don't know if this affects outcome over plastic.

Being a brewer myself the yeast will only ferment until it has turned all the sugar to alcohol then it will die, also it will need to be kept above 15c to work.

Neil

Neil, surely there will be sugars in the sewerage and surely the very action of the yeast on that mass of matter will produce heat. Also I think you will find that yeast will work at lower temperatures than 15C. I can remember my grandmother keeping gallon jars fermenting, very slowly in a very chilly larder on a stone floor.

Glynn, why experiment with something which is great for making beer and bread only when very precise recipes are followed, and may or may not work out ok in your poo tank depending on whether or not you use sugar in the right proportions and the method you follow as long as your tank size and conditions are the compatible?

On Graham's advice above, for example, you've already paid for 2 or 3 pump outs and, as he says, 1 drop of blue left is enough to kill the yeast. Remember, there's probably been blue all the way to the top of your tank walls - any rinse short of a full tank won't even touch it.

For just a few quid, you can buy a year's supply of an enzyme-based purpose-made treatment with precise instructions. Run your tank without blue, add the stuff anyway and if it doesn't work that'll be the blue and you've wasted 50p. Once the blue has gone following some full tank pump outs, it'll work because you'll be dosing correctly. With yeast, it's trial and error, so you'll never really know if your mix is wrong or you're still suffering from the formaldehyde poisoning from the blue residue.

Just my view; there'll be others to choose from. smile.png

Can you share the make of this enzyme

Thank you

Neil, surely there will be sugars in the sewerage and surely the very action of the yeast on that mass of matter will produce heat. Also I think you will find that yeast will work at lower temperatures than 15C. I can remember my grandmother keeping gallon jars fermenting, very slowly in a very chilly larder on a stone floor.

Depends upon the strain of yeast. Normal brewers yeast ferments down to about 15 degrees C, but you can get yeast specifically for lagers, which continue fermenting, albeit at a lower pace, right down to about 2 degrees C. Also the colder the liquid, the more CO2 it can hold, hence the reason why quality German lagers are so fizzy and hold their head until the next day.

I would seek one of these strains out from a home brew shop to use in your pooh tank.

I've been testing Silky RX as we just installed a new sanitation / septic tank system at our boat club. It works very well in holding tanks. Initial results suggest not so good for cassettes probably 'cos it doesn't have enough time to work.

It's available here http://www.silkymarine.co.uk/silky-rx/

Edited by Midnight

I only use fresh yeast that I skim off the fermenting beer and it will stop at 15c but the outside temp can be lower as it makes heat while fermenting, but as has been said you can buy dried yeast that will ferment a lot lower, and if you eat sugary stuff then it will carry on fermenting.

Neil

Ive bought some active dried baking yeast, is this no good ?.

If it's the sort you have to activate first, by mixing it with some warm water and sugar and letting it froth up, then that's fine.

We sometimes got our tank to a good state by using yeast, and when it worked it was fine. But often after a pump out it was a struggle to get it going again -- a too thorough pump out isn't good.