mushrooms with no oil.

xub1

Featured Posts

Forgive me if this sounds extremely unbelievably basic, but sometimes you discover something so obvious and wonder how you could get so far in life and never know it. I blame habit and the culture you learn.

The other evening I was grilling some bacon and just so happened to have some mushrooms which would only go off, so I decided to just see if I could fit a couple sliced up around the bacon. I didn't put any oil on for some reason and thought that they would just dry up like hard cardboard, but nothing lost if they did. But when I came to eat them they were absolutely succulent and juicy. I was amazed.

I know it sounds like something out of Viz letters page, but I'm on the level. All my life I had put oil on. Such a basic thing as this and I missed it. Astounding how it can happen.

It happens all the time. A couple of months ago I was all ready to get some washing up done. I boil a kettle for the hot water. But there was already some hot water in the kettle, but only a mug full. So for some reason I had the thought to make this do, and I poured it into the first mug and washed it, then into the second, and so on, doing the plates and cutlery and pans, all from one cup of water. Then just rinsed off with cold water.

Never ever done this in my life. Ok, it's not life changing, but it certainly helps. I do all washing up this way now. But again, habits drummed into me which I never question. Makes you think just how much is to be discovered of these little things, which I find more facinating because they are so ordinary and obvious.

They are probably nicer cooked in the bacon fat than they are in plain oil. Not such a good idea if you are cooking Tesco value bacon which contains enough water to sink your boat.

I thought of that - the fat from the bacon will cook the mushrooms. But I then noticed that Xub was grilling the bacon, so the fat and other emissions would drip through the mesh and down into the bottom of the grill pan, so I am not quite sure how he did it.

Some "value" products do offer good value for money. Tesco's mushrooms are amongst these. Their Value bacon is most certainly not - I tried it only once - and the same remarks apply to the round, greasy, greyish thing which passes as a Value pork pie.

Welcome to the forum xub1...

Yes mushrooms can also be cooked beautifully in a saucepan with just a couple of teaspoons of water instead of oil. Delicious!

I'd say a bit of bacon fat was present in the pan with yours though even with no oil added.

Not sure I buy the thing about washing up with one cupful of water though. Surely it was stone cold by the end, and horribly grubby!

Not sure I buy the thing about washing up with one cupful of water though. Surely it was stone cold by the end, and horribly grubby!

It reminded me of that scene in "The Young Ones" in which, to save money, the lads run one bath and use it one after another. By the time Neil gets in it looks like a muddy swamp.

When I cook mushrooms I put a single spray of Flylight in the pan, bung the mushrooms in, pop a lid on and turn the heat quite high (the same sort of heat you might use to fry bacon for example. I give the pan a quick shake every minute or so to keep them moving but do not lift the lid. Very soon you will hear the mushrooms start to "sing". That is when you turn the heat down really low and let them simmer. The high heat to start forces the natural moisture out of the mushroom and as they cook they are cooking in their own juice which will eventually be completely re-absorbed and the only flavour you will get is of pure unadulterated mushroom.

I thought of that - the fat from the bacon will cook the mushrooms. But I then noticed that Xub was grilling the bacon, so the fat and other emissions would drip through the mesh and down into the bottom of the grill pan, so I am not quite sure how he did it.

Some "value" products do offer good value for money. Tesco's mushrooms are amongst these. Their Value bacon is most certainly not - I tried it only once - and the same remarks apply to the round, greasy, greyish thing which passes as a Value pork pie.

Depends on the grill I suppose, some don't let the fat run away. They will cook fine without any fat but are rather nice cooked in bacon fat.

Yes, some of the value products are great, but I've found all of the value meat in Tesco to be awful. I have no idea what they do to the value chicken but I can't eat it at all, it has a weird texture.

Thanks for the welcome, folks.

I have remembered another. I was making a mug of tea, just putting the loose tea in the bottom of the mug, and my friend says that they will do their own, thanks. So we were chatting and the kettle boils and this character I noticed put the tea into the tea strainer which I didn't bother with because it involved a teapot and faff, and they simple poured the hot water through the strained full of tea. And it works for coffee, too. Never in a million years would i have thought of doing that. I have been taught that you do the normal teapot and then,pour through the strainer. It is facinating how some people think so well out of the box.

Delta9....I went to Grassington in The dales last Sunday and there was a farmers market on. I saw some bacon that looked like the good stuff that disappeared decades ago, and when i cooked it it was fantastic, but very very salty, but that is the place to get the good stuff, farmers markets.

Athy....yes, the fat as you rightly observed did drop through the mesh, so there was no fat at all connected with the mushrooms, but they did well. In fact I have just done some more now, just to see if it wasn't a fluke. I can report that all is perfect as I described. The problem is the deceptive look of them....wisened.

Mike the boilerman...... The water was grubby, do doubt about it, but still warm enough, and once the items swilled off with cold water you would never know just how bad that water was. Try it, man. Just brave it through and you will see that it works a treat :) Thanks for the welcome.

Athy... The Young Ones. I used to really like that show. It was something of its time, of course, but I certaionly tuned in every week. And it would be Neil who got the poor end of the stick. I can imagine that water.....slime/sewage. So funny.

Cheshire-rose....I will try it. I will. I suppose it is a steam cook thing. I love the taste of mushrooms.

Delta9....yes, I agree that done in the bacon fat is certainly best. It is the dripping. I had heard dripping talked about a lot, so tried some. It was kind of alright, but really was the fat lardy taste you'd expect.

Matchpoint005..... microwave. I have been thinking about getting one. I'm in two minds. All I have is two burners and a grill. A microwave would allow frozen pies even to be done in a trice. You are a bad person. Now i know I will have to get one. Damn. I have avoided one for so long by blotting them out of the equasion, but now you mention it, Now I think of it. And it was at the back of my mind.........so its £49.99 from Argos this Monday. I'm thinking of baked potatoes and frozen stuff form Farmfoods, even those full roast dinner for a quid......been dying to try one. :)

Welcome xub1

It can be a whole new world afloat ...............

Wait until you're iced in - I can wash my body, my hair, yesterday's smalls and the dog from just one strategically organised kettle of water heated on the fire at a push!

Whole mushrooms, microwave.

They taste of mushroom that way.

Proper good flat mushrooms every time - ROAST - they REALLY taste of mushrooms that way (no zapping ray machine aboard!)... do think about the power consumption if you are contemplating a microwave.

Edited by metanoia

Wait until you're iced in - I can wash my body, my hair, yesterday's smalls and the dog from just one strategically organised kettle of water heated on the fire at a push!

I must remember not to visit you in freezing weather...

Especially not for tea...biggrin.png:D :D

(Edit to insert missing worm.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Mike the boilerman...... The water was grubby, do doubt about it, but still warm enough, and once the items swilled off with cold water you would never know just how bad that water was. Try it, man. Just brave it through and you will see that it works a treat smile.png Thanks for the welcome.

Errr no fanx. Copious hot water for proper washing up isn't THAT hard to come by!! :D

(I'm kwite fussy about stuff like this for a bloke!!)

Errr no fanx. Copious hot water for proper washing up isn't THAT hard to come by!! biggrin.png

(I'm kwite fussy about stuff like this for a bloke!!)

Must agree - note earlier post - no mention of pots!!! Me, dog and smalls can suffer - but not what we eat off/from...

So, hope you'll stop by for tea, MtB?

Must agree - note earlier post - no mention of pots!!! Me, dog and smalls can suffer - but not what we eat off/from...

So, hope you'll stop by for tea, MtB?

Well there's always an outside chance!

Where are you? Are you the Gemini moored at Swindon?

Careful now, the GEMINI at Swindon is a fully converted small Woolwich built in, I'd guess, about 1940...

No doubt someone will be along shortly to say I have all of this wrong!!

Does that avatar REALLY look like a fully converted small Woolwich.... I wish.............

Nope, but 'benefit of the doubt' and all that!

I'll still call in for a cuppa if you are anywhere sensible!

biggrin.png

(Should I bring a geetar?!)

As me old dad would say "your presence is always welcome but keep your presents for ............"

Oh - and no Geetars thanks