Pram covers - who's got one?

Featured Posts

I'm doing a bit of research into pram covers. Aesthetically they've never really appealed to me but for practical reasons I'm looking into whether one would be a good idea to make better use of my cruiser stern as a usable space (not for cruising with one up).

Thing is, now I've started looking into this, it turns out there's several different frame configurations, ways in which they fold and different cover types. So I'd like to hear the opinions of other boaters who have a cruiser stern and a pram cover, please. What sort do you have? What's good about it and what's not so good now you're use to living with it?

Please can I request that the anti pram cover brigade don't take this thread off topic because I'm trying to learn from genuine experience here, rather than assumptions. Thanks. :)

As you know I also hate them with a passion, Having said that I have one that I made myself, They are a great space to have, more so for you as you have a mooring, it really is another room that you can put stuff in.

edited to add : the boat is warmer and in your case will also be drier on the back deck.

We have one on Gamebird (26' Sea Otter).

It allows boating in the rain without waterproofs, and has slowed the delamination of the rear deckboards, which would have needed replacement by now had we not fitted the cover.

The sides are removeable, so it can be reduced to a roof (sunshade!) in good weather.

I prefer to have the windscreen out of the way when moving, as this improves visibility to a surprising degree, without letting the rain in. This is one of the downsides of ours, as the design uses straps in the windscreen to tension the fabric and keep the front frame in place. If we were redesigning it, I'd make the screen in three panels, instead of one single panel, each rolling up and leaving straps in place to keep the thing together and in shape. As it is, I attach a length of rope to the bottom of the screen, which folds over the top of the canopy, and is tied loosely to the back fender chains. A couple of webbing straps fit through the roof fittings and round the front support. It takes about a minute to do.

The other downside is the increased air draft. Not a problem in Scotland, but some English canals need the canopy down. We have two options for this, with the fabric folded forward onto the roof, or across the stern. It takes a couple of minutes to do.

Thanks Iain. What kind of metal frame does yours have? (Eg Where does it hinge? Is it in two parts? What's it like when folded away?)

There are two frames. The front one pivots on the roof, and the back one pivots on the back seat. If it's down for a few days, the back frame can be removed and fixed to the front one, but if it's just down for a short time, I tend to leave the back one sticking over the stern.

My previous NB (cruiser stern) and my current NB (semi) both have pram hoods. Wouldn't be without them. I would never dream of putting one on a traditional working boat for example, but on clone boats can see no problem whatsoever. It is only a bit of cloth on some alloy tubes forming a temporary structure; can't see what all the fuss is about.

Interestingly some working boats

Edited by Guest

Did you just fall asleep there, Catweasel?

Fell off me perch smile.png

Wouldn't let me edit for some reason!

Trying to say that some working boats had a hood, known as a rain shed IIRC.

Edited by Guest

canopy

Best pic I can find so far.

The back frame runs diagonally down the line of the side panel to near the front of the seat.

Canopy fasteners are turn studs holding the side panels on, and "lift the dot"s around the top of the dodger.

Edited by Iain_S

Hi,

we also have a black prince boat, duchess 4 I think.

We had a pram hood fitted a year ago. I agree that they don't look good but immensely practical.

We haven't ever cruised with it up. The thought of catching it on a bridge is too worrying. Also we like cruising with it down as we feel more outdoors and with nature, not looking out of (bad) windows.

Ours has a hoop fitted to the roof. this folds forwards when down. There is a hoop fitted to the stern rail, with another smaller hoop attached to that. This folds back when down.

To lower the hood it needs to be unvelcroed from the front hoop and lowered towards the stern. The fitter said that to lower it quickly if cruising with it up that it can be unclipped from the front at both hoops lower to the rear. This is quite quick and can be done when approaching a bridge. The downside is that the front hoop blocks the exit from the deck.

The upside is that with the hood and some roof drains fitted at the front of it (black prince gutters run front front to back with no drains) the step down to the back door doesn't fill with water any more (only has a drain on one side and come in the back door if the boat leans) and the deck boards don't leak into the bilge.

We currently have a completely dry bilge.

It is also a good place to put wet waterproofs.

Last winter I used it as a workshop to make some new cupboards and will do it again this year.

Overall opinion, ugly but very useful.

hope that helps

Dave

Hi,

we also have a black prince boat, duchess 4 I think.

We had a pram hood fitted a year ago. I agree that they don't look good but immensely practical.

We haven't ever cruised with it up. The thought of catching it on a bridge is too worrying. Also we like cruising with it down as we feel more outdoors and with nature, not looking out of (bad) windows.

Ours has a hoop fitted to the roof. this folds forwards when down. There is a hoop fitted to the stern rail, with another smaller hoop attached to that. This folds back when down.

To lower the hood it needs to be unvelcroed from the front hoop and lowered towards the stern. The fitter said that to lower it quickly if cruising with it up that it can be unclipped from the front at both hoops lower to the rear. This is quite quick and can be done when approaching a bridge. The downside is that the front hoop blocks the exit from the deck.

The upside is that with the hood and some roof drains fitted at the front of it (black prince gutters run front front to back with no drains) the step down to the back door doesn't fill with water any more (only has a drain on one side and come in the back door if the boat leans) and the deck boards don't leak into the bilge.

We currently have a completely dry bilge.

It is also a good place to put wet waterproofs.

Last winter I used it as a workshop to make some new cupboards and will do it again this year.

Overall opinion, ugly but very useful.

hope that helps

Dave

Thanks Dave. I too have the joys of the back step filling with rainwater, and the bilges. Would you be able to post a photo on here of your pram cover please? Who built it for you?

Our pram hood comes off end of March and goes back on end of October. Cruising with it on the sides are normally rolled up, the front always rolled up. The back is sometimes rolled up, all depends on the wind and rain. So, the bilges are drier in the winter. We have a radio aerial on front of boat which is same height as the cover, so is useful as a gauge when going under low stuff. Don't like to see pramhoods on other peoples boats though :)

if you would like to come to grove lock marina sometime I could show you my pram cover and how it folds down etc. I have it on a cruiser stern boat and there are other boats there that you could also look at. if you are interested I can pm you my contact details.

clive

We had ours made by Wilson Covers. We were very pleased with the style and fabric.

Ours split into two across the middle, front dropped down onto roof and back onto the wood surround of the cruiser stern. The supports were fixed to the wood surround which released to allow for the bit of give which then , once up, tightened up to give rigidity.

Easy to clean and worth having for the extra covered room as we have 4 dogs (able to dry them off before charging into the boat.

Never had it in situ when out on the water, folded down umbrella like but only took literally 10 mins to put up and zip up once moored.

if you would like to come to grove lock marina sometime I could show you my pram cover and how it folds down etc. I have it on a cruiser stern boat and there are other boats there that you could also look at. if you are interested I can pm you my contact details.

clive

Thanks Clive. I'd like to take you up on that offer. Cheers :)

Staffordshire Canopies supplied ours. Firstly making a paper pattern then fitting once made. I do have a couple of links to blogs where I mentioned it. And this is back in 2007 and they have done well.

They are low, well hubby and me are only a bit over 5 ft and when necessary we can cruise easily with the canopy up even getting under the lift bridges on the Oxford Canal!

The canopy folds back on to the seat on the back of our Black Prince.. Folds very neatly enough for me to steer seated on top of it.

Make sure you get the front screen zipped so you can fold it up if you are in a position to be able to cruise along because if it is raining there is no way you will be able to see through it.

In any case it has made a huge difference when moored especially with having two dogs. In the winter the wind and rain is kept at bay from the stern doors and it is a great (extra) space on the back deck when moored in wet weather.

So Link One...... Link Two

This is Tim and Lisa of Stafforshire Canopies

Yup. I regret

Staffordshire Canopies supplied ours. Firstly making a paper pattern then fitting once made. I do have a couple of links to blogs where I mentioned it. And this is back in 2007 and they have done well.

They are low, well hubby and me are only a bit over 5 ft and when necessary we can cruise easily with the canopy up even getting under the lift bridges on the Oxford Canal!

The canopy folds back on to the seat on the back of our Black Prince.. Folds very neatly enough for me to steer seated on top of it.

Make sure you get the front screen zipped so you can fold it up if you are in a position to be able to cruise along because if it is raining there is no way you will be able to see through it.

In any case it has made a huge difference when moored especially with having two dogs. In the winter the wind and rain is kept at bay from the stern doors and it is a great (extra) space on the back deck when moored in wet weather.

So Link One...... Link Two

This is Tim and Lisa of Stafforshire Canopies

Thanks, Sue :)