Eberspacher too loud?

RichM

Featured Posts

I am currently moored up in a marina with pontoons separating boats, with two boats in each bay. I am half deaf so my perception of loudness is different to the norm.

I can heat my water via the engine or Eberspacher only. Does anyone know if an Eberspacher is generally too loud for use earlyish (6-7am) in the morning in a marina? I don't really want to annoy other boaters!

Cheers

Arm

Hi Arm, I winter in a marina set up as you describe. I do find the exhaust note of these heaters annoying, loud enough to wake me from my sleep. I had contemplated moving because of an offending heater but another boat moved between us and the problem ceased. Thanks for consideration.

Thanks all

Well, yes, they are irritatingly loud, I have one in my truck and the noise irritates me. How much hot water do you need at that time in the morning?

In one hour the Eberspacher heats enough water for one shower in the morning and a few hours of hot water for the dishes. It seems quite convenient for the most part but I wouldn't call it economical.

Edited by Armitage Shanks

We had an eber in our NB - the noise seemed unreasonably loud to me, but our 'neighboiur' whose boat was alongside and only 2 feet away said he didn't notice it. The next boat along said they couldn't hear it at all.

Maybe we are too sensitive to 'potential disturbances' - why not ask your neighbour if it disturbs them. At least you will then know - and - you may be surprised.

The cheapest way to heat water whilst stationary is with an instantaneous gas hot water heater, like Morco or the old Paloma. These are brilliant and quiet, folk are seeing sense again as they are making a comeback. You could consider a mains immersion heater element in your Calorifier if you have one on a mains hookup.

Edited by bizzard

Our Mikuni is pretty quiet. As you walk up to the boat you can hear a slight noise but it's hard to say where it's coming from. Our neighbour in the marina (just a few feet away on the other side of the pontoon) also has some type of diesel heater, again you can hear something when standing alongside, but even though his exhaust is pointing at us you certainly can't hear it inside the boat.

On the other hand I've heard some really noisy ones. I guess it just depends on how well it's installed / whether a decent silencer is fitted.

I am currently moored up in a marina with pontoons separating boats, with two boats in each bay. I am half deaf so my perception of loudness is different to the norm.

I can heat my water via the engine or Eberspacher only. Does anyone know if an Eberspacher is generally too loud for use earlyish (6-7am) in the morning in a marina? I don't really want to annoy other boaters!

Cheers

Arm

It sounds like you don't have a silencer kit fitted. I have a Webasto Top C which is fitted with both intake & exhaust silencers. It's very quiet & not intrusive at all. I have heard some unsilenced units running & they are extremely loud but it need not be so. Simple answer is to get a silencer kit fitted.

Plenty on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-intake-silencer-22-mm-for-Webasto-or-Eberspacher-water-heaters-FREEPOST-/181392180575?hash=item2a3bd1055f:g:WQMAAOxyNThTcgx9

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-EBERSPACHER-WEBASTO-EXHAUST-SILENCER-MUFFLER-24mm-/321942108383?hash=item4af53eb8df:g:o38AAOxyVaBStZvd

Edited by Flyboy

We've spent the last week moored on the last length between Fiddle & Bond and St Vincent Street Bridge in Birmingham. Moored on the other side and a boat length in front is a boat with the noisiest Eberspacher/Webasto I've ever heard. However, I don't find it particularly annoying even though it is running at 10pm, what I to do find annoying is the silence when it cycles off because I just know it is going to start up again soon.

But, it is never on in the morning so we can sleep in ok

We are moored in Penkridge. There's a boat on the off side long term mooring. It has, I assume, one of these heaters.

We certainly know when they have it flashed up. Sounds like an industrial unit ventilation system. Wakes us up early in the morning.

We will have to move.

My Eberspacher was noisy until I fitted a silencer - from memory £50 on EBay (edited to add - just checked, genuine Eberspacher silencer on EBay for £27.70)

We have one fitted to our Eberspacher hot air blower heater. It was quite noisy without it and sounded a bit like a jet engine when it started up. The silencer does drop the noise level down to a reasonable level. Not expensive and worth fitting.

A while ago, on a VM, went to ask someone to turn their engine off, as it was 9.45pm.

It was only as I neared the stern of the boat that I realised it was their heating.(Don't know which one). As I couldn't ask them to turn off their heating we left the next morning.

With my Eberspacher, it's the "donk........... donk.......... donk......... donk....... donk..... donk.... donk... donk.. donk.. donk..donk.." that bothers me most inside the boat. Inside I can hear the jet engine effect too, but outside its not bad at all. Does anyone know if there's a way to deaden the donking?

With my Eberspacher, it's the "donk........... donk.......... donk......... donk....... donk..... donk.... donk... donk.. donk.. donk..donk.." that bothers me most inside the boat. Inside I can hear the jet engine effect too, but outside its not bad at all. Does anyone know if there's a way to deaden the donking?

Are you sure you haven't left the Bolinder running? ;)

Edited to correct the autocorrect's version of Bolinder, volunteer indeed.

Edited by cuthound

Sounds like your heater's fuel pump. Put a bit of rubber between it and the surface it's mounted on, maybe?

Are you sure you haven't left the Bolinder running? ;)

Edited to correct the autocorrect's version of Bolinder, volunteer indeed.

Nah, the donk isn't deep for that, although it's hard to tell that from the way I wrote it because I couldn't find a bass clef on my tablet keyboard! :)

Sounds like your heater's fuel pump. Put a bit of rubber between it and the surface it's mounted on, maybe?

The Eber is mounted on what look like C shaped metal anti-vibration mountings, but there's no rubberised bit. I take it the pump is in the main unit and not a separate unit I've just never found?

Edited by Sea Dog

The Eber is mounted on what look like C shaped metal anti-vibration mountings, but there's no rubberised bit. I take it the pump is in the main unit and not a separate unit I've just never found?

Ah, could be. On mine (now removed for peace and quiet) it was a separate 'ticker' pump.

Ah, could be. On mine (now removed for peace and quiet) it was a separate 'ticker' pump.

Well, it's a helluva ticker, but I suppose I'm gonna have to get in there and look for it unless someone with 4 hydronic knowledge tells me it's in the unit! Why is the damned pump so noisy anyway? It only has to shift 1/2 a litre an hour (but at a high pressure I suppose).

I had trouble with my eber some time ago & i had to strip it to decoke it , change some gaskets & a little filter . My model was a hydronic D4 WSC & its dosing pump is actually inside the heater , whereas i think that on other models the pump is external .

Having pulled it apart & fixed an otherwise inoperable heater worth £££ i actually find the donk donk & jet engine noises satisfying & not remotely annoying , but i only run it for an hour at a time for hot water .

If you cant find your dosing pump you ve probably got a D4 or D5 WSC