Eberspacher too loud?

RichM

Featured Posts

I have an Eberspacher D8LC ( 8kw blown air) on our cruiser.

The fuel dosing pump is separate from the Eberspacher unit. It is actually mounted very close to the fuel tank and 'ticks / clicks' in use.

Easy to find - just follow either the small diameter copper pipe from the eber, or trace the 'clicks'.

On our NB the Eber D5W dosing pump is close to ( but outside of) the Eberspacher unit, Again can be found by following the 'clicks'.

You are looking for something like this situated between the fuel tank and the unit

s-l1600.jpg

Alan, I know nothing about these heaters but are you sure that you and others are talking about the same thing as SeaDog? The ticking you describe sounds to me similar to a Lucas fuel pump tick but SeaDog was describing a 'Donk'.

Dunno for sure, but they seem different to me?

Alan, I know nothing about these heaters but are you sure that you and others are talking about the same thing as SeaDog? The ticking you describe sounds to me similar to a Lucas fuel pump tick but SeaDog was describing a 'Donk'.

I (obviously) cannot comment on Seadogs installation or his perception of a Donk vs a Click.

I have been thru my Eber manual and the dosing pump is as per the picture I posted, there are several pages in the installation manual about how to correctly install the dosing pump.

Maybe Seadog does not have a rubber 'buffer' between the dosing pump and the boat bulkhead ( or whatever it is mounted on) so on every cycle it is not only 'clicking' but 'donking' metal to metal contact with the vibration.

Just a thought.

I suspect that they are talking about the same thing, but mine, definitely 'donks'! Sounds like someone tapping on the hull with a spanner.

Thanks Chubby and Alan - mine is a D4WSC, but I've just left the boat for Xmas so I'll have to investigate further when I go back in Jan.

Joe, I'd make sure it's mounted flexibly without any noise shorts to the hull if you can, then you might be able to enjoy the ticking instead of the donking!

I suppose all this stuff is still helping the OP, since it may help him to quieten his heater for a guilt-free early morning shower.

Maybe Seadog does not have a rubber 'buffer' between the dosing pump and the boat bulkhead ( or whatever it is mounted on) so on every cycle it is not only 'clicking' but 'donking' metal to metal contact with the vibration.

Makes perfect sense ?

Makes perfect sense

To me too, and once I find the pesky thing I'll fettle it. I suspected it was inside the Eberspacher, which now seems likely from the above advice too, but these noises travel once they short to the hull so can be quite difficult to find in confined spaces.

Thanks for the input guys.

The dosing pump is a solenoid operated unit. To make it quiet, it needs to be mounted on a resilient mounting, and it will help if the pump is fitted below the level of the fuel tank. A gravity feed means the pump does not have to suck, and a positive head dampens the operation.

The dosing pump is a solenoid operated unit. To make it quiet, it needs to be mounted on a resilient mounting, and it will help if the pump is fitted below the level of the fuel tank. A gravity feed means the pump does not have to suck, and a positive head dampens the operation.

You may well be right - but that is totally at odds with the Eberspacher installation manual, where, under "WARNINGS" it states :

Caution! Safety instructions for the fuel supply!

• The fuel must not be conveyed by gravity or overpressure in the fuel tank.

The dosing pump should be above the fuel tank (up to 1 metre)

Pressure height from vehicle tank to dosing pump:

a = max. 1000 mm

You may well be right - but that is totally at odds with the Eberspacher installation manual, where, under "WARNINGS" it states :

Caution! Safety instructions for the fuel supply!

• The fuel must not be conveyed by gravity or overpressure in the fuel tank.

The dosing pump should be above the fuel tank (up to 1 metre)

Pressure height from vehicle tank to dosing pump:

a = max. 1000 mm

Thanks Alan, that's an interesting addition. My Eberspacher is in the engine space just a bit lower than my steerers step - which is also the level of the top of the fuel tank. If this has been compiled with in the original (Simon Piper) fit, then the pump would need to be above the unit itself, so would have to be separate to the main Eberspacher D4WSC.

There is a Pdf on the Butlertechnic website showing the installation methods / requirements for the D4WSC.

On page 8 It shows the dosing pump as being a separate and external to the 'main unit'

On page 10 it shows it 'internal to the main unit'

Maybe it is a 'separate unit' that can be installed in a niche in the main unit if so desired.

I have the pfd but cannot post a copy.

Google

"D4WSC installation"

It should come up in the 1st link that google finds.

Interesting to note that the D4W uses 4 amps in use, + 1.25 amps for the water pump.

Have the eber on for 24/7 and you are using 126Ah per day ( and folks complain about the 40Ah per day a fridge uses)

A boat a few spaces down from me has one fitted, and I'm sure it's louder than my generator!! Ban 'spachers between 8 and 8, that's what I say! (and get a proper heating system that you put coal onto)

Well, I've got that too - but it's rather nice, in the depths of winter, to press a button without even getting out of bed and have a little lie in whilst the boat gets toasty and the hot water gets hot before you get up and stoke the stove back into life. :)

Anyway, that's exactly what the OP was asking about - he doesn't want to disturb his neighbours. Which is nice.

A boat a few spaces down from me has one fitted, and I'm sure it's louder than my generator!! Ban 'spachers between 8 and 8, that's what I say! (and get a proper heating system that you put coal onto)

Couldn't agree more. Two boats near our marina berth sound like jet engines, one exhaust is only 5 feet from our bedroom window and wakes us up most mornings at 7am. Most inconsiderate and anti-social III

I'm half way through fitting a complete new Eberspacher D4WSC kit at the moment. The exhaust pipe comes with a silencer built into it, if that's any help.

if that's the joe that moors opposite me, please fit three silencers in the exhaust, more if possible,cheers.gif

I'm half way through fitting a complete new Eberspacher D4WSC kit at the moment. The exhaust pipe comes with a silencer built into it, if that's any help.

if that's the joe that moors opposite me, please fit three silencers in the exhaust, more if possible,cheers.gif

Couldn't agree more. Two boats near our marina berth sound like jet engines, one exhaust is only 5 feet from our bedroom window and wakes us up most mornings at 7am. Most inconsiderate and anti-social III

It's just like a noisy engine vs a quiet one. There is no need for boat engines to be noisy, but lots are. As is the case with diesel heaters. Boats either side of us in the marina have them, but we certainly never hear them from inside the boat and when outside, one is vaguely aware of a noise akin to traffic roar coming from somewhere but it is quiet and hard to locate. The noise level of our heater is similar.

Have you talked about it? Surely he'd only be being inconsiderate if he knew he was bothering you and refused to help. Maybe he doesn't know it's loud outside? Maybe it bothers him too but he doesnt realise that his heater has no silencer and it could have? One easy solution may be for him to turn his boat so that his exhaust points in the other direction if that was less likely to bother someone. Another, without involving him, would be for you to turn your boat so that his exhaust and your bedroom were not aligned.

Remember that the subject of this thread was someone trying to be considerate by asking about the effect of his Eber on others around him. Most folks have either bought a boat with these things fitted (well or badly) or have asked the builder for a heating system. Few will have asked for a jet engine specifically to pi$$ off their neighbours! biggrin.png

Edit - sp

Edited by Sea Dog