4LW and Leece Neville

swift1894

Featured Posts

First thought is that it would be a greater worry on a modern flimsily built engine than a 4LW. Second is the side force would increase with the axial distance from crank front main bearing surface to pulley belt groove. I guess one alternator each side would balance side forces to some degree as well.

When I fitted a Leece Neville alternator to my 4LW years ago, I was warned about possible wear on the front crankshaft bearing due to the pull of the belt on one side. Is there any basis for this?

Non whatsoever, there is a roller bearing fitted just behind the crankshaft pulley which will take far more load than you can apply by a pair of "V" Belts.

Steve

Non whatsoever, there is a roller bearing fitted just behind the crankshaft pulley which will take far more load than you can apply by a pair of "V" Belts.

Steve

Not necessarily true, many of the LW series of engines do not have the bearing you speak of. many just have a oil control scroll similar to the flywheel end.

Having said the above either way your still not going to induce enough load with a properly tensioned alternator to cause an issue although you will be causing a little more load on the LW type with a scroll that the type with the bearing due to the extended lever between pulley and the first support bearing.

Edited by martyn 1

When I fitted a Leece Neville alternator to my 4LW years ago, I was warned about possible wear on the front crankshaft bearing due to the pull of the belt on one side. Is there any basis for this?

Why the question, do you think this has caused a problem on your 4LW?

Not necessarily true, many of the LW series of engines do not have the bearing you speak of. many just have a oil control scroll similar to the flywheel end.

Having said the above either way your still not going to induce enough load with a properly tensioned alternator to cause an issue although you will be causing a little more load on the LW type with a scroll that the type with the bearing due to the extended lever between pulley and the first support bearing.

It's a marine 4LW. Don't know if that means it will have the roller bearing or the oil control scroll.

Also the belt is a 7 multi-vee type which I imagine doesn't need as much tension as an ordinary single or twin vee belt setup.

Why the question, do you think this has caused a problem on your 4LW?

No. Just wondered. Edited by swift1894

Also the belt is a 7 multi-vee type which I imagine doesn't need as much tension as an ordinary single or twin vee belt setup.

The major tension on the belt is not from the adjuster, it's from the pull needed to turn the alternator and that is down to the required torque of course. Ideally spin an alternator as fast as you can in order to minimise torque and therefore side thrust.

I suspect the force applied to the front main bearing by the alternator belt is trivial compared to the force applied to it by the weight of the crankshaft plus the downward force of the front piston on the combustion stroke. Although the vector is in a different direction.

(Spelling edit.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman