Boat Insurance

trundler

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Forgive me if there has already been a thread for this, but I couldn't see it.

We have been 6 monthly cruisers on our 45 ft narrowboat for some time and have our insurance with Craft Insure. We have now decided to sell 45 ft and buy( hopefully) 59foot boat to become liveaboards.

Does anyone out there have any recommendations for a good insurance company. Have been getting some quotes, but I always think word of mouth is a pretty good way to go also.

Thank you very much

Mick and Jenny

Hi all,

Forgive me if there has already been a thread for this, but I couldn't see it.

We have been 6 monthly cruisers on our 45 ft narrowboat for some time and have our insurance with Craft Insure. We have now decided to sell 45 ft and buy( hopefully) 59foot boat to become liveaboards.

Does anyone out there have any recommendations for a good insurance company. Have been getting some quotes, but I always think word of mouth is a pretty good way to go also.

Thank you very much

Mick and Jenny

Have you approached Craft insure to see if they will extend your policy?

If you'd over 50 try saga boat insurance

Noo! Noo! Noo! You'll end up being found dead by your front door, lying crushed under a mountain of spam!!

(I would like to add that an older person once told me that - I do not speak from personal experience. I would like to add that, but I can't! ;))

Noo! Noo! Noo! You'll end up being found dead by your front door, lying crushed under a mountain of spam!!

(I would like to add that an older person once told me that - I do not speak from personal experience. I would like to add that, but I can't! wink.png)

Well, I can - I'm with Saga, and they don't send me any more spam than any other insurance company trying to sell me house & car insurance.

I switched to Saga several years ago because they offered me exactly the same policy, with the same underwriters, as my previous insurers, Nautical Insurance, but without the £20 'handling fee'.

(I would like to add that an older person once told me that - I do not speak from personal experience. I would like to add that, but I can't! wink.png)

Never had a spam from Saga in many many years. Maybe better not to believe all your told

That was said tongue in cheek Mac, and doubtless there are worse around giving less of a service, but Saga are.... shall we say, quite persistent. smile.png

Edited to delete double post.

Cant agree Saga have never pushed me or been persistent as you put it

Edited by Graham.m

Never had a spam from Saga in many many years. Maybe better not to believe all your told

Cant agree Saga have never pushed me or been persistent as you put it

My postman and doormat would disagree, and no-one told me really (I passed that milestone a while ago), but if your experience is different that's cool. Maybe you ticked a box I missed or vice versa?

My postman and doormat would disagree, and no-one told me really (I passed that milestone a while ago), but if your experience is different that's cool. Maybe you ticked a box I missed or vice versa?

So which is true?

(I would like to add that an older person once told me that - I do not speak from personal experience. I would like to add that, but I can't! ;))

I see to have got onto Sagas database,and am inundated with junk for all sorts of stuff. Their deals are never that good.

I have been using GJW Direct for many years. They always seem very professional in their dealings with me, but fortunately haven't needed to make a claim.

Ken

GJW hike their premium every year to way above what you would pay if you were a new customer. If you notice and challenge it with a comparison quote from their website they immediately match that. Such insurace-company-typical practice made me defect to Collidge & partners who are a pleasure to deal with and never mess about with prices

Well pickup the phone or email them and they will stop all spam, postal or electronic in the blink of an eye

Did that and wrote a letter - result - exactly nothing. As far as I am concerned Saga are one of the worst junk mail merchants once they get your details and that is despite being told and having them confirm over the phone that all me details were given strictly on the understanding they could only be used for matters directly related to the specific boat insurance.

A verbal statement that a certain insurance company would not cover close family members for using my boat, another popular choice put a condition on cruising the tideway than I consider put me at potential risk of litigation if things went wrong and more than one that stated they would never extend my cover (for a fee) to include a trip to the Medway has sent me to Craftinsure.

GJW hike their premium every year to way above what you would pay if you were a new customer. If you notice and challenge it with a comparison quote from their website they immediately match that. Such insurace-company-typical practice made me defect to Collidge & partners who are a pleasure to deal with and never mess about with prices

I have been using GJW for 8 (?) years and have not found that. (They have been however salty water insurance for 1 and inland and protected coastal for 'tother)

comparing insurances with others on the moorings have not found them much different (they also handled a third party claim without any fuss or bother 6 years ago.....80 ton of ex tanker is inclined to bend things a bit if you cock things up blush.png )

don't worry I'll give warnings of my approach when Sabina H is out and about.....be afraid....be very afraid smile.png

Did that and wrote a letter - result - exactly nothing. As far as I am concerned Saga are one of the worst junk mail merchants once they get your details and that is despite being told and having them confirm over the phone that all me details were given strictly on the understanding they could only be used for matters directly related to the specific boat insurance.

A verbal statement that a certain insurance company would not cover close family members for using my boat, another popular choice put a condition on cruising the tideway than I consider put me at potential risk of litigation if things went wrong and more than one that stated they would never extend my cover (for a fee) to include a trip to the Medway has sent me to Craftinsure.

Tony,

I am sorry but I don't know what you wrote in your letter, but if Saga are continuing to send you marketing mail after you have withdrawn permission for them to do so they are in breach of the DPA and the ICO will sort them out. Copy of letter dates etc to ICO. I have never had such a problem with Saga.

Most Inland water insurance have conditions on cruising Tidal waterway. Mine with Saga just asks that they are informed and they make a decision based on their knowledge of my experience etc. For thinks like the Severn, Portishead to Sharpness they require a pilot, think it is similar for the Wash. Re Verbal they won't do this or that. I suggest you ignore such comments as the refusal could well have been for good reasons related to the specific insured and claims history.

Hi,

I have insured my boat with Saga for several years now, junk mail from them became a problem - I just returned one with 'Not Known at this address' written on it, no more unsolicited mail - just the renewal notice for the boat.

I follow this course of action with any others companies who send junk mail - seems to work each time.

L.

Tony,

I am sorry but I don't know what you wrote in your letter, but if Saga are continuing to send you marketing mail after you have withdrawn permission for them to do so they are in breach of the DPA and the ICO will sort them out. Copy of letter dates etc to ICO. I have never had such a problem with Saga.

Most Inland water insurance have conditions on cruising Tidal waterway. Mine with Saga just asks that they are informed and they make a decision based on their knowledge of my experience etc. For thinks like the Severn, Portishead to Sharpness they require a pilot, think it is similar for the Wash. Re Verbal they won't do this or that. I suggest you ignore such comments as the refusal could well have been for good reasons related to the specific insured and claims history.

Para. 1 That is if you believe the ICO has any real teeth or, more importantly, any wish to take effective action for the individual. Its easier to take my business elsewhere, especially as they never had permission to send mail for any purpose other than that directly connected with the policy. If the ICO and such like bodies really were protecting the individual we would have far fewer spam emails, junk mail, junk phone calls, inappropriate financial products and so on. I know just how much effort it took to get a ruling form the ASA over a certain product AND even then, a few years later similar claims appeared on Ebay.

Para. 2 Do not try to teach grandma to suck eggs. I know all that but before I buy an insurance I need to know that it is fit for the purposes I may want. How do I find out if a company would consider an endorsement for a fee to allow unless I ask them. To suggest one should ignore what their reply is seems just idiotic to me. Especially as insurance contracts require the up most good faith which translates as "if you do not tell us anything we later decide may be resolvent, even though we never asked about it, we may well void the policy and deny liability. That takes us back to point 1 in that whatever the latest incarnation of the financial ombudsman is seems too keen to side with the insurers. This is across insurance in general rather than just inland marine insurance.

Let the buyer beware!

That has not been my experience. Looking back at previous premiums I have paid they seem quite consistent. The only significant increase was a couple of years ago when I upped the value following a complete repaint and installation of extra equipment. Even then the increase was only about £25 or so.

Ken

Tony,

The way you post is word gave me the impression these were comments made by others not insurance co etc.

Personally I will always require anything from an Insurance co to be in writing.

We used craftinsure for the 51/4 years when we lived aboard and found them very helpful. When we cancelled our insurance a few months after renewal due to selling our boat they refunded us the months that we hadn't used. Not many insurance companies will refund if they can avoid it, but this company volunteered it.