lk oil filter conversion

crossley

Featured Posts

Has anyone got an Lk with a paper type oil filter element fitted?

All the Lk engines I've seen have the washable gauze filter in a domed cast ally cover.

Maybe the later engines had a modified filter housing to bring them in line with later lw,lx&lxb types? I don't know, I've never seen one.

Reason I ask is I have a new paper oil filter, a "purolator micronic"

Type mf268 by me here.

I was given it years ago, because it said it fitted Lk,lw,lx@lxb on the label. Maybe the application hadn't been highlighted,or the others struck out on the label. It won't quite fit in an Lk filter housing anyway.

Anyone know anything about this?

No. Its definately an oil filter.

It's for lw,lx&lxb engines.

Just googled it on their website.

Don't think the Lk ever had such a thing.

The gauze oil filter is adequate enough with low detergent oils, where the sludge gradually accumulates in the "base chamber"sump, but with "hd"

Oils, which carry dirt in suspension, the paper filter cartridges must offer better filtration.

Any opinions on the merits or otherwise of wire gauze/paper oil filters when using HD or low detergent oil?

Probably worth weighing up the facts yourself - low detergent oils (API CD or lower) allow metal particles to drop out of harms way to the bottom of the sump, and so are not carried around the pressure lube system. Most suitable therefore for use on older engines without full flow oil filtration.

Higher detergency oils encapsulate the particles and hold them in suspension to be easily trapped by the full flow filter assuming engine has one.

Probably not a good idea to switch to high detergency without thorougly flushing out all the crud that has accrued in to bottom corners of the engine first.