Stuffed Butternut Squash

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Roast a butternut squash, I did this the night before so it was cold enough to handle. Deseed and then scoop out the flesh into a large bowl. Add to the bowl some grated mature cheddar and reduced fat soft cheese along with some fried chopped onion, mushrooms and chopped smoked bacon. Mix well and spoon into the skins.

Bake in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes.

Served here with garlic bread and salad.

DSC_1288.jpg

Roast a butternut squash, I did this the night before so it was cold enough to handle. Deseed and then scoop out the flesh into a large bowl. Add to the bowl some grated mature cheddar and reduced fat soft cheese along with some fried chopped onion, mushrooms and chopped smoked bacon. Mix well and spoon into the skins.

Bake in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes.

Served here with garlic bread and salad. DSC_1288.jpg

Bread is burnt

• Greenie 1

What is the process for roasting the squash in the first place? (This may seem self evident to anyone who can cook, but I am the girl who had to ask Catrin how she made her fairy cakes...)

1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.

2. Place the squash in a roasting tin, cut-sides up.

3. Drizzle over the olive oil and dot with the butter. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then scatter over the thyme leaves and the whole sprigs of thyme.

4. Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the squash is tender and has turned golden-brown in places.

What is the process for roasting the squash in the first place? (This may seem self evident to anyone who can cook, but I am the girl who had to ask Catrin how she made her fairy cakes...)

I just bunged the whole squash in the oven and roasted it at 200 degrees for about 40 minutes. No prep needed, just stick it on a baking tray. Keep checking it to make sure it is cooking evenly.

For this dish I roasted it the night before then let it cool down and left it in the fridge until we were ready for it. That way it was cool enough to handle.

Do you cook the bacon and mushrooms as well as the onion before putting them in the squash? (I told you I can't cook...)

Yes. I fried the chopped onion, mushrooms and bacon first. Then mixed it in a large bowl with the squash flesh, grated mature cheddar and reduced fat soft cheese.

got an Angela Hartnett beef and butternut squash stew cooling on the hob as we speak - destined for tomorrow nights tea - letting it sit for 24 hours really develops the flavour. Beef is the last of a Lincoln Red box I bought in the summer.

http://www.tauntonlivingmag.co.uk/?p=4775

The book is really worth getting

got an Angela Hartnett beef and butternut squash stew cooling on the hob as we speak - destined for tomorrow nights tea - letting it sit for 24 hours really develops the flavour. Beef is the last of a Lincoln Red box I bought in the summer.

http://www.tauntonlivingmag.co.uk/?p=4775

The book is really worth getting

Now that sounds nice.