The Anchor Inn Needs Your Help

Loafer

Featured Posts

post-19624-0-62745100-1448277163_thumb.jpg

I know that this pub at High Offley, Shropshire Union Canal, isn't everbody's cup of tea on this forum, but Olive, the 82-year old landlady, has asked me to help by posting the following on the forum:

The e-canalmapp App for the Midlands has this pub erroneously listed as 'CLOSED'. Consequently she has seen a big decline in customers this year, including (importantly) campers who used to bring their caravans and tents in the summer.

The Anchor Inn is NOT CLOSED! I told Olive that I'd ask you guys to take note and spread the word, if you know anyone who is remotely interested. Olive is attempting to have the app corrected, but so far after 3 months of reporting the issue, it still lists it as closed.

Winter opening hours are weekends only, Friday and Saturday evenings from 1900-2300 (often later!) plus Saturday and Sunday lunchtimes from 1200-1430 (often later!). Note: Closed on Sunday evenings.

Summer hours increase to weekday opening, both at lunchtime AND evenings.

Please help by passing this info onwards.

Those who complain of the pub hardly ever being open simply don't know her opening hours. They are regular and consistent, as listed above. She HAS been know to close early, but only if there's no customers.

Many thanks

Is there no mechanism for doing an update on erroneous info on e-canalmapp?

I'm not sure - I don't really use the App. However, good point - I'll attempt to find out. Olive has contacted the App owners who said they'd sort it - but have yet to do anything about it.

And what a lovely pub and location that is. Had my 40th there are a couple of years ago and stayed in one of their caravans. As it just so happened we bumped into Mike on Victoria and Brian and Anne-Marie on Alton and had a good chat which made a good night even better.

Darren

Message sent to e-canalmapp

I hope it makes a difference!

I'm not certain, but I think she MAY have said that it's the Apple iOS version of the app which hasn't been corrected. I only learned of this yesterday whilst in the pub myself, so I'll get the app and try and send a correction too.

attachicon.gif20140119-2300-2.JPG

I know that this pub at High Offley, Shropshire Union Canal, isn't everbody's cup of tea on this forum, but Olive, the 82-year old landlady, has asked me to help by posting the following on the forum:

The e-canalmapp App for the Midlands has this pub erroneously listed as 'CLOSED'. Consequently she has seen a big decline in customers this year, including (importantly) campers who used to bring their caravans and tents in the summer.

The Anchor Inn is NOT CLOSED! I told Olive that I'd ask you guys to take note and spread the word, if you know anyone who is remotely interested. Olive is attempting to have the app corrected, but so far after 3 months of reporting the issue, it still lists it as closed.

Winter opening hours are weekends only, Friday and Saturday evenings from 1900-2300 (often later!) plus Saturday and Sunday lunchtimes from 1200-1430 (often later!). Note: Closed on Sunday evenings.

Summer hours increase to weekday opening, both at lunchtime AND evenings.

Please help by passing this info onwards.

Those who complain of the pub hardly ever being open simply don't know her opening hours. They are regular and consistent, as listed above. She HAS been know to close early, but only if there's no customers.

Many thanks

I'll put something on the Facebook groups to which I belong.

It hasn't perhaps come to this point yet, but I see an interesting legal question here.

If someone holds wrong personal information about someone on a computer system, and fails to take reasonable care to keep it accurate, particularly to offer a procedure for getting mistakes corrected, that's an offence under the Data Protection Acts, but I'm not sure to what extent a business can enjoy the same protection. I'm pretty sure the landlady would have a case against the owners of the app under common law because they are publishing something which is harming her business; something like libel or defamation?

Anyway, before starting any legal action she needs to give the wrongdoer every chance to correct the app, and gather evidence that she has attempted this and been refused or ignored, also that it has done real harm to her business. It's a golden rule I follow; never rush off to court without trying to settle the problem by negotiation, judges hate people who do that.

Is there no mechanism for doing an update on erroneous info on e-canalmapp?

I would imagine it's a similar problem with things like the Nicholson Guides.

I suppose that's the advantage to an internet based tool. It's much easier to keep everything updated.

There should be a facility built into the app which lets establishments update their information and maybe let boaty customers review them like Tripadvisor.

It's a lovely pub.

When I think of it I remember sitting in the garden and listening to the silence.

Pity they don't serve something more interesting than 6X.

Must admit I like the Anchor. We always remember going in one night, and a group of people came in, who were something to do with the CAMRA thing. We somehow got involved with the meeting and drank rather a lot of 6X. They were really great people. Oddly I don't remember going back to the boat.

I would imagine it's a similar problem with things like the Nicholson Guides.

I suppose that's the advantage to an internet based tool. It's much easier to keep everything updated.

There should be a facility built into the app which lets establishments update their information and maybe let boaty customers review them like Tripadvisor.

Surely the problem with Nicholson's (and other printed guides) is that they tell you the pub is open , when it closed years ago?

I notice this in particular with my 1980's copies of Nicholson's :)

But as is typical with the 'net, there's no one person responsible.

Just some amorphous, worldwide organisation like Google or Faceache who are probably beyond the Date Protection act anyway.

No, English law applies to anything done in England and Wales. Of course it can be difficult to enforce it against any person or organisation acting from abroad, but in this case there would be sanctions a court could apply, for example if Apple were in contempt of a court order for long enough their whole operation in the UK could be made to suffer. Judges guard the independence of the courts fiercely, and if the UK government can lose some of its cases on a daily basis I'm sure they wont be scared of even the biggest multinational company. But we're running away with ourselves here of course; small cases do sometimes escalate into huge legal issues, but not very often.

It's a lovely pub.

When I think of it I remember sitting in the garden and listening to the silence.

She used to serve Marston's Pedigree too - but her customer base wasn't big enough to support two different beers. She used to have to throw a lot away. She chose to keep the 6X going because it was the more popular of the two.

She also keeps a mean boxed cider, but it looks too much like cloudy wee-wee for me to drink it!

It's a lovely pub.

Wadworths 6X - one of my favourites although not seen so often nowadays.

She used to serve Marston's Pedigree too - but her customer base wasn't big enough to support two different beers. She used to have to throw a lot away. She chose to keep the 6X going because it was the more popular of the two.

She also keeps a mean boxed cider, but it looks too much like cloudy wee-wee for me to drink it!

And when we went there this summer -- for the first time, based on enthusiastic recommendations -- the 6X was not exactly in the best of condition, we (real ale enthusiasts one and all) had a couple and then went back to the boat. Not actually bad enough to reject it, just stale and old-tasting, not at all what I'd expected (yes I know what 6X ought to taste like). It was especially disappointing since we'd planned the route carefully so we could stop there :-(

Maybe it's not always like this, but having an old pub stuck in a time-warp (the pub and atmosphere were lovely!) isn't such a good thing if the quality of the beer also harks back to the 1970s when "real ale" was often badly kept, leading to the dreaded keg revolution. A pub with limited opening hours and relatively small turnover can often have problems keeping the beer good, especially in summer -- though it wasn't that hot when we were there.

Anybody else had the same experience, or was this a one-off? I wouldn't go there again based on our visit, but maybe (hopefully?) we were unlucky...

And when we went there this summer -- for the first time, based on enthusiastic recommendations -- the 6X was not exactly in the best of condition, we (real ale enthusiasts one and all) had a couple and then went back to the boat. Not actually bad enough to reject it, just stale and old-tasting, not at all what I'd expected (yes I know what 6X ought to taste like). It was especially disappointing since we'd planned the route carefully so we could stop there :-(

Maybe it's not always like this, but having an old pub stuck in a time-warp (the pub and atmosphere were lovely!) isn't such a good thing if the quality of the beer also harks back to the 1970s when "real ale" was often badly kept, leading to the dreaded keg revolution. A pub with limited opening hours and relatively small turnover can often have problems keeping the beer good, especially in summer -- though it wasn't that hot when we were there.

Anybody else had the same experience, or was this a one-off? I wouldn't go there again based on our visit, but maybe (hopefully?) we were unlucky...

You were unlucky. It's usually excellent, as it has been all this weekend.

I have had the odd substandard pint though. Not bad enough to return it, but enough to wish it was time for a new barrel!

Here's another photo for interest, taken yesterday (Sunday) in the morning sunlight, as the previous one was!

post-19624-0-28477300-1448284426_thumb.jpg

Lovely pub used to frequent it when we had a norman cruiser moored at Norbury. Landlady used to bring 6X up from the cellar on a tray--lovely pint.

Will mention it to all l know in Newport and Edgmond(mum lives there)

And also the volunteers working on the Newport canal.

Classic pub and location

Simoncheers.gif