Yet more opinions on boat.....

Ex-Member

Featured Posts

Well I have spoken with the broker and suggested what price range I would be looking before I drive 4 hrs to see it!!! at and he has given me a figure from the owners which is a substantial discount so it could make it worthwhile. As to a stove, when we moved up her in the Welsh hills we had a woodburning central heating system. For four years we fed the monster. We purchased some land from the Church next to us and they cut down a dozen or so trees (50 to 60ft pines) and a couple of Oaks which they said we could have.............. we had to cut it and stack it etc and it barely lasted 18mths....so from my own perspective if I never saw another stove I would not be botheredbiggrin.png We changed to oil this year saving 2/3rds of the cost and it is clean & dust free...........sorry I digressed.....wacko.pngwacko.png Any views on Hixon Hulls???

Each to their own, a cassette bog and cruiser back end would have been a no no for us, but a wood burner was non negociable.

Consider the volume of a narrow boat, 57 x 7ish x 6ish cu ft, against the volume of your house, ? cu ft. Much less to heat and the fuel can free, apart from the cost of a bit of work.

But it looks a nice boat, and those Stressless chairs are really comfy!

As to asking price, FWIW we paid a bit less than that for a Barry Hawkins boat, 4 years ago.

Yes, I like it too, (apart from the cruiser stern, cassette bog and lack of a woodburner!)

You are losing a lot of living space with that long front deck

When we've seen 'Goliath' on the BCN Challenge, with the crew out on the longer than average foredeck, we've said "Wouldn't it be nice if ours was longer"

Constructive comments/opinion..........even though you seem to completely discount a stove, if you intend to use it "out of season" I think you will regret it,listen to advice given.A boat without a stove of some kind is heartless, you do not want to realy on diesel central heating,uses power and diesel at a rate which is not easy to sustain(if away from mains and facilities).

Its not for me,but thats not what you are asking,I think the boat looks ok,good size,general condition including paint work seems fine, no issues with hull builder and fit out that i am aware off and layout obviously suits you.If the price is flexable to reduce it (as you seem to imply) then you may have found yourself a boat.Top advice.......is it what you want?

Not now wanting to throw a spanner in the works but did you notice the statement that the traff rail catches on locks!!!

Well I have spoken with the broker and suggested what price range I would be looking before I drive 4 hrs to see it!!! at and he has given me a figure from the owners which is a substantial discount so it could make it worthwhile. As to a stove, when we moved up her in the Welsh hills we had a woodburning central heating system. For four years we fed the monster. We purchased some land from the Church next to us and they cut down a dozen or so trees (50 to 60ft pines) and a couple of Oaks which they said we could have.............. we had to cut it and stack it etc and it barely lasted 18mths....so from my own perspective if I never saw another stove I would not be botheredbiggrin.png We changed to oil this year saving 2/3rds of the cost and it is clean & dust free...........sorry I digressed.....wacko.pngwacko.png Any views on Hixon Hulls???

I take your point - perhaps I should have simply stated 'stove'.

I love my MX40, but once it's done its job of heating the calorifier and cooking the boat (!) it starts to cycle and I get worried about it coking up. Even at 'only' 4Kw it feels too big to maintain the temperature.

If and when we cruise out of season, we find the stove just keeps the boat comfortably topped up and uses little wood.

A better suggestion would be an oil fired stove, no mess, no noise.

You criticise folks for not being constructive - but if you only give a bald statement - without what you want the boat to do -

Liveaboard

Cruising style

Off season use

Pets, kids, visitors

Lifestyle - electric consumption

and on and on

All the above and probably more would help respondents tailor their replies??

Not now wanting to throw a spanner in the works but did you notice the statement that the traff rail catches on locks!!!

Yes, stand at the bow and look along the line of the cabin side towards the stern.

You will probably see several things projecting outside the line of the cabin, all of which have the potential to catch in locks.

Your chosen cruising area may mean that this is never an issue, but the variables of landing heights, bottom gate walkway heights and many other things make this unlikely.

It's not an uncommon building error, my project boat is currently being modified to eliminate the problem. The local hire fleet also has a few boats built this way, the projecting parts are sporting some pretty serious damage.

It's not a huge issue, you might just be happy touching up the paint work?

Steve (Eeyore)

Edited by Eeyore

Well I have spoken with the broker and suggested what price range I would be looking before I drive 4 hrs to see it!!! at and he has given me a figure from the owners which is a substantial discount so it could make it worthwhile. As to a stove, when we moved up her in the Welsh hills we had a woodburning central heating system. For four years we fed the monster. We purchased some land from the Church next to us and they cut down a dozen or so trees (50 to 60ft pines) and a couple of Oaks which they said we could have.............. we had to cut it and stack it etc and it barely lasted 18mths....so from my own perspective if I never saw another stove I would not be bothered:D We changed to oil this year saving 2/3rds of the cost and it is clean & dust free...........sorry I digressed.....wacko.pngwacko.png Any views on Hixon Hulls???

Well you will I suggest if you intend to spend any time in the winter on it. There is only a single (all be it a double) radiator in the lounge area which to me will struggle to keep that area warm in the depths of winter, whereas a stove will not.

Edited by MJG

And if the boat has a properly designed back deck with drain channels it should not need mopping out after rain......

The engine room has to be mopped out if rain water gathers (not a frequent operation)

At least they are being honest, I suppose!

I take your point - perhaps I should have simply stated 'stove'.

I love my MX40, but once it's done its job of heating the calorifier and cooking the boat (!) it starts to cycle and I get worried about it coking up. Even at 'only' 4Kw it feels too big to maintain the temperature.

If and when we cruise out of season, we find the stove just keeps the boat comfortably topped up and uses little wood.

A better suggestion would be an oil fired stove, no mess, no noise.

You criticise folks for not being constructive - but if you only give a bald statement - without what you want the boat to do -

Liveaboard

Cruising style

Off season use

Pets, kids, visitors

Lifestyle - electric consumption

and on and on

All the above and probably more would help respondents tailor their replies??

No I didn't criticise, I was just hoping for more objective comments, I didn't ask if people like it or not. Also when I joined this forum I stated what I was looking for, extensive holidays, just 2 of us, can't see the relevance of pets although we do have a dog......... forums are funny things!!!

At least they are being honest, I suppose!

And to be fair a lot of boats will have this 'feature'. Ours did, I managed to improve it when I replaced the rear engine hatch/cover with a tighter better fitting one but some rain always managed to get in, and if water from leaking lock gates get onto the deck it was pretty much guaranteed to get in the engine tray too.

You are losing a lot of living space with that long front deck and cruiser stern.

That

And though I like the hull and the rest of the accommodation plan it's a bit to pale (wood) for my tastes

I'm not fond of the modern pale style fit-out.

Other than the above I quite like it even without a stove especially for your stated usage

Edited by tidal

And to be fair a lot of boats will have this 'feature'. Ours did, I managed to improve it when I replaced the rear engine hatch/cover with a tighter better fitting one but some rain always managed to get in, and if water from leaking lock gates get onto the deck it was pretty much guaranteed to get in the engine tray

I seem to remember that the drain holes at the front end of the channels were higher than the channel at the back end - meaning the water couldn't drain out anyway.

To me it looks over priced and limited to just the two of you without any option to accommodate friends or visitors even if they are only visiting for a short while. I am surprised how often we have had four or more sat at our table even though generally it is just the two of us staying on board. Often friends will want to come out for a day so having space to sit and eat lunch might be something to consider.

Hi,

Looks a lovely boat to me - diesel heating is excellent - I have it on a 48ft boat, lovely even temperature, (with Ecofan) no dust, no ash just a nice even temperature on a low setting.

Don't worry about price if it's what you want buy it! and enjoy it.

L.

PS.I do have a range in the BC, but it's rarely used, my days of wanting to hump coal and ash about ended when I sold a cottage with a 'Parkray' for heating.

Well to be honest, and whilst I appreciate it is my decision at the end of the day, I was hoping for more constructive advice/comments..........

Perhaps, then, you would like to write everyone's scripts for them. In the meantime, I'll write my own:

The boat is shapely. The longish well deck would be a boon on warm summer days and evenings. The lack of a stove would not be a boon in winter if the diesel heating misbehaved, but perhaps you do not intend to use the boat much in winter so that would not be a problem. It appears to have a quite high spec and, from the photos, seems to have been looked after (or at least thoroughly tidied up for sale).

Hixon Hulls came in for some flak a few years ago, whether for their quality or their accounting methods I can't remember.

At the price which the owners have suggested that they might accept, it is a contender. Personally I would never buy a boat with free-standing seats, as they do not use space efficiently, but that's a personal choice.