An ancient Greek Gurgle bottle

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

A few years ago I posted some pictures of my home made gurgle bottle.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=32708&p=670852

For those who are not Kelvin aficionados this is a container that delivers a measured volume of petrol into the carburetor.

I had to puzzle out how this worked since I'd only seen the outside of one of these.

However, I could have saved myself a lot of effort and experimentation if I'd known that the ancient Greeks thought of it first in the 3rd century BC.

I saw this reconstruction of Philo of Byzantium's wine jug in a museum in Olympia recently. Clever, isn't it?

post-5123-0-44631100-1448029672_thumb.jpg

post-5123-0-28230600-1448029684_thumb.jpg

KK that's fantastic!!

Do you think Walter Bergius knew about this? Perhaps he was proficient in ancient Greek as well!

I shall have to study that right hand photo with the diagram on it very carefully - I still haven't made a proper version of mine yet.

It's such a pity Water-Lily went to the botton of the River Marne complete with her K3 and the box of genuine Gurgle bottle plus petcock squirter that I was able to take a rather poor photo of while the TV prog was being made.

They probably ended up in some French scrapyard with the engine once the wreck had been raised. No one seems to know the full story. (Bargemast of this parish was the one who told me about her sad end).

Richard