Biking and Canals go together but....

Featured Posts

Depends on what bike you have I would say.

agree with that, I ride an orange G4 not to exotic paid a £100 for it off a fat bloke, that had never rid it, last year I rebuilt the rear hub, and must say a hell of a lot more bits than I was expecting, had to refer to a utube vid to rebuild it

If i was a boater, nearly am again, i would worry if i couldnt service or repair a push bike, there will be more worrying things to amend whilst on the the cut.

Some truth in this. If looking after a bike is a challenge, boating is gonna cost you a helluva lot more than it ought!

I have no problems with bikes. Was just wondering how everyone else got on. Seems like your all very able. :)

I think it stems from the fact that lots (most?) boaters are quite practical types who don't mind getting their hands dirty. As alluded to in the thread it pays to be as otherwise it can be a prohibitively expensive hobby/lifestyle as opposed to just an ordinarily expensive one.

Go on then, explain where I am wrong

Richard

Campagnolo

Quality you don't get from shimaNo.

I had a bike with one. It was a bit of a misnomer - you could only ever get three gears out of it, the adjuster just changed which three

Richard

You have gears! I ride single speed in the winter (70"). Used to be fixed (no freewheel) but I now enjoy the luxary of not having to pedal all the time.

Campagnolo

Quality you don't get from shimaNo.

The top-of-the-range Shimano products dislodged their crown a couple of decades ago. Equal performance for half the price.

Even the cheapest and crappiest Shimano stuff still works very well.

Someone who has never rebuilt a Sturmey Archer three speed gear hub, I suspect!

Ok I know one rarely finds them these days, but they used to challenge me when I was 13 and I worked in the bike shop!

. I bought a new bike (new to me) about a year ago, it's a very top end ladies bike called a vilorbis, (spelling ?) cost new was £1200, I was quite surprised to see that it is fitted with sturmey archer gears. We used to normally stick a match stick in the rear hub to hold the chogga chain in second gear when we were kids

. I bought a new bike (new to me) about a year ago, it's a very top end ladies bike called a vilorbis, (spelling ?) cost new was £1200, I was quite surprised to see that it is fitted with sturmey archer gears. We used to normally stick a match stick in the rear hub to hold the chogga chain in second gear when we were kids

There's a lot to be said for hub gears, especially on town bikes. They tend to be very reliable and the chain can be fully enclosed, something you can't achieve with dérailleur gears. 8 or even 12 speeds are not uncommon, a far cry from the old Sturmey Archer 3 speed AW. A 14 speed hub is made by Rohloff, though it does cost nearly £1000!

That takes me back :)

I have to say i had not stripped a push bike down in years maybe 20 years, their are a few pictures of my new bike strip down and repaint with 27 speed shamano and full hydraulic disc brakes on the 'New Boat Bike' thread but it pretty boring. Tbh

Bikes have changed and gears are/seem much harder to get right these days.

I am sure Evans cycles or a local Halfords would help if someone needed a bit of support checking out a bikes safety.

Edited by GreyLady

No, I encountered them once in a while but never a busted one to fix. Quite rare.

Awkward buggers to adjust the gear change levers on though IIRC. Must be 45 years since I last saw one.

Jeez, that's the sort of think my grandad used to say!

Reminds me of a quote.

"We are who our parents warned us about".

• 2 years later...
On 17/11/2015 at 12:52, Sea Dog said:

And if you lived in Birmingham, or Leicester, or whatever, would you still be asking? Even on the inland waterways you'll pass somewhere civilised enough to have a bike shop now and then! ;)

Now, if you're narrowboating up the Amazon, you might be in trouble if you can't fix your own bike. Then again, a bike might not be welcome in the rainforest - but you're also mistaken if you think it'll be universally welcomed on the towpath! :)

I fell out with the local bike guy, he was serving someone, and after 5 mins,  I said, would you service this, please and left. Apparently he did not know what I meant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking: set the gears which were out of sync and set  the brakes replacing the blocks which were worn. There are bits that can be greased with special grease etc.

A rucksack is OK to carry a packed lunch, but essentially all weight should be as low as poss.

46 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I fell out with the local bike guy, he was serving someone, and after 5 mins,  I said, would you service this, please and left. Apparently he did not know what I meant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you wonder if he actually meant "good heavens, what a rude and impatient lady, I wonder if she will be back to explain just what she wants, maybe I will just wait and see"