How much are they worth, what do they cost ?

paddles up

Featured Posts

I have an opportunity to buy a boat which currently houses a K2 which I know nothing about. Purportedly a good runner but I've yet to see it actually do anything and with what look like HT leads on it I'm unsure how to coax it into life.

My question is simple, how much would it reasonably be worth as a going concern...roughly ?..so I can start thinking about what to replace it with ?

One for sale on Apollo Duck for 4K, supposed to be in "good working order".

You only start on petrol when its cold:

If I had one in a boat I'd keep it; incredible engines with more torque than you can shake a stick at.

Edited by Tiggs

One for sale on Apollo Duck for 4K, supposed to be in "good working order".

You only start on petrol when its cold:

If I had one in a boat I'd keep it; incredible engines with more torque than you can shake a stick at.

There's something fishy about that advert. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=45280&p=1681936

I'm not sure how much a fully restored K2 would cost because they only come onto the market very rarely.

The one featured in the Youtube video was £7K in 1998.

I have an opportunity to buy a boat which currently houses a K2 which I know nothing about. Purportedly a good runner but I've yet to see it actually do anything and with what look like HT leads on it I'm unsure how to coax it into life.

My question is simple, how much would it reasonably be worth as a going concern...roughly ?..so I can start thinking about what to replace it with ?

I'll swap it for my immaculate Lister HRW2 if you buy the boat, if you're interrested. A decent, proper engine.

You don't want one of them Kelvins. Oh no, definitely not...

ninja.gif

The Kelvin J and K share a number of peculiarities which should make you think carefully about planning to change one:

Their engine beds run across the boat. Most (all?) other engines have fore and aft beds so you need to allow for replacing the engine bearers or at least serious modification.

Their gearbox depends on direct thrust from the propeller to stay in gear. Allow to replace the prop shaft and fit a thrust bearing.

the Kelvin gearbox is wheel operated. Most gearboxes ( except the Brunton on Nationals and the Glennifer) have a push-pull change. Allow for serious re-work of the gear controls.

You will need to dismantle either the engine or the boat to get it out and the crankcase is a big lump, even without the crank, cylinders etc. Removing a K is not for the faint hearted!

Anyway the K2 is a good engine, looks wonderful, will start easily once you know the routine and, if looked after, are wholly reliable. They also sound wonderful. If you like the boat, keep the engine!

N