Waterways 35mm slides

Alenafour

Featured Posts

There's a geezer selling 35mm slides on eBay, labelled "Original 35mm British Waterways Kennet and Avon Canal Narrow boat slide 1960's". I'm don't think they are the Kennet and Avon and would guess Grand Union.

Nice images though.

Over to the team......

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=davephotopics&_armrs=1&_osacat=14281&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Original+35mm+British+Waterways+Kennet+and+Avon+Canal+Narrow+boat+slide+1960%27s&_sacat=14281

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

At least 4 he has available relate to boats at Cow Roast Lock, Grand Union.

Whilst it is tempting to think they relate to a stoppage, I also understand it was a holding point for loaded Southbound boats to the Dickinson's mills, to avoid a build up of boats at these, until they could be unloaded. I suppose there may be nothing more than that going on, although the fact they are blocking the canal to other traffic perhaps makes the stoppage explanation more likely?

Actually reminicent of a CRT mooring I have just given up (:lol:)

Some interesting boats there.....

Butty Dodona is now two motorised boats. The original front end a nice tug, the original back end (reused as a front) a liv aboard boat.

Butty Coronis' front end also is now converted to a motor boat, with a cabin conversion. From memory the butty back end of Coronis is now an exhibit in the London canal museum. (Think I have the right one?).

It would be wonderful if any pictures like this showed "Letchworth", (what "Flamingo" was pre 1961). I don't think any of this batch do.

Actually reminicent of a CRT mooring I have just given up (laugh.png)

Some interesting boats there.....

Butty Dodona is now two motorised boats. The original front end a nice tug, the original back end (reused as a front) a liv aboard boat.

Butty Coronis' front end also is now converted to a motor boat, with a cabin conversion. From memory the butty back end of Coronis is now an exhibit in the London canal museum. (Think I have the right one?).

It would be wonderful if any pictures like this showed "Letchworth", (what "Flamingo" was pre 1961). I don't think any of this batch do.

Do you think the others are on the Seven or Trent?

http://tinyurl.com/pxomsrb

South West waterway?

As Alan says, the first three are; Cow Roast; Linslade'; Cow Roast, the fourth should be recognised by someone with the rising ground and farm buildings beyond. Ruperbear's could well be Bath or thereabouts. One of his others shows a double railway bridge, docks and shipping. Distinctive, but don't know it.

Is anybody on her prepared to admit to actively bidding on the slides that show the boats held at Cow Roast?

If so perhaps they can PM me, so we are not unnecessarily entering a bidding war.

In practice there is only one I actually particularly want, though some of the others would be nice.

If it is anyone here perhaps we can reach an agreement?

Thanks.

Is anybody on her prepared to admit to actively bidding on the slides that show the boats held at Cow Roast?

If so perhaps they can PM me, so we are not unnecessarily entering a bidding war.

In practice there is only one I actually particularly want, though some of the others would be nice.

If it is anyone here perhaps we can reach an agreement?

Thanks.

not me

There's a geezer selling 35mm slides on eBay,

$_57.JPG

I love this one with the rain shed - it's a bit primitive compared with those we had, but they are very seldom photoraphed. Photographers didn't seem to be around as much when it rained.

TAM

Good god did you see how much all those slides went for!! I've got the lot for nothing just copyed them to the iPad.

Darren

Good grief! Yes!

I have just watched the 4 slides that related to BW working boats at Cow Roast go through the final stages of their various auctions, and tried to bid on three of them.

All four eventually went to the same bidder at these various amounts....

£16.50

£22.00

£8.50

£28.80

So over £75 for four not particularly well composed slides, and where I'm not sure on some that many of the boats could be identified.

I badly wanted one of them because it might have been "Letchworth" (aka "Flamingo") but it was not to be.

I can only hope they may have been bought for publication, and may eventually appear high quality in something like Narrow Boat magazine.

I'm genuinely surprised that is the kind of prices they can reach!

Good grief! Yes!

I have just watched the 4 slides that related to BW working boats at Cow Roast go through the final stages of their various auctions, and tried to bid on three of them.

All four eventually went to the same bidder at these various amounts....

£16.50

£22.00

£8.50

£28.80

So over £75 for four not particularly well composed slides, and where I'm not sure on some that many of the boats could be identified.

I badly wanted one of them because it might have been "Letchworth" (aka "Flamingo") but it was not to be.

I can only hope they may have been bought for publication, and may eventually appear high quality in something like Narrow Boat magazine.

I'm genuinely surprised that is the kind of prices they can reach!

I wonder if he knew it wasnt the K&A

I wonder if he knew it wasnt the K&A

I'm sure each of the 3 or 4 people involved in the bidding for these 4 slides knew exactly what they were!

1950-something images at Cow Roast, Grand Union

To me the interesting thing is that I don't think buying the original slides actually gives you the copyright to them. So strictly I'm not sure they can be published, (though I doubt anyone will object!)

The seller put moderately high res images in the postings, and did not watermark them, so I'm sure several people will already have their own private copies.

Buying the slides seems to me to have given the purchaser nothing more than the opportunity to scan in a higher resolution, but they still don't own the copyright, I think - or am I missing something here?

Buying the slides seems to me to have given the purchaser nothing more than the opportunity to scan in a higher resolution, but they still don't own the copyright, I think - or am I missing something here?

I think you are right, that belongs to the photographer unless he has disposed of it.

I'm sure each of the 3 or 4 people involved in the bidding for these 4 slides knew exactly what they were!

1950-something images at Cow Roast, Grand Union

To me the interesting thing is that I don't think buying the original slides actually gives you the copyright to them. So strictly I'm not sure they can be published, (though I doubt anyone will object!)

The seller put moderately high res images in the postings, and did not watermark them, so I'm sure several people will already have their own private copies.

Owning the original slide is just like owning the negative, whilst the owner did not take the picture all rights are with him, he can do what he wants with them. Of course many of us copied the hi res images for archival purposes but that always happens when the seller uses that medium.

I was surprised at the £28 one, I have paid well for photos in the past but that was not that special to my eyes.

Even with a really good scanner you wont get that much out of those pictures, slides particularly Kodak don't sometimes scan too well.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Owning the original slide is just like owning the negative, whilst the owner did not take the picture all rights are with him, he can do what he wants with them. Of course many of us copied the hi res images for archival purposes but that always happens when the seller uses that medium.

I'm afraid that this isn't correct, Laurence.

Unless the vendor has specifically included the copyright with sale of the slides, according to the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 the copyright remains with the original photographer (and whoever inherits the photos) for 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the photographer of the work dies. If the photographer is unknown, the copyright term of 70 years runs from the end of the calendar year in which the work was created, although if it is "published or exhibited" during that time then the duration is extended to 70 years from the end of the year of publication.

If anyone purchases negatives /slides from others intending to publish them in future, I would recommend that you obtain a letter from the vendor saying that copyright is included in the purchase.

Edited by John Brightley

I'm afraid that this isn't correct, Laurence.

Unless the vendor has specifically included the copyright with sale of the slides, according to the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 the copyright remains with the original photographer (and whoever inherits the photos) for 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the photographer of the work dies. If the photographer is unknown, the copyright term of 70 years runs from the end of the calendar year in which the work was created, although if it is "published or exhibited" during that time then the duration is extended to 70 years from the end of the year of publication.

If anyone purchases negatives /slides from others intending to publish them in future, I would recommend that you obtain a letter from the vendor saying that copyright is included in the purchase.

John try living in the real world. Images get stolen and reused everyday and how on earth are you going to date accurately images shot in the late 1950's or early 60's when the person who took them is dead or worse unknown. We have purchased many collections over the years without a clue as to who took the images and when accurately, like many others in our game it is better that the information is shared and not hidden in some private archive.

In collections we have access to many pictures we knopw were not taken by the person that owned them, but they hold valuable information within the content.

Many of the pictures here on CWDF have come from these sources would you prefer we didn't put them up?

Edited by Laurence Hogg