Waterways 35mm slides

Alenafour

Featured Posts

John is living in the "real world", one in which the law is being circumvented frequently by many and sundry with regard to sharing historic images and text. When there is clearly no real harm in this as it widens the knowledge base of history for the benefit of all, it nonetheless may breach copyright laws, in which I am probably as guilty as anyone. The only harm that may have been done is possibly affecting an individual who wishes to claim copyright over something that they have neither produced as original material, nor been able to obtain a 'right' to use and distribute, and from which they are claiming income of a kind.

It's a tough old real world.

Edited by Derek R.

I wonder if he knew it wasnt the K&A

Yep "cos" I contacted him & advised him they were of the GU He replied that as1 slide was obviously K&A he thought they were all of the same canal, he has more according to his reply so they possibly will be listed with correct canal

I'm afraid that this isn't correct, Laurence.

Unless the vendor has specifically included the copyright with sale of the slides, according to the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 the copyright remains with the original photographer (and whoever inherits the photos) for 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the photographer of the work dies. If the photographer is unknown, the copyright term of 70 years runs from the end of the calendar year in which the work was created, although if it is "published or exhibited" during that time then the duration is extended to 70 years from the end of the year of publication.

If anyone purchases negatives /slides from others intending to publish them in future, I would recommend that you obtain a letter from the vendor saying that copyright is included in the purchase.

Yes, I agree - I looked into this, and I think the above is quite correct.

Equally everything that Laurence has said about trying to find out who actually holds the copyright is correct, other than trying to date these slides to an exact year isn't relevant yet, as they would have to have been taken in 1945 or earlier to be 70 years old, which clearly they are not.

I think it is highly likely the vendor may be breaking copyright just to put the image in the listing, because it was fairly obvious from the listing that they do not hold it, (although that was not, I think, not explicitly stated).

Personally had I been successful in buying the one I particular wanted I would have still put it in the public domain with a statement that explained the situation. I'm not sure that it makes any difference whether I have legitimately purchased the actual media or not - I suspect it does so only "morally" not "legally", or am I wrong?

Yep "cos" I contacted him & advised him they were of the GU He replied that as1 slide was obviously K&A he thought they were all of the same canal, he has more according to his reply so they possibly will be listed with correct canal

I was actually referring to the buyer, I did consider contacting the seller but thought if listed correctly they could attract more bids and push the price up and I knew that some members on here were interested in them.

Be a lot of people waiting to copy the images when they are put up for sale.

More slides have been added today and they include a few interesting shots, one of Charlie Atkins on Mendip passing the Smethwick coal chutes on the BCN new main line.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xkennet+avon+grand+union.TRS0&_nkw=kennet+avon+grand+union&_sacat=0

The worn out "Harvey Taylor" boat looks sad but note the bridge has camouflage on it. And where is the wide flat with the drums?? St Helens?

Just to be clear....from the government's Intellectual Property Office.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/305165/c-notice-201401.pdf

Essentially copyright remains with the original photographer and/or (if he/she was paid for doing their job) with the company who employed/paid them. Copyright can be transferred, or someone can be given a licence to use the photos.

If you don't know who the photographer was (or can't be bothered to find out) then using the photographs is still a breach of copyright. These works are known as orphan works, and cannot be copied.

Of course, the t'internet and social media (like CWDF) are creating havoc with the law.

More slides have been added today and they include a few interesting shots, one of Charlie Atkins on Mendip passing the Smethwick coal chutes on the BCN new main line.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xkennet+avon+grand+union.TRS0&_nkw=kennet+avon+grand+union&_sacat=0

The worn out "Harvey Taylor" boat looks sad but note the bridge has camouflage on it. And where is the wide flat with the drums?? St Helens?

Some think that the boat passing the Sandwell park colliery chute (back to front) could be the "Dragon". Also the "Fulbourne" at Gas St, back to front! Is the boat at Newbury the "Iris"?

And where is the wide flat with the drums?? St Helens?

Pretty certain it's not the St Helens, but it could be the Weaver or the Avon at Bath, given that some photos are K&AC. The other one difficult to identify is the dredger. Is it the A&CN, though I don't immediately recognise the location.

I think be barge with the barrels is one of the tar barges operated by Bristol and West Tar Distillery Co in and around Bristol and Gloucester which included the Jolly and the Darby. So this one is almost Kennet and Avon!

Paul

How come Google publish hundreds of images. Some are mine and probably a lot of forum members. Have we in some small print somewhere allowed them to display them . T o be clear I'm talking the images within the Google search function where you select images after your search. I must admit to using them and have no problem anyone using mine.

Probably cost a fortune to pursue copyright actions and what would you get in way of compensation. Just let folk use them and feel honoured they like the picture enough to use perhaps in an article.

How come Google publish hundreds of images. Some are mine and probably a lot of forum members. Have we in some small print somewhere allowed them to display them . T o be clear I'm talking the images within the Google search function where you select images after your search. I must admit to using them and have no problem anyone using mine.

Probably cost a fortune to pursue copyright actions and what would you get in way of compensation. Just let folk use them and feel honoured they like the picture enough to use perhaps in an article.

Isn't Google just a way of being directed to another site where, presumably permission HAS been given or the image wouldn't be there?

George ex nb Alton retired

Another nice bunch of slides on there.

Darren

And ultimately the same bidder prepared to go as high as it takes to secure them.

I put speculative bids between £3 and £4 on about 4 in them to see what happened, but was outbid on all, but my efforts wew puny compared to others going to £12 or more for a single not particularly brilliant slide from the same set.

Someone out there is happy to go well into 2 figures, and probably a lot more than that to get each and every one of these.

Out of my league!

The latest batch has about half an hour to run, with bids for individual slides already at £27, £32, or in the most extreme case £40!

Who pays these prices?

Collectors who still use slide projectors. There's lots of resolution and 'proper-looking' light in a slide, projected onto a large screen, which you lose when scanning.

Well, that's what I reckon anyway!

More been just listed, which FMC motor is featured?

The latest batch has about half an hour to run, with bids for individual slides already at £27, £32, or in the most extreme case £40!

Who pays these prices?

People like me Alan, but not for these, they aren't good enough!

People like me Alan, but not for these, they aren't good enough!

Well.I love the Cow Roast ones because that is where out very first canal boat was based.

I wonder what the story is? Enough boats I think that it is a proper stoppage, rather than just holding them until there is capacity at the mills to unload them.

But even if one of my boats featured, (I now don't think they do), I don't think I'd pay £30 or £40.

I did have a fairly large speculative bid on the one that could only have been Chertsey (not ours) or Letchworth (ours), but releases in later weeks show it to be Chertsey, so I'm glad I was outbid!

Who pays these prices?

You have the same approach to eBay auctions as I do: Leave the silly bids to the silly people. Sometimes I win, sometimes I don't, but when I do I have the satisfaction of knowing that I got the item I wanted (mostly old records in my case) at a price which is good value. When I don't, I think "Was that one worth that much to me?" and the answer is generally "no".

I am sure Ive seen this image before but from the other side of the canal.... any idea where it is? With a location I might be able to find the other photo, its bugging me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Waterways-Kennet-Avon-Grand-Union-Canal-Narrow-boat-35mm-slide-1960s-/191744643953?hash=item2ca4df1371:g:WFIAAOSwxN5WUwf3