New Owner - RN DM2

Saint Paul

Featured Posts

I am a new owner of a DM2, 1987 vintage I believe judging by reaearch on the serial number.

I have a few simple questions that I would be most grateful if anyone could help with:

1. Oil Pressure - what psi would you expect under normal cruising conditions and/or when warm on idle.
  2. What normal running temperature (water) would you expect.
  3. What type of antifreeze should I use "OAT" or non "OAT".
  4. The casing which joins the engine to the gearbox with a large access cutout in the side (bell housing?) - I have oil about 1/2 inch deep in the bottom. Is this normal or should it be completely dry?

Any help greatly appreciated.

George

Others will be along to inform you. I'll just say welcome to CWF and congratulations on your purchase of a lovely engine (surrounded by a boat). Looking at your boat's name, I bet she sounds sweet.

• Greenie 1

Others will be along to inform you. I'll just say welcome to CWF and congratulations on your purchase of a lovely engine (surrounded by a boat). Looking at your boat's name, I bet she sounds sweet.

Thanks for the welcome. "Sweet" indeed! Lets hope the RN is SOUND and sweet!

Thanks for the welcome. "Sweet" indeed! Lets hope the RN is SOUND and sweet!

Come to think of it at least one member of The Sweet ('70s pop stars, for younger readers) lives by the K&A Canal. I don't suppose you're him?

I am a new owner of a DM2, 1987 vintage I believe judging by reaearch on the serial number.

I have a few simple questions that I would be most grateful if anyone could help with:

1. Oil Pressure - what psi would you expect under normal cruising conditions and/or when warm on idle.
  2. What normal running temperature (water) would you expect.
  3. What type of antifreeze should I use "OAT" or non "OAT".
  4. The casing which joins the engine to the gearbox with a large access cutout in the side (bell housing?) - I have oil about 1/2 inch deep in the bottom. Is this normal or should it be completely dry?

Any help greatly appreciated.

George

The only manual I can find relates to the DX1 engine (same bore/stroke and general configuration). Oil pressure on that should be 30/40 psi when hot, adjustable via pressure relief valve screw located on front cover under crankshaft.

Water outlet temperature for max efficiency 80 degC.

If oil in drive housing is same as engine oil, probably rear crankshaft oil seal weeping.

Contact Russell Newbery

Edited by by'eck
  • Greenie 1

Hi, my DM2 is a 2012 build, in answer to your questions I can only tell you what mine is like:-

1.....oil pressure is 40 when cold, 30 - 35 when hot

2....60° thermostat fitted and under heavy use it has risen to 65°

3....I used normal ethylene glycol which has proved ok

4...my driveplate casing is completly dry, but probably because its only 3yr old

• Greenie 1

The only manual I can find relates to the DX1 engine (same bore/stroke and general configuration). Oil pressure on that should be 30/40 psi when hot, adjustable via pressure relief valve screw located on front cover under crankshaft.

Water outlet temperature for max efficiency 80 degC.

If oil in drive housing is same as engine oil, probably rear crankshaft oil seal weeping.

Contact Russell Newbery

That is very helpful. Thank you.

I suspected the oil in the drive housing would be some sort of seal leak. It sounds an expensive "fix". Engine not using/loosing oil at moment - dip stick level not dropping after 8 hour cruise and maintaining 32 psi pressure. So maybe it is a gradual build up of oil in drive housing. I will empty, clean and see if anymore oil accumulates. Water is operating at 80 degs.

Regards,

George

That is very helpful. Thank you.

I suspected the oil in the drive housing would be some sort of seal leak. It sounds an expensive "fix". Engine not using/loosing oil at moment - dip stick level not dropping after 8 hour cruise and maintaining 32 psi pressure. So maybe it is a gradual build up of oil in drive housing. I will empty, clean and see if anymore oil accumulates. Water is operating at 80 degs.

Regards,

George

Sounds like a good plan.

Edited by by'eck

Hi, my DM2 is a 2012 build, in answer to your questions I can only tell you what mine is like:-

1.....oil pressure is 40 when cold, 30 - 35 when hot

2....60° thermostat fitted and under heavy use it has risen to 65°

3....I used normal ethylene glycol which has proved ok

4...my driveplate casing is completly dry, but probably because its only 3yr old

Many Thanks. I must check water temp/level again I thought it was 80 degs but hard to see. Oil seems OK then and will clean/check driveplate. Hope its OK and does not an arm and a leg to fix it oil leak persists.

Regards

George

to echo Linnit's answer ours is a 1987 build and runs at about the same oil pressure.

Thermostat is set at 60 C and doesn't seem to go over that.

I have not noticed any oil in the drive plate casing and would imagine that is a seal leaking.

I use normal Halfords antifreeze. The pink stuff.

Many Thanks. Will proceed as my previouis post re drive plate casing. Is it true that the water cooling system can hold up to 100 ltrs? That would make the most expensive antifreeze change I have ever had to do!!

Regards,

George