Not another bash a Fisherman thread ......

Featured Posts

Although I don't understand hunting/torturing a live animal you're not going to eat, it's impossible when boating to ignore the development of the sport (sport?)

During the 48 years I've struggled along our waterways I've seen fishing expand to include....

Carbon Poles

Electronic line monitors

Powerful catapults to chuck maggots a fair distance

Radio Controlled boats that poddle out to accurately seed a swim with ground bait

Fantastic thinking going on there and presenting the opportunity for physical exercise humping that load up a muddy towpath.

Here's my question .......

Whilst up The Ashby a few weeks back I saw a lone fisherman sitting about 60' short of a bridge. About 50' away from him and almost in the bridgehole he had a canvas bag sitting on the towpath. It had a pair of hefty looking wires trailing from it which draped over the bank edge and into the cut.

What's that all about? I thought at first it might generate a sound to discourage fish from leaving his area and the narrows of the bridge amplified that, but on reflection it seemed to be ever so slightly dodgy.

Any answers?

I reckon there's a waterproof loud speaker down in the depths at the end of the wires, placed there to entertain and lull the fish into a false sense of security. He probably plays the little beggers tunes like, say, ''Please release me'' or ''Dr Hook'', theme from 'A fish called Wanda', 'Another one bites the dust' and ''Every breath you take'' and while they're busy swooning to the tunes and bopping to the beat he bags em smartish.

Reminiscent of that TV advert in which an angler plays Des O'Connor through an underwater speaker and all the fish leap on to the bank to escape. Can't recall the product (I rarely do).

Hi,

Russ Abbott and one of the greatly missed Hamlet cigar adverts?.

Quite possibly, yes. I am notorious for remembering music played in adverts but failing to associate it with the featured product. For example, I could tell you that three different Etta James records - At Last, I Just Want To Make Love To You and Good Rockin' Daddy - have provided soundtracks for TV adverts over the last couple of years, but I've no idea what they were advertising. It may have been motor cars, soft drinks or possibly mousetraps. I am not an adman's ideal target.

Quite possibly, yes. I am notorious for remembering music played in adverts but failing to associate it with the featured product. For example, I could tell you that three different Etta James records - At Last, I Just Want To Make Love To You and Good Rockin' Daddy - have provided soundtracks for TV adverts over the last couple of years, but I've no idea what they were advertising. It may have been motor cars, soft drinks or possibly mousetraps. I am not an adman's ideal target.

I'm the other way and I have to say it hacks me off! I don't see too many ads and I try very hard not to allow some "advertising executive" to foist a vision of some product upon me against my will. Sadly, I have failed miserably ever since "Everyone's a fruit and nutcase" was penned over the nutcracker suite to sell Cadbury's Fruit and Nut. I'm now desperately trying to disallow a cat and a budgie's romance weedling it's way into my brain over "You're all I need to get by". I think I've failed! Nooo! :(

I'm now desperately trying to disallow a cat and a budgie's romance weedling it's way into my brain over "You're all I need to get by". I think I've failed! Nooo! sad.png

But can you remember what the loved-up Tweetie Pie and Sylvester are trying to flog you? I can't.

Anything which lets us hear a bit of Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell on t'telly has to be welcome!

But can you remember what the loved-up Tweetie Pie and Sylvester are trying to flog you? I can't.

Anything which lets us hear a bit of Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell on t'telly has to be welcome!

No! Dont ask me that - I'll start trying to remember and I really don't want to!!

Agree with part 2 though ;)

Freeview TV

Oh no!That's just vindictive! wink.png

Mind you, the product is more easily forgotten than " Everyone's a fruit and nutcase"!smile.png

I remember that advert for Frank Muir singing it...One of our most classy comedians

So the answer to my original question about what the fisherman up the Ashby was doing trying to disassociate himself from some sort of dodgy electric gizmo; is ............

frank-muir.jpg

Thanks everyone, you sure pulled out the stops for me there ... and no mistake!

• Greenie 1

So the answer to my original question about what the fisherman up the Ashby was doing trying to disassociate himself from some sort of dodgy electric gizmo; is .......

Even for canal world this went seriously off tangent..never mind..I gave it some thought

Although I don't understand hunting/torturing a live animal you're not going to eat, it's impossible when boating to ignore the development of the sport (sport?)

During the 48 years I've struggled along our waterways I've seen fishing expand to include....

Carbon Poles

Electronic line monitors

Powerful catapults to chuck maggots a fair distance

Radio Controlled boats that poddle out to accurately seed a swim with ground bait

Fantastic thinking going on there and presenting the opportunity for physical exercise humping that load up a muddy towpath.

Here's my question .......

Whilst up The Ashby a few weeks back I saw a lone fisherman sitting about 60' short of a bridge. About 50' away from him and almost in the bridgehole he had a canvas bag sitting on the towpath. It had a pair of hefty looking wires trailing from it which draped over the bank edge and into the cut.

What's that all about? I thought at first it might generate a sound to discourage fish from leaving his area and the narrows of the bridge amplified that, but on reflection it seemed to be ever so slightly dodgy.

Any answers?

I don't know, but your assertion that angling is 'torture' goes a long way towards explaining the real motive behind your question.

So the answer to my original question about what the fisherman up the Ashby was doing trying to disassociate himself from some sort of dodgy electric gizmo; is ............

frank-muir.jpg

At a guess, surreptitious use of electrofishing equipment which stuns the fish, or disrupts their lateral line sensory organ or some such and they can just be scooped out with a net .... http://www.electrofishing-machine.com/productinfo/detail_22_39_97.aspx ... But to be honest I think Frank Muir is the better answer :)

LCx

The electronic lateral sensory stunning gizmo would seem to meet the Identi-Kit picture ... yet: -

* Unless you're stocking your larder, where's the sport in that?

* It'd only work for a competition, yet he was on his own and if you were in a competition surely everybody would benefit from your shenanigans, as well as see what you were up to?

* So as he was on his own and had a rod, no sign of even a landing net, perhaps he was trying it out in the middle of nowhere prior to launching his evil upon the competition.

Looking at the above summary I have to conclude Frank Muir indeed!