Tug on the Trent

twosox

Featured Posts

I hope this question is in the right section, if not could a mod move it please.

We hope to buy another boat soon, sold our last one five years ago, and do fancy a tug style boat.

We would like to moor at West Stockwith basin so will have to travel the river Trent to get onto the main system.

Would members consider it wise to go on the Trent in a tug?

Thank you

twosox

Edited by twosox

The only "problem" with the Trent is "it is a River" - you will never know if you can get back 'home' or will be stuck behind closed flood-gates. If you are out & about in the Winter (Particularly) then ensure you do not have to be anywhere at a certain time, or, make sure that you can get a bus / train / taxi back home and that you have somewhere to leave the boat.

It is not insurmountable, but if you plan Autumn / Winter / Spring cruising you should be aware it WILL happen at some point.

You will not want to be on the Trent in a NB when it is in flood. (either the tidal or non-tidal bits)

We have had a NB on the Trent for 5 years and have spent several weeks (in that time) on the wrong side of where we want to be. Last time was 2 weeks without moving when Cranfleet was shut.

Make sure :

You have VHF and get updates from the Lockies.

Fuel Tank is full

Water tank is full

Toilet is empty (with spare cassettes and trolley)

Food and dry milk in stock.

Enough clothes.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Thanks for the replies.

My worry is that many tug style narrowboats have a very low bow and gunwales which could allow water in.

Last time we went down the trent on a norrowboat there were quite a few waves caused by passing barges. Although I know there is not much commercial traffic left, that is my worry.

Keep front doors shut I suppose.

twosocks

My worry is that many tug style narrowboats have a very low bow and gunwales which could allow water in.

Think that through. Which is lower, a raised tug deck or a conventional well deck?

One word in the above sentence is a clue.

Think that through. Which is lower, a raised tug deck or a conventional well deck?

One word in the above sentence is a clue.

Yes, but the front door cilll height on a tug deck can be much lower,than with a well deck, or even non existent as a few even have a lift up hatch in the deck to expose the steps down. Still if you do take a wave its going to drain off a tug deck much much quicker than out of a well deck.

Saw a tug style boar recently (might have been a Hudson) with a raised storage box neatly constructed at the front of the tug deck. That would be a neat way of deflecting the waves, but does detract from the style of a tug a little.

.............Dave

Yes, but the front door cilll height on a tug deck can be much lower,than with a well deck, or even non existent as a few even have a lift up hatch in the deck to expose the steps down.

But it usually isn't - that's why many tugs have a hatch above the front doors, so that you don't have to bend double to get inside.

We have a tug with very low gunwales and we've done the tidal Trent & Thames, The Wash and the Severn estuary to Bristol all without trouble. It handles this sort of water better than most conventional nbs.

This is about the worst you will encounter above Keadby.

The conditions in that video clip may well be the worst seen at any time in your limited experience of the Trent, but things can get far worse than that, as far up as Stockwith, when a strong Northerly wind blows against a big Spring ebb for several hours.

The significant wave height can be up to three to four times that seen in the video clip, accompanied by a wave length and period such as would be quite likely to induce synchronous pitching in some shorter boats.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Yes they can and we have witnessed that on our way home from Hull. However a narrowboat is highly unlikely to be on the river in those conditions.

Eta: link to the description of significant wave height. Often confuses folk.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_wave_height

Edited by Naughty Cal

I don't think it's the "Tug" bit it's the properly prepared and equipped bit that matters! The equipment for a tidal river is important -others will list it, but proper knowledge and equipment will make the journey fine -or tell you to stay home. Yes I remember Holme (little) lock being tied up once, that was keep clear of the water weather, anything that was moving wasn't under control.

Having re read all the replies thank you, and looked at the scary pictures, we will look for a tug and prepare well. I must admit to being a bit of a fair weather boater.

Thank's everybody for your time and thoughts, much appreciated.

twosox

Edited by twosox

We have a tug deck and are on the Chesterfield as are several others. As has been said, go well prepared, tugs are much easier to use in the tidal locks as you have better access to the sliders on the lock sides. In any narrowboat you have to take stock of the weather and you have said you are a fair weather boater. No one type of narrowboat is any better than any other, so go for what you fancy and we shall look for a new tug boat at stockwith soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Thanks for the replies.

Last time we went down the trent on a norrowboat there were quite a few waves caused by passing barges. Although I know there is not much commercial traffic left, that is my worry.

Keep front doors shut I suppose.

twosocks

We have a tug with low bow and gunwales. We've been down the Trent, up the tidal Thames, down the Severn estuary to Bristol and across The Wash.

Does that answer your question :)