New Boat Bike.

Featured Posts

Ive just bought a new Mountain Bike for the boat were buying after christmas, the only thing is it looks too new and I think that might make it more attractive to thieving gits.

Anybody got any tips on security and how to keep a bike on a boat without it getting nicked ?

I was thinking about stripping it down and Spraying it Matt Black to make it less new.

post-24819-0-91957500-1444914023_thumb.jpg

Edited by GreyLady

I was thinking about stripping it down and Spraying it Matt Black to make it less new.

Stripping it down and Spraying it Matt Black to make it less new is probably what who ever nicks it will do!

Try tying it to an angry looking dog........

Joking aside keep it looking like it is so you may? recognise it if you happen across it after it has been stolen (that's assuming they haven't stripped it down and sprayed it matt black) buy the best lock and chain that you can and USE IT!!!!

You could of course try other security products like Smartwater http://www.smartwater.com/ or Microdot https://www.insight-security.com/property-marking-microdot

There is no guarantee that anything will stop it from being stolen if someone wants it badly enough, the best bet is to make it slightly harder to nick than any bikes nearby.

Stripping it down and Spraying it Matt Black to make it less new is probably what who ever nicks it will do!

Try tying it to an angry looking dog........

Joking aside keep it looking like it is so you may? recognise it if you happen across it after it has been stolen (that's assuming they haven't stripped it down and sprayed it matt black) buy the best lock and chain that you can and USE IT!!!!

Thanks yer I will get 2 decent bike locks for the Boat, ive had 2 bikes nicked before and its sickening.

It would look like a skanks bike matt black, thats not what I want.

Maybe I should of bought a scruffy second hand bike thinking about it.

A decent lock and reinforced cable that you run through both wheels as well as the frame.

Good bike security is all about layers of security. 2 types of lock at least.

Get a decent bike cover to make it less obvious - you'll need one anyway - bikes don't last very long out in the wet.

A bike alarm of some sort.

Sell the bike and buy an old Raleigh ladies 3 speed.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

You could of course try other security products like Smartwater http://www.smartwater.com/ or Microdot https://www.insight-security.com/property-marking-microdot

There is no guarantee that anything will stop it from being stolen if someone wants it badly enough, the best bet is to make it slightly harder to nick than any bikes nearby.

Hey ive just looked at that link, it looks good, I will have a good think about that thanks.

I will get two of these locks before I put it on the boat, that should slow them down hopfully.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bike+locks

A decent lock and reinforced cable that you run through both wheels as well as the frame.

Good bike security is all about layers of security. 2 types of lock at least.

Get a decent bike cover to make it less obvious - you'll need one anyway - bikes don't last very long out in the wet.

A bike alarm of some sort.

Sell the bike and buy an old Raleigh ladies 3 speed.

Ow never thought about a cover or alarm, hey I use to have a raliegh shopper 3 speed and it had a basket on the front too Hahaha.

blush, mmm narr !

Edited by GreyLady

It would be good if you had a metal loop on your roof to chain the bike to, rather than just making it so if can't be ridden.

I don't think the microdots and stuff like are any good since they will only be looked at if the cops suspect its stolen and why would they do that? You should have your contact info engraved on though.

Rust paint is here if you want to take Phil's advice

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1820_1_2861735.html

BTW I once forget to load my bike onto a the boat at the top of flight we had just come up, it was 3 days before I looked in the engine room and realised that I had lost it (I didn't keep it on the roof you note). When we got back to the lock in a few more days I found that someone had taken the bike to a nearby boat yard and kept it in case anyone claimed it. So I got it back! There's a lot more honest people about than you might think.

It would be good if you had a metal loop on your roof to chain the bike to, rather than just making it so if can't be ridden.

I don't think the microdots and stuff like are any good since they will only be looked at if the cops suspect its stolen and why would they do that? You should have your contact info engraved on though.

Rust paint is here if you want to take Phil's advice

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1820_1_2861735.html

BTW I once forget to load my bike onto a the boat at the top of flight we had just come up, it was 3 days before I looked in the engine room and realised that I had lost it (I didn't keep it on the roof you note). When we got back to the lock in a few more days I found that someone had taken the bike to a nearby boat yard and kept it in case anyone claimed it. So I got it back! There's a lot more honest people about than you might think.

hi, thanks for your reply

I thought Phil was joking when he mentioned Rust Spray, sorry Phil.

I think engraving is a good bit of advice Tiggs, my dads got some metal number and letter punches I suppose i could stamp some details in a few places on the bike.

Glad you got your bike back, their not cheap these days, I dont think my dad will let put the bike on the roof so it would have to be chained up on the stern rails.

I will go in my dads garage and have a mooch for his letter punches.

cheers Tiggs

Edited by GreyLady

Just a point to note.

Don't do what many people do and pass the chain through the wheel - make sure you pass it through the frame.

So many people do this without thinking and the sneaky thieves just pinch the bike and leave the wheel.

( Of course, if the thieves are really sneaky they will pinch the wheels and saddle and leave the frame angry.png )

Just a point to note.

Don't do what many people do and pass the chain through the wheel - make sure you pass it through the frame.

So many people do this without thinking and the sneaky thieves just pinch the bike and leave the wheel.

( Of course, if the thieves are really sneaky they will pinch the wheels and saddle and leave the frame :angry2: )

Good point, they are cheaky swines.

I moved into a really nice care facility a few years ago thinking owe no one will nick my bike here, do I left my bike in the foya with just a c clamp lock through the wheel and frame.

1 hour later I came back - No Bike, they must of carried it away over their shoulders.

I wont make it easy this time.

in the drink.

Mad thought........ Hide it underwater!

Of course you would have to remember to fish it out before you set off, you don't want to get your own bike stuck on your prop and then there is the joy of drying the saddle before you go for a ride! As for preventing it from going rusty.......

Maybe a bit too mad! rolleyes.gif

All good advice except that most stolen bikes seem to end up in the cut where it won't matter what colour tape or paint you've decorated it with.

Try tying 6ft of fishing line to a fluorescent ping pong ball which you then tuck underneath the saddle.

Best thing to do is to use it a lot.

My very expensive folding mountain bike looks like a pile of junk to the unedumacated eye, being covered in mud and general towpath shite. I even left it at Reading station for 24 hours unlocked the other day and no-one nicked it!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably a bit late with this suggestion since you've already got the bike, but a folding bike isn't a bad option since you can then put it inside the boat if you have to leave the boat somewhere. These are pretty good http://dahon.com/mainnav/foldingbikes/single-view/bike/espresso_d24.html

Don't place too much reliance on the solid metal bike locks, they can be broken open with a car jack.

Edited: MtB seems to have beaten me to the suggestionhuh.png

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

• 2 weeks later...

Probably a bit late with this suggestion since you've already got the bike, but a folding bike isn't a bad option since you can then put it inside the boat if you have to leave the boat somewhere. These are pretty good http://dahon.com/mainnav/foldingbikes/single-view/bike/espresso_d24.html

Don't place too much reliance on the solid metal bike locks, they can be broken open with a car jack.

Edited: MtB seems to have beaten me to the suggestion:huh:

Thanks or the link WV, ive covered my bike with matt vinyl wrap and stamped the frame with some details.

I cant afford another bike, I wish I had bough a folding bike instead now :-(

Advice from Police:

- Get your bike security marked and registered at BikeRegister. Getting your bike security marked and registered is a visible deterrent to bike thieves. They know that if they are caught in possession of a registered bike, the rightful owner can be traced and they will be arrested. Find out if your local Met Police Safer Transport Team has any marking events planned.

- Record details of your bike. Frame number (normally found underneath the bike between the pedals or where the back wheel slots in), BikeRegister number, other distinguishing features, and take a photo.

- Use locks of gold 'Sold Secure' standard. Also, use two different types of lock, with at least one being a high quality D-lock. It takes thieves a few seconds to cut through poor quality locks - make it as difficult for them as possible.

- Lock the frame and both wheels to the cycle parking stand.

- Make the locks and bike hard to manoeuvre. Secure your bike as close to the stand as possible.

- Take parts that are easy to remove with you. For example, saddles and wheels. Or use secure skewers, which can increase security by securing the bike's components to the frame permanently, making it difficult for thieves to steal parts such as saddle or wheels.Heavy duty motorbike security chain and padlock.

• Greenie 1

Advice from Police:

- Get your bike security marked and registered at BikeRegister. Getting your bike security marked and registered is a visible deterrent to bike thieves. They know that if they are caught in possession of a registered bike, the rightful owner can be traced and they will be arrested. Find out if your local Met Police Safer Transport Team has any marking events planned.

- Record details of your bike. Frame number (normally found underneath the bike between the pedals or where the back wheel slots in), BikeRegister number, other distinguishing features, and take a photo.

- Use locks of gold 'Sold Secure' standard. Also, use two different types of lock, with at least one being a high quality D-lock. It takes thieves a few seconds to cut through poor quality locks - make it as difficult for them as possible.

- Lock the frame and both wheels to the cycle parking stand.

- Make the locks and bike hard to manoeuvre. Secure your bike as close to the stand as possible.

- Take parts that are easy to remove with you. For example, saddles and wheels. Or use secure skewers, which can increase security by securing the bike's components to the frame permanently, making it difficult for thieves to steal parts such as saddle or wheels.Heavy duty motorbike security chain and padlock.

Thanks for that Quebec.

Have a greenie.