Waverley

Bullfrog

Featured Posts

My 50th Birthday present was a trip on the WAVERLEY from Tower pier, up the Medway and got off at Southend on the return for Mussel supper. Very stable, very smooth, and she don't half go!

Tug spins her round off Tower pier, through the bridge then casts off. Bought a commemorative plate on board, but the image wore off after a few washes! Wasn't so impressed with that!

We did a full day trip on her from Southwold to Tower pier. The day started with us walking on the prom at Southwold and hearing a strange 'slap...slap...slap..' out at sea - we looked and saw Waverley approaching.

After a great trip we arrived at Tower Bridge. As the bascules started to rise we heard a roar in the sky - we looked up and there was Concord over the City setting up for finals into Heathrow.

A magical trip and magical memory.

Am on the evening trip next Wednesday, very much looking forward to it ?

Tim

I've been hearing Waverley requesting bridge lifts now and then on the marine vhf radiotelelephone in my wheelhouse (channel 14). I was intrigued as to what boat she was so googled it.

What a lovely boat !! - I am now quite tempted to book a trip with the family to Southend as there is a direct train back to Limehouse which is handy. If there are any spaces left while there is a chance of fair weather.

Let us know what its like Tim Lewis - and enjoy it :)

Edited by magnetman

We're booked in for a family (Grandparents ie us, son and daughter in law plus 4 grandchildren!) trip next Saturday.

Tower Pier down to Gravesend on Waverley then back home by various public transport after a visit to Cutty Sark at Greenwich. Hopefully my route planning will all work! We do one of these each year but vary the location to a different South coast Waverley trip.

Richard

Edited by rjasmith

There used to be a good Pie & Mash shop in Greenwich, but I fancy it may have gone now. Wasn't far from the Cutty Sark.

Do you mean Goddards at Greenwich, the green building on the corner of Turnpin lane (leads to Greenwich market) and King William Walk? if so they were certainly still there in June.

There used to be a good Pie & Mash shop in Greenwich, but I fancy it may have gone now. Wasn't far from the Cutty Sark.

Sounds wonderful but it will be a bit late for lunch (children will need something earlier) by the time we get back to Greenwich and too early to have it on Waverley, so it will be lunch on arrival in Gravesend, probably on the Town Pier.

Actually, from last years trip I found that Waverley's restaurant cooking is a bit less good than I remember it. Perhaps in the big refit they changed all the galley equipment. I wonder if the galley was once either coal fired or steam powered!

At least she doesn't reverberate to the sound of diesel generators these days since they replaced the Babcock oil boiler with those new ones and at the same time went for super hushed diesels down in the bilges. Sadly there was never enough electric generation by steam once modern visitor needs came along, hence the need for diesel generation. Also a bit sad that both funnels don't belch black coal smoke any more as real stokers shovelled coal into the double ended scotch boiler furnaces that she originaly had. However rather less polluting when the automatic oil burners fire up nowadays!

Richard

• 1 month later...

I've been hearing Waverley requesting bridge lifts now and then on the marine vhf radiotelelephone in my wheelhouse (channel 14). I was intrigued as to what boat she was so googled it.

What a lovely boat !! - I am now quite tempted to book a trip with the family to Southend as there is a direct train back to Limehouse which is handy. If there are any spaces left while there is a chance of fair weather.

Let us know what its like Tim Lewis - and enjoy it smile.png

A bit late in replying but it was an excellent trip, chillier than last year but less crowded

22135108958_9b3f037810_k.jpg