Marcus on Ch 4

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

Having met Marcus at the time and seen the sunken boat close up, I really want to see this program. It isn't listed on my Virgin Media catch up, but I'm hoping I can get to see it this evening on the Channel 4 +24 channel.

We haven't heard much from him on the forum, and I suppose that's because he's been devoting a lot of his spare time to all the work of restoration. I really hope it's all turned out well and not financially ruined him in the process.

Having met Marcus at the time and seen the sunken boat close up, I really want to see this program. It isn't listed on my Virgin Media catch up, but I'm hoping I can get to see it this evening on the Channel 4 +24 channel.

We haven't heard much from him on the forum, and I suppose that's because he's been devoting a lot of his spare time to all the work of restoration. I really hope it's all turned out well and not financially ruined him in the process.

We followed his journey on the forum and did watch the C4 documentary. It definitely ended in a very upbeat manner - he spent about £7.5k doing up the boat and the result was fantastic. He used crowdfunding - not to raise money but to recruit free labour. His energy and charisma pulled it off from the impression we got. Definitely worth watching - C4 have an on demand facility on the internet or if you've got a tablet you can download their app then download the program if you're lacking in the ability to livestream (sorry meaning if you don't have the necessary internet access - not that you personally can't!

Edited by Ange

gutted i missed it, i would think it will repeated again very soon. These boats are great, i will go have a read on the other thread about the troubles on the sinking i think.

Good to know he saved it. :)

gutted i missed it, i would think it will repeated again very soon. These boats are great, i will go have a read on the other thread about the troubles on the sinking i think.

Good to know he saved it. :)

Just watch it on 4oD. The whole programme shows several projects and only shows the boat for about 10 mins in total.

Oh dear, I bet a number of the volunteers wouldn't be happy if they knew the free labour was being used for commercial gain.

To me it looked like the volunteers did all the work as I seen very little contribution from Marcus in terms of building/repairs, a little soapy water splashed here and there, a little polish of brass and him getting excited about a flag. No wonder Rachael binned the project and him as he came across as clueless, and as he said he'd been sacked from a few financial jobs, I can see why. So well done to the volunteers as without them there would of been no programme or boat as "nice but dim" seamed to have no idea or intention of doing any hard work or knew what he was doing. Oh but he did buy an axe.

Edited by Northernboater
  • Greenie 3

It did'nt look as if he ever got the engine fixed or the heating installed!

I doubt it will ever get done unless someone volenteers to do it for free. I wonder why it didn't mention the engine in the programme or show you the sodden ribs under the floor to show they were dry once the boat was so-called finished. I suspect a lot of things were covered up just to make the programme as all it really showed was volenteers scrapping and painting.

If you had watched last weeks when the Welsh guy built a holiday home out of a small trailer caravan you would of seen far more hands on work and thought going into it.

To me it looked like the volunteers did all the work as I seen very little contribution from Marcus in terms of building/repairs, a little soapy water splashed here and there, a little polish of brass and him getting excited about a flag. No wonder Rachael binned the project and him as he came across as clueless, and as he said he'd been sacked from a few financial jobs, I can see why. So well done to the volunteers as without them there would of been no programme or boat as "nice but dim" seamed to have no idea or intention of doing any hard work or knew what he was doing. Oh but he did buy an axe.

But he organised it all, thought of the crowd funding labour, got it on tv etc.

From what the program said, he was offering the volunteers free time on the boat in exchange for labour.

Ah ok, that's not so bad then. If renovation was for commercial purposes all along I do hope they were informed though.

It might have been me but the end shots didn't look like the work was anything more than superficial (Scrub up and paint over) which is a shame. Hopefully the boat will last long enough for someone a little more hands on to finish the job.

Northern boater, didn't you have a very large axe to grind in the original sinking thread?

I think the programme just highlighted that he didn't have a clue, just like when he originally bought the boat and sank it. Or was I watching another programme?

Edited by Northernboater
  • Greenie 1

several links

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=76609&hl=marcus

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=75193&hl=fairstar

and the big one

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=68663&page=18&hl=marcus+warry#entry1374060

I think the programme just highlighted that he didn't have a clue, just like when he originally bought the boat and sank it. Or was I watching another programme?

Thats probably true, but lots of people dont have a clue. He has tried, OK he is not a practical person but not every one is. I would have left it on the bottom of the Thames.

Thats probably true, but lots of people dont have a clue. He has tried, OK he is not a practical person but not every one is. I would have left it on the bottom of the Thames.

That's very true. Marcus is a 'people' person and what he's very good at inspiring peeps, communicating a vision and mobilising help.

As he demonstrates, this can get things done just as much as being able to cut a mortice and tenon joint.