Nottingham

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

I would highly recommend the Cumin Indian restaurant on Maid Marion Way. Its seriously good, not your normal Vindaloo/korma establishment. You will probably need to book.

Something completely different - the caves accessible from Broadmarsh shopping centre are well worth a visit.

The Trip To Jerusalem shouldnt be missed - with excellent beer and food. I had expected it to be a touristy rip-off place, it's not. It does get busy though.

A trip to the City Ground should of course be top of anybody's list of things to do in Nottingham! Home of Nottingham Forest, whose achievements under Brian Clough in winning promotion to the old First Division and then winning the title, two League Cups and two European Cups will never be repeated. And this in the days when entry into Europe's premier competition was only open to the winners of their league, unlike today when you can finish fourth and still qualify.

A trip to the City Ground should of course be top of anybody's list of things to do in Nottingham! Home of Nottingham Forest, whose achievements under Brian Clough in winning promotion to the old First Division and then winning the title, two League Cups and two European Cups will never be repeated. And this in the days when entry into Europe's premier competition was only open to the winners of their league, unlike today when you can finish fourth and still qualify.

Neither of us is in the slightest bit interested in football.

I'm amazed by Rachel's trammist stance. I was brought up in Sheffield and have liked trams ever since. OK, the ones of my childhood were proper double-deckers, but the new ones are pretty darned neat, fast, convenient.... What's not to like?

I'm amazed by Rachel's trammist stance. I was brought up in Sheffield and have liked trams ever since. OK, the ones of my childhood were proper double-deckers, but the new ones are pretty darned neat, fast, convenient.... What's not to like?

The dangerous tracks in the road, the traffic they cause, the tram gates, the traffic they hold up when they stop, ...........

I could go on.

They are a bloody nuisance.

The dangerous tracks in the road, the traffic they cause, the tram gates, the traffic they hold up when they stop, ...........

I could go on.

They are a bloody nuisance.

I think that buses hold up traffic when they stop, too.

How do trams cause traffic? Surely they reduce it, as people who might otherwise travel by car catch the tram instead.

Years ago you would have had a point about the track. There was once a Yorkshire-built make of car called a Jowett. Early (pre-war) Jowetts had exceedingly thin wheels; when I was a boy in Sheffield I remember our elderly neighbour saying "If you got t'wheels stook in t'tracks you 'ad to go all t'way to t'depot".

I think that buses hold up traffic when they stop, too.

How do trams cause traffic? Surely they reduce it, as people who might otherwise travel by car catch the tram instead.

Years ago you would have had a point about the track. There was once a Yorkshire-built make of car called a Jowett. Early (pre-war) Jowetts had exceedingly thin wheels; when I was a boy in Sheffield I remember our elderly neighbour saying "If you got t'wheels stook in t'tracks you 'ad to go all t'way to t'depot".

The buses on the major routes are either in bus lanes or lay by bus stops in Sheffield so they don't hold the traffic up. The trams stop in the middle of the road. At each tram stop there is a central island in the road so you cant go around them.

Other then on match days the trams are running well below passenger capacity. It isn't uncommon to see them virtually empty. Unless you live on a tram route just getting to one can be a problem. From where we live we would need to catch a bus to even get to the nearest tram stop. People don't do that when they can jump in their car!

To return to the original question.

If your here this weekend you could get a bus up to the forest and go to the Goose Fair.

We probably won't get up to Nottingham until Monday at the earliest.

We have friends accompanying us for the weekend and they are leaving their boat at Kings Marina for the week so we will be in an around Newark for the weekend.

If you are passing back through Nottm the following Saturday 10th Oct there is a canal festival at the Canalhouse and I think in the streets around there and Nottingham Beer festival is on from Weds 7th-10th at the castle just up the hill from there

If you are passing back through Nottm the following Saturday 10th Oct there is a canal festival at the Canalhouse and I think in the streets around there and Nottingham Beer festival is on from Weds 7th-10th at the castle just up the hill from there

We will miss the canal festival. By Saturday we will be back Newark way as we have to be back at Burton Waters for Sunday evening.

i to used the old double deckers and trolley buses clapping.gif and really enjoyed them must say the new ones are good but totally agree with rachael they should be on tracks that dont run in the road they cause chaos, and they will be rotherham shortly but on the railway tracks if the letter i received is to be believed

i to used the old double deckers and trolley buses clapping.gif and really enjoyed them must say the new ones are good but totally agree with rachael they should be on tracks that dont run in the road they cause chaos, and they will be rotherham shortly but on the railway tracks if the letter i received is to be believed

When I travelled on the new trams a few years ago in Sheff. I got the impression that a good part of their route mileage was on "reserved" tracks, i.e. not in the road. Even the old network had some reserved tracks; I remember them at (I think) Beauchief. Buses do not have reserved tracks, they are always in the road!

When I travelled on the new trams a few years ago in Sheff. I got the impression that a good part of their route mileage was on "reserved" tracks, i.e. not in the road. Even the old network had some reserved tracks; I remember them at (I think) Beauchief. Buses do not have reserved tracks, they are always in the road!

In bus lanes!

the problem is that they do for the most have central running however city road bocham parkway and plenty of others they dodge in and out so causing holdups for both them and us not well thought out. in our days the trams ran fast because there was not the traffic on the road

the problem is that they do for the most have central running however city road bocham parkway and plenty of others they dodge in and out so causing holdups for both them and us not well thought out. in our days the trams ran fast because there was not the traffic on the road

To get home we go through Hillsborough and along Middlewood Road. The trams cause havoc.