Does this ring have a name?

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

I'd have thought it is the South Pennine Ring

The Pennine Ring used to be the Trent and Mersey one way and Leeds and Liverpool back, before the Huddersfield and Rochdale Canals were reopened.

From what I can see the South Pennine Ring is Rochdale Canal, Calder and Hebble, Huddersfield Broad, Huddersfield Narrow and the Ashton

It's the Nine Counties Ring.

In order (if I've counted correctly)

Nottinghamshire

Derbyshire

Staffordshire

Cheshire

Greater Manchester

West Yorkshire

South Yorkshire

Humberside

Lincolnshire

Good idea, but Humberside no longer exists so we need a re-count. I reckon you can add in North Yorkshire (Eggborough and Whitley Bridge), East Riding (Thorne) and North Lincolnshire (Keadby). So that makes it the Eleven Counties Ring.

Good idea, but Humberside no longer exists so we need a re-count. I reckon you can add in North Yorkshire (Eggborough and Whitley Bridge), East Riding (Thorne) and North Lincolnshire (Keadby). So that makes it the Eleven Counties Ring.

Hmm Yorkshire is just one big county now...

sadly no ridings.

eta or rather ... the ridings are part of the one big

county

oh I've confused myself now

Edited by 8 Hairy Feet

Hmm Yorkshire is just one big county now...

sadly no ridings.

eta or rather ... the ridings are part of the one big

county

oh I've confused myself now

No sorry, but the are three.

North, South and West Yorkshire.

North Yorkshire is England's largest county by itself.

We once did a ring from Great Haywood via the T & M, Bridgewater, Leeds and Liverpool, Stainforth and Keadby (I know I have missed a few bits out there but don't have a map handy), the Trent and the T & M back to Great Haywood. We were back at Trent Lock in 2 weeks (we were out for 3) so did the Erewash as well.

Does that ring (minus the Erewash) have a name?

Haggis

Edited by haggis

Haha! :-)

Actually it wasn't too bad. We did 2 or 3 hours a day with quite a few days off. We enlisted crew for the HNC. Canal plan suggests you could do this in 19 days at 7 hours per day, we took ten weeks.

Sounds about right - We did similar from Leicester via Keadby,Stanforth, SSYN, Aire & Clader , Calder & Hebble, Rochdale (Not allowed thru Standedge), Ashton, Peak forest, Macc,T&M then Soar to home....

16 Days - It was probably the biggest challange I will ever do !!!! Sounds much more enjoyable at 3hrs a day !

Edited - Missed out the Macc !

Edited by benfordboy