Tim Leech

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Yes, very sad news indeed. Our sincere condolences to Liz & family.

Tim has done a lot of work on Alton over the years both in our custodianship & Georges, including re-bottoming, re-footing, & riveted repairs. At dockings I would stay on the boat & work as his labourer / trainee, on my second day whilst waiting for the blacking to dry, I asked if I could do anything to help & he said if I was feeling energetic I could dig & scrape some of the mud & silt out of the bottom of the dock. When Tim & Roy came back in the morning they couldn't believe they're eyes to see a totally clear brick floor :-) . My reward was some of Tim & Liz's fine, freshly brewed proper coffee.

Tim was a real engineer, equally as good with hands as with his head. When we needed to do some riveted repairs, he had the time & patience to show me how to make the rivets & together we completed the repairs. He was always willing to give others the benefit of his knowledge or advice, either in person, over the phone or via email or the net & he obviously loved CWDF & got pleasure from helping others.

Tim didn't seem himself when I saw him early in the spring & said he was feeling run down & must have had some sort of bug. Then a few months ago when I called in at Dutton he was sat in the garden, I sat down & we chatted in the sunshine, he told me the news of his recent diagnosis. It was one of those very rare conversations (for me at least, that I felt I could drop all barriers & speak from the heart), I'm crying again now just thinking about it. He asked me to keep the details & severity of his illness private.

I believe that Tim's funeral will be a private / family affair, but I think it is planned to have a celebration of his life prior to, or during the Acton Bridge Steam & Boat Gathering on the Weaver 2nd - 4th October, an event Tim loved & has attended for very many years. I'll post more details when I know them.

RIP Tim, you'll live on in the many boats you've helped keep afloat.

Cheers, Brian

Lovely tribute.

He also helped me in PM with some info.

Never met him but always came across as a giant/font of info of this forum

Yes, very sad news indeed. Our sincere condolences to Liz & family.

Tim has done a lot of work on Alton over the years both in our custodianship & Georges, including re-bottoming, re-footing, & riveted repairs. At dockings I would stay on the boat & work as his labourer / trainee, on my second day whilst waiting for the blacking to dry, I asked if I could do anything to help & he said if I was feeling energetic I could dig & scrape some of the mud & silt out of the bottom of the dock. When Tim & Roy came back in the morning they couldn't believe they're eyes to see a totally clear brick floor :-) . My reward was some of Tim & Liz's fine, freshly brewed proper coffee.

Tim was a real engineer, equally as good with hands as with his head. When we needed to do some riveted repairs, he had the time & patience to show me how to make the rivets & together we completed the repairs. He was always willing to give others the benefit of his knowledge or advice, either in person, over the phone or via email or the net & he obviously loved CWDF & got pleasure from helping others.

Tim didn't seem himself when I saw him early in the spring & said he was feeling run down & must have had some sort of bug. Then a few months ago when I called in at Dutton he was sat in the garden, I sat down & we chatted in the sunshine, he told me the news of his recent diagnosis. It was one of those very rare conversations (for me at least, that I felt I could drop all barriers & speak from the heart), I'm crying again now just thinking about it. He asked me to keep the details & severity of his illness private.

I believe that Tim's funeral will be a private / family affair, but I think it is planned to have a celebration of his life prior to, or during the Acton Bridge Steam & Boat Gathering on the Weaver 2nd - 4th October, an event Tim loved & has attended for very many years. I'll post more details when I know them.

RIP Tim, you'll live on in the many boats you've helped keep afloat.

Cheers, Brian

Thanks for that Brian. So eloquently put and far better than I could have said.

R.I.P. Tim

George ex nb Alton retired

The fact that I am shocked and saddened by the death of someone I have never even met or never really 'knew' goes to show what kind of man he was.

Tim replied to my posts and requests and shared his knowledge with me and I know with many others. What a thoroughly decent chap, who I know will be sorely missed.

Sending my condolences to his family and friends.

I'm saddened by this news although I never got to meet Tim in person. I always enjoyed reading his posts and the extent of his knowledge and passion came through clearly in his posting style. He was one of those who's advice could always be trusted and he never seemed to lose patience with answering technical questions.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Tom

I was lucky enough to meet Tim a few times and he helped me when I needed a temporary mooring a few years ago. You couldn't hope to meet a nicer bloke who was an excellent engineer as well. I always looked forward to passing dutton to see what interesting craft are there & to say hello. Will seem odd now.

Cheers

Gareth

A sad loss. If he was around in Dutton as we passed he would be sure to look in the engine room and assure me all sounded well. He could sense my enthusiasm and also my lack of mechanical confidence. On one visit he studied all the paintings and told me the styles they had been following.

Came through Dutton on Wednesday and wondered why it was so quiet, and sadly now know the reason. Rest in peace, Tim. You were always helpful and knowledgeable.

My condolences to Tim's family.

What a terrible news !

Tim really was a guy that knew what he was saying, a mine of information as has been said before, and always ready to let others benefit of his knowledge.

I've sadly enough never met him in person, but we shared a lot of similar experiences on the European waterways, and we had some acquiantances in common.

His participation on this forum will be badly missed.

Dear Tim R I P.

Peter.

We have just come through Dutton and I met Tims son as he crossed the lock gate. When I expressed my condolences he said that Tim died very peacefully last Sunday. There will be a memorial service in the Leigh Arms at midday on the day before the steam event at Acton Bridge

I thinking he said the 2nd but I am not sure

Tim was only 67. As his son said, far too young to go. He appreciated how much his father will be missed by so many people

Ann

What very sad news. I had the pleasure of spending a week in Tim's Dry Dock whilst he did some work on my boat. He was a truly professional engineer who clearly had great knowledge and skill; he will be sadly missed. My deepest condolences to his family.

Sad news to hear. Like many I only knew him through his posts here on CWDF, and a true gentlemen and knowledgeable too. As we say deep sea to those embarking a long voyage , " Calm seas and a fair wind!"

Condolences to friends and family.