starter battery/solar panel

Kapt. Kipper.

Featured Posts

Hi all. My battery set up is 3 bank leisure all 110ah and a starter also 110 ah. I'm a weekender

( no pun ) and would like to keep my starter topped up using a solar panel. What panel output would be adequate.

My banks are controlled by a 1,2 or all switch. Would one with simple crocodile clips suffice or something a little more substantial.

I wait with bated .......

Any starter battery should be good for a month or more. If yours doesn't last that long it's time to sort the problem. Unless you intend leaving it all winter without using or charging it then I'd forget the solar. if you do go ahead then any small panel will be enough to keep it topped up and crocs are fine but it is not difficult to use proper connectors.

Hi, My alternator packed up 2 years ago. I didn't bother to fix it. I just connected a 15w solar panel (with regulator) to the starter battery. It's worked fine and the battery is always fully charged. I use other solar panels to charge my domestic batteries but have included a switch to divert a higher wattage (60w) panel to charge the starter if necessary. I don't miss the alternator at all!

If you boat weekly then you should have no need for anything to support the batteries between excursions, if you do then consider that the battery is dead.

If you leave it for a month or more then a small (5 - 20watt) panel should be good to maintain the starter battery even in the winter. Sadly a 20w panel may cost more than a 100w panel, but consider the roof space it occupies.

In peak summer 150w panel array is sufficient for an electrically frugal lifestyle (no fridge or freezer!). For a full family of electrically entertained people (Fridge freezer computers TVs and game consoles etc) then arrays up to 1000watts may well be needed.

As few people can live without electricity it's usually good to have several ways of topping up a battery bank.

Thanks all for that. It is just a belt and braces way of ensuring charge to starter during long winter absences ( I live quite away from the boat), in case we get a heavy fall of snow then a big freeze, flooding etc.

In winter, and especially with heavy snow, a solar panel ain't going to do much! Although our boat is on shore power when unattended, my mate's boat isn't and he never uses it between October and March, but it always starts fine despite a fairly old battery. If your (automatic) bilge pump is on the engine battery, I would try to ensure no drips from the stern gland before leaving the boat for a prolonged period, otherwise it doesn't seem worth a solar panel to me.

Nn thanks for that I'm feeling more confident about leaving her this winter. Now you mentioned stern gland.....what and where is this....

Where the propellor shaft disappears through the hull into the water at the back. The gland is a seal that keeps the water out. On most boats this is adjustable and lubricated /sealed by grease from a fitted screw-down greaser. If water is leaking in, and if you have an automatic bilge pump, then every time it cuts in it will use a bit of battery power. On many boats, the bilge pump is powered from the engine battery.

Anyway, I suggest you familiarise yourself with the gland and the means of extracting water from the bilge - ie whether automatic or manual, and where powered from if automatic. If the boat has a cruiser or semi-trad stern rainwater /melting snow can also get into the bilges if the drainage guttering are blocked / in poor condition.

Not wishing to worry you but the greatest concern with leaving a boat unattended for long periods should be avoiding it sinking, rather than worrying too much about a flat engine battery!

Ah yes I know about the screw down greaser but didn't know its name and now I do. It is an automatic bilge pump fitted to the leisure bank. ( I'll check). Luckily in this case its a trad stern so the engine is under cover. Thanks for your advise, another hurdle cleared.

Mmmmm...catch 22.....so me thinks the auto bilge pump is on leisure bank, do I leave switch on 2 and isolate the starter.

You'd need to check the wiring. Sometimes (often) the bilge pump is wired direct to the batteries (via a fuse) so remains on when the isolator is at 0. But don't assume - check!