A Beta 43 Question

Featured Posts

Our boat has a Beta 43 engine and we are very happy with it.

Very occasionally, however, while cruising along the engine warning buzzer will emit 4 distinct beeps, no more, no less.

When this happens the voltage, oil pressure and engine temperature gauges are all in their normal positions and the engine carries on as if nothing has happened. The only 'out of the ordinary' thing is that the warning light on the bottom of the panel (starter battery one I think, the other battery icon has a 'D' next to it) lights up while the buzzer is beeping and goes out when the 4 beeps have finished.

I'm not particularly worried about this, I'm just puzzled as to whats happening.

It happened 3 times in the short trip from Lapworth to Hatton the other week but not a squeak on the way back.

I'm wondering if it could be the belt slipping on the alternator that charges the starter battery but that seems to be tight enough.

Or perhaps the connecting block at the back of the engine working loose, but the two parts are firmly taped together.

Over to you team, any ideas?

Any chance you have solar connected to the engine batteries or a Travelpower feeding a battery charger?

We are getting a number of cases where the alternator regulator shuts down with very well charge batteries and an extra charging source. That brings on the warning lamp, sounds the buzzer and may stop any revcounter working.

With no external charging make sure the drive belt is tight enough.

If you do have solar it is almost certainly nothing to worry about.

Thanks for that Tony.

No, no Travelpower, solar or anything else like that.

Its been happening for the past 2 or 3 years so I don't think its anything to worry about. I'm just interested in whats causing it.

Sometimes (but not always!) it happens when going straight from high revs (2000ish) to tickover which leads me to believe its something to do with the alternator drive belt slipping.

Thinking about it I haven't changed the belts in the 4 years, and 2500ish engine hours, that we've had the boat so it might have stretched a bit. And yes, I do carry spares!

Sounds more like a loose connection or poorly crimped terminal, possibly early signs of worn brushes. If it was a loose belt I would expect it to play up far more early in the day when there is a high load on the alternator. Could be a dry joint inside the alternator but I rather doubt that.

Beta use a multi way block connector in at least some of their wiring looms. This is really no more than a plastic block holding several sets of spade connectors.

It looks tidy but makes it hard to see if the connectors are correctly joined, and hard to correct it if they are not.

I want to replace the one in our engine room since it needs tweaking once in a while to get a good contact in one of the circuits. Lack of time and of a good simple replacement has prevented this so far!

I expect your 43 has a similar thing in its wiring. The Beta 43 a friend had a while ago certainly did. If yours does, check it out.