The end of an era, "Barnet" departs for new grounds, CanalScape-BCN

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

A familiar sight at Broad St depot for many years, "Barnet" today departed with her new owners to pastures new.

Operated successfully for a number of years on assistance maintenance and dredging profiling the boat was a busy operation until the formation of CRT.

In the past few years little to nothing has been done or achieved and with CRT failing to provide work a decision was made to fold up the operation and sadly sell the boat.

For me it was a sad day, I started my boating being taught how to steer a Large Woolwich many years ago and today my Large Woolwich went to new owners.

The boat achieved a lot from 1998 -2015 being used as a filming platform, an advertisement for Walsall's attractions, BW's attempt at re invigorating carrying by canal in 2002, helping spur the now defunct Walsall Boat gatherings and the parades in Birmingham that were a great crowd puller. We delivered the final organ pipes to Symphony Hall and generally she was a useful asset.

My thanks to all who helped crew "Barnet" and indeed maintain her, I hope she finds work in her new home closer to her birthplace.

For me the end of an era, the waterways are much changed now and she will very likely be my last boat.

Good luck to 109 and her new owners.

gallery_5000_522_287699.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg
  • Greenie 2

Laurence. I know that you have been involved for far longer than I was, but as everyone says we are custodians not owners, the boats will always be part of our lives, but we will always be in there history. Just think no more blacking, etc I hope one day to own another boat as I'm sure you do, even with your recent experience. Good luck in the future.

Laurence. I know that you have been involved for far longer than I was, but as everyone says we are custodians not owners, the boats will always be part of our lives, but we will always be in there history. Just think no more blacking, etc I hope one day to own another boat as I'm sure you do, even with your recent experience. Good luck in the future.

Thanks for your thoughts Ben, maybe if things got better than they are now I might consider it, but as they are I will stick to my research and historical stuff.

I have never met you but have enjoyed your nolagable posts, espeshaly the ones regarding the bcn, an area regarded as a joke by most of this country and a danger to be avoided by most boaters. It was sad to read this and what sounds like a real end of a era for you.I wish you well and hope to see meany more of your post on hear,reminding us all that the waterways are not just a holaday home but has a proud history aswell.

I have never met you but have enjoyed your nolagable posts, espeshaly the ones regarding the bcn, an area regarded as a joke by most of this country and a danger to be avoided by most boaters. It was sad to read this and what sounds like a real end of a era for you.I wish you well and hope to see meany more of your post on hear,reminding us all that the waterways are not just a holaday home but has a proud history aswell.

Many thanks Donald, yesterday the new owners have just encountered their first piece of poor maintenance being unable to open fully the lower gate at Factory locks bottom, they were forced to reverse up the flight and go down the old main line. Despite calling the CRT emergency line no one showed up.

• 2 months later...

Many thanks Donald, yesterday the new owners have just encountered their first piece of poor maintenance being unable to open fully the lower gate at Factory locks bottom, they were forced to reverse up the flight and go down the old main line. Despite calling the CRT emergency line no one showed up.

They have a newish policy of not clearing gate recesses anymore, I got stuck above Hemel, and had to call CRT out. I won't put any effort in to doing it myself anymore, I will just call them out every time, until they get the message. I am a customer, and they are the service provider.