Is this boat builder

Sparx

Featured Posts

I saw a boat for sale. The designer/builder is John Nicol. I have searched around on the web but cant find any info.

Is this a good build of narrow boat? Is it a known build? Its a tapered hull.

Only one boat on the Canalplan boat list by anything like Nicol:

Mazarine Blue Built by Nicolls Of Runnymede in 1930 - Length : 7.5 metres ( 24 feet 7 inches ) - Beam : 1.8 metres ( 5 feet 11 inches )
Powered by an Inboard Petrol engine with a capacity of 1600 CC. Registered with Environment Authority - Thames Region number M1255 as a Private Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Friday 27th April 2007 )

http://canalplan.org.uk/boat/52335

Have you got the name right?

Richard

Only one boat on the Canalplan boat list by anything like Nicol:

http://canalplan.org.uk/boat/52335

Have you got the name right?

Richard

Don't forget that details like builder aren't mandatory information for CRT (in fact 11,000 entries in the Boat Register for CRT boats have "Unknown" as the builder) - and as its "freetext" then you get all sorts of problems with it. Once I get the CRT data for this year I'm going to try to do some more data tidying.

For example:

+----------------------+----------------+

| builder | count(builder) |

| BCN BOAT SERV/NICHOL | 1 |

| NICHOLAS SHEEN | 1 |

| NICHOLS | 1 |

| NICHOLS OF YORK | 2 |

| NICHOLSON | 1 |

| P.NICHOLS STEEL BTS | 178 |

| PETER NICHOLLS | 12 |

| PETER NICHOLLS YACHT | 2 |

| PETER NICHOLS | 7 |

| PETER NICHOLS STEEL | 1 |

| PHILP E NICHOLSON | 1 |

| PORTER NICHOLLS | 1 |

Edited by StephenA

Don't forget that details like builder aren't mandatory information for CRT (in fact 11,000 entries in the Boat Register for CRT boats have "Unknown" as the builder) - and as its "freetext" then you get all sorts of problems with it. Once I get the CRT data for this year I'm going to try to do some more data tidying.

For example:

| BCN BOAT SERV/NICHOL | 1 |

| NICHOLAS SHEEN | 1 |

| NICHOLS | 1 |

| NICHOLS OF YORK | 2 |

| NICHOLSON | 1 |

| P.NICHOLS STEEL BTS | 178 |

| PETER NICHOLLS | 12 |

| PETER NICHOLLS YACHT | 2 |

| PETER NICHOLS | 7 |

| PETER NICHOLS STEEL | 1 |

| PHILP E NICHOLSON | 1 |

| PORTER NICHOLLS | 1 |

+----------------------+----------------+No

All of your examples have an H in the name

Richard

All of your examples have an H in the name

Richard

That was to show the problem with the builder field.

Looking for anything with looking like nico you get:

| Nicolls Of Runnymede | 1 |

| NICOPLUS | 1 |

Would it be accepted on the system if one put Saddam Hussein in the builder field?

I can see some space for a bit of humour in there or is it filtered at least a bit

I saw a boat for sale. The designer/builder is John Nicol. I have searched around on the web but cant find any info.

Is there a photo of the boat available?

You might be surprised by the collective knowledge on here if for example you were able to post a photo of the bow section of the boat (assuming its a narrow boat) there are also some experts on splitters (GRP boats) about

A tapered hull :unsure:

I'm having a new boat built, One company building the shell, one company installing the engine insulation and windows, priming and blacking and third company doing the fit out, so which Company is the boat builder?

I'm having a new boat built, One company building the shell, one company installing the engine insulation and windows, priming and blacking and third company doing the fit out, so which Company is the boat builder?

The one who built the shell. The others are boat fitters

Richard

OK. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Its a boat for sale on Apolloduck. Seems like he may be an unknown designer/builder. Im a first time buyer so I'd best be careful and there are other optoions.

For the purposed of the RCD, you are the builder.

Unusual rudder if its this one http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/image.phtml?id=346266&ximage=193069

Hurst Boatbuilders

Edited by ditchcrawler

I disagree, he's the boat fitter

Richard

When I was attempting to RCD my first NB, I'm fairly sure I was officially the boatbuilder for the purposes of obtaining the RCD certification. I bought a hull, I had it fitted out, I purchased various bits of kit, and in doing so I was taking on the role of builder according to the rules of the RCD.

I could be wrong and I'd be interested if things have changed since then. Do you have a reference supporting your disagreement?

When I was attempting to RCD my first NB, I'm fairly sure I was officially the boatbuilder for the purposes of obtaining the RCD certification. I bought a hull, I had it fitted out, I purchased various bits of kit, and in doing so I was taking on the role of builder according to the rules of the RCD.

I could be wrong and I'd be interested if things have changed since then. Do you have a reference supporting your disagreement?

My boat was built by Roger Fuller to a almost finished sailaway. The builders plate has the original boat owners name on it though.

My boat was built by Roger Fuller to a almost finished sailaway. The builders plate has the original boat owners name on it though.

Yes, my point exactly.

I think Richard and I are at cross purposes really. In the real world of common sense and logic, it makes sense to call the hull builder the boatbuilder.

In the looking glass world of EEC regulation and getting the RCD, the person making the phone calls and writing the cheques is the boatbuilder.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

In this case if you have chosen the firms, you are the builder, its that simple.

Unusual rudder if its this one http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/image.phtml?id=346266&ximage=193069

Hurst Boatbuilders

Dutch style tube rudder, they work quite well, many large barges have them.

If you choose Company A to build the shell, take delivery, then engage Company B to fit it out, then you are the boatbuilder. But if you engage Company B to build you a boat, using a shell supplied to them by Company A, and your contract is only with B, then B is the boatbuilder. Similarly if you engage A to build the boat and they subcontract the fitting out to B, then A is the boatbuilder.

Hurst Boatbuilders

This rudder looks like a "Kitchen" rudder to me, if you look at the tiller just above the deck it seems to have a construction that will move the 2 halves by lifting the tiller up, or by pushing it down.

Peter.