Dazler

Featured Posts

I have a 60ft trad with a wide prop on the back and I have a small problem.

When passing moored boats I reduce my speed as far as I can however my boat is still slightly fast.

I don't know what else I can do to slow down beyond engaging reverse and then drifting passed.

What do ther people with trad engines and wide props do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

I have a 60ft trad with a wide prop on the back and I have a small problem.

When passing moored boats I reduce my speed as far as I can however my boat is still slightly fast.

I don't know what else I can do to slow down beyond engaging reverse and then drifting passed.

What do ther people with trad engines and wide props do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

I think most people judge if someone is going past them when moored too fast by engine note ( and the boat moving), a slow revving trad engine doesn't sound like it is.

It may be you have a 1:1 (direct) gearbox fitted.

I'd be more worried about the engine coking up than pissing people off :0)

How many rpm is your tickover, what engine??

Cheers Bill

Slow down earlier, the problem many have in passing to fast is that they only slow when their bow meets the other (moored) boat.

Slow down at least a boat length ( a full sized 70') before getting there, even that may be to late if you have some speed on.

rant off, if this does not apply to you then ignore. wink.png

edit: forgot my manners, welcome to the forum

Edited by bottle

Welcome

I also have a boat that doesnt go slower than 2.5mph

At that speed makes no wash and the engine is at tickover, so most people don't notice as we slide past.

Unless you are being shouted at every day then its not a problem.

• 1 month later...

Hello folks. Happy to find this thread.

I just got absolutely roasted today by a group of boaters having a get together.

I always slow down about 50 - 100m before I pass moored boats and consider myself a very polite and courteous person and boater. I know (because I have timed her at many different revs) that my boat does just a tad over 2mph at her slowest speed.

When I started passing these boats today, I was shouted at rudely to slow down. I answered politely that I was at my slowest and was told to go into neutral. When I questioned that this would reduce my steering abilities (they were moored three abreast and there was only the width of a single boat remaining), it was taken as a flat out refusal and about 6-8 people started shouting at me simultaneously. I apologised sincerely and moved on.

I've only owned my boat for 4 years and, though I have put a bit of mileage on her, I don't consider myself to be an expert by a long way. This is the second incident in two days where I've been accused of going too fast. (The first was a boat that I could not go slow enough to stay behind, but when I tried to pass, he got abusive and twice pushed my boat out of the way with his, nearly spinning me across the canal.)

I never exceed 3mph away from other boats and I've never had a complaint about my speed before. Is it just a case of bad luck and not being able to please all the people all the time? I don't mind telling you I feel a bit shaken to have had 2 confrontations in 3 days.

Edit to say, I came on this thread because I wondered if my tickover should be slower, but it seems a lot of people have faster slowest speeds than me.

Edited by Kathymel

Ooops, manners... Welcome to the forum.

Just checked my stats and at 500rpm (tickover) in good depth our 45ft, BD3 powered, through a 21" prop does 2.7mph.

I never get any grief.

Well, by the time I'd got on deck to yell at you you'd hurtled round the next bend, so I was too late.tongue.png

I just got absolutely roasted today by a group of boaters having a get together.

I always slow down about 50 - 100m before I pass moored boats and consider myself a very polite and courteous person and boater. I know (because I have timed her at many different revs) that my boat does just a tad over 2mph at her slowest speed.

When I started passing these boats today, I was shouted at rudely to slow down. I answered politely that I was at my slowest and was told to go into neutral. When I questioned that this would reduce my steering abilities (they were moored three abreast and there was only the width of a single boat remaining), it was taken as a flat out refusal and about 6-8 people started shouting at me simultaneously. I apologised sincerely and moved on.

I've only owned my boat for 4 years and, though I have put a bit of mileage on her, I don't consider myself to be an expert by a long way. This is the second incident in two days where I've been accused of going too fast. (The first was a boat that I could not go slow enough to stay behind, but when I tried to pass, he got abusive and twice pushed my boat out of the way with his, nearly spinning me across the canal.)

I never exceed 3mph away from other boats and I've never had a complaint about my speed before. Is it just a case of bad luck and not being able to please all the people all the time? I don't mind telling you I feel a bit shaken to have had 2 confrontations in 3 days.

Edit to say, I came on this thread because I wondered if my tickover should be slower, but it seems a lot of people have faster slowest speeds than me.

Sounds like you have just been unlucky. There is always somebody looking to be offended, and they seem to be finding their way onto canals more. I

like to refer to this condition as "car driver mentality."

If it happens again, smile nicely and say "Half past two".

As for overtaking, it's not a right on canals. Call ahead and ask if he minds. Many people will pull over to the side and let you pass (better if they actually stop - overtaking even a slow moving boat takes longer than you'd think). If he won't play, just grit your teeth, drop into neutral from time to time to slow yourself down, and bear it. It won't be for ever.

The first incident sounds like the mentality of the mob to me, and in the second you just came across an idiot. Two hire boats went past me at full speed today. Although I'm on a river it was still a bit fast, but to be honest it just doesn't bother me that much. The boat moves a bit, so what? I live on a boat and it's meant to move. These idiots shouting at you have probably only had their boats since summer and they think it's cool to shout and get angry with people - they probably think that makes them "a real boater". As others have said, they want to be offended because they're looking for a cause.

Edited by blackrose

Thanks, Catweasel. The first guy definitely had that mentality, though he looked to me like a raddled old boater, rather than a newby with the wrong attitude.

Athy, I usually try to avoid overtaking. I'd much rather go a bit slower than go through the hassle. In this case, he was weaving back and forth in front of me and I initially thought he was a newby and I should stay out of the way. Then, when he slowed down more and more, I realised it was deliberate. After a while though, we came to a long, broad straight and I called out "Excuse me?" This was ignored, as were the next two "Excuse mes", so I bipped my horn quickly. At this point I got a torrent of abuse from him and his companion about going too fast. There was masses of room to overtake, and he let me initially, but when I got alongside, he steered me into the bank. My bike got damaged by trees and I got a cut to my face. All this time, they were both still shouting abuse at me. When I got past, he speeded up and put his bow against my stern to prevent me from straightening up.

Hello :)

Would you be happy to tell us where this occurred?

Its a sad indictment on the general state of the cut if people who have moored 3 abreast then proceed to moan about people going to fast past them.

I think the word "boaters" could possibly be replaced by another -ers word in your second paragraph ;)

(Edit to add i am a bit suspicious about certain behaviour)

My bike got damaged by trees and I got a cut to my face. All this time, they were both still shouting abuse at me. When I got past, he speeded up and put his bow against my stern to prevent me from straightening up.

If that's true I think you should be making reports to CRT and possibly the police about aggressive behaviour.

Thanks, Blackrose. I don't get that worked up either, unless I get slammed against the bank or a hook comes loose.

Magnetman, the moored boats were on the Trent and Mersey, between about bridges 176 and 179, I think. I contacted the main CRT email address earlier on to ask for their complaints contact, but haven't had an answer yet. If anyone knows it, that would be very useful.

Thanks, Blackrose. I don't get that worked up either, unless I get slammed against the bank or a hook comes loose.

Magnetman, the moored boats were on the Trent and Mersey, between about bridges 176 and 179, I think. I contacted the main CRT email address earlier on to ask for their complaints contact, but haven't had an answer yet. If anyone knows it, that would be very useful.

Don't know the contact details sorry, but think you definitely should report the aggressive behaviour and the deliberate ramming. Good luck.

Don't know the contact details sorry, but think you definitely should report the aggressive behaviour and the deliberate ramming. Good luck.

Thanks again, Catweasel.

I 'happened' to walk my dog past them the next day before they were awake and took a photo of their boat no., so a report is definitely on the way.

Good for you,how nasty can people get? I'd be tempted to ignore the peeps on the moored boats or go for the smile & swear under your breath approach.It's the actions of the person on the boat in front which worry me-both nasty & dangerous.Was the steerer under the influence of drink/weird substances? His behaviour doesn't sound like that of a sober/rational person.

Trina

Good for you,how nasty can people get? I'd be tempted to ignore the peeps on the moored boats or go for the smile & swear under your breath approach.It's the actions of the person on the boat in front which worry me-both nasty & dangerous.Was the steerer under the influence of drink/weird substances? His behaviour doesn't sound like that of a sober/rational person.

Trina

I mentioned to the next boat I passed going the other way that he might get shouted at. He said he'd swear at them, so I'm happy they might have got some abuse back. laugh.png

I know what you mean about the guy in front. It's such weird behaviour. Even whilst my bike was getting thrown around (luckily it was locked to the roof, cos it got thrown off the side by one branch, then slammed back on to the roof by another), they didn't stop yelling and swearing about my going too fast. Mostly the woman yelling, I think. It was hard to keep track. Then, when I was trying to turn away from them, I was shouting to them that I couldn't turn with them up against my stern and the guy was just repeating, "Off you go, then!" or something similar with more swearing. We both kept repeating the same things for ages. Eventually he backed off. I think he realised I would be sideways across the canal if he didn't and then he'd be stuck until I sorted myself out.

If it happens again, smile nicely and say "Half past two".

As for overtaking, it's not a right on canals. Call ahead and ask if he minds. Many people will pull over to the side and let you pass (better if they actually stop - overtaking even a slow moving boat takes longer than you'd think). If he won't play, just grit your teeth, drop into neutral from time to time to slow yourself down, and bear it. It won't be for ever.

Or just pull in put the kettle on. No need to deal with an aahse.

Do you really think it will do any good reporting it to CRT?

I wasn't sure, to be fair. No idea what their record is on things like this. I'd got a vauge idea they could threaten to not renew someone's licence if they kept misbehaving. I can't be the only person who's come a cropper of them. Maybe if there have been other complaints ...

Some people are just impossible. Any faster than a paddling duck and they get apoplexy. canals are supposed to be travelled on and if I was going at the sort of speed some people would think is correct I would still be halfway down the GU and it would still be 2010. Take no notice. Its what they do to feel outraged - they enjoy it.

• Greenie 1