Aerial alignment: a hint

Theo

Featured Posts

I have been using the app "UK Aerial alignment" for a few months now, but with limited success. The problem has been with the very unreliable magnetic compass in my Samsung. I have, over the past week or so, been using the same app but taking no notice of the graphic display of the aerial direction. I use the bearing and NIcholson's guide to show me the direction in which the canal is aligned (Pearson's is less good because the maps are not a good)

This has worked really well during our eastward progress along the K&A.

HTH

N

If you are having limited success with it, try another app called 'Antenna Aligner'. Available free from the app store, it uses GPS (or you can enter your current post code if you have it) and it gives a selection of the nearest TV transmitters in the area, their bearing, distance, predicted signal strength and aerial polarity. I have been using it for three years now and find it works very well.

Ken

For a modest cost (I just bought one from eBay for £15) - or more from Amazon Fringe Electronics do a combined satellite (for those who give up an unequal struggle) and 'TV'' (Freeview) signal meter. A TV one is a bit less. It beeps and gives you a range of LED indication so that you can peak the signal.

To my mind knowing what you'll actually get rather than what you should get....

I have been using the app "UK Aerial alignment" for a few months now, but with limited success. The problem has been with the very unreliable magnetic compass in my Samsung. I have, over the past week or so, been using the same app but taking no notice of the graphic display of the aerial direction. I use the bearing and NIcholson's guide to show me the direction in which the canal is aligned (Pearson's is less good because the maps are not a good)

This has worked really well during our eastward progress along the K&A.

HTH

N

I use same and find aerial jumpy. Use map view and you can zoom in and point aeriel accordinly.

I have been using the app "UK Aerial alignment" for a few months now, but with limited success. The problem has been with the very unreliable magnetic compass in my Samsung. I

N

I use the same app with similar issues. I tend to use the bearing line in satellite view and align using landmarks, canal orientation, etc. Works to an extent.

The magnetic compasses in virtually all phones & tablets are useless within about 20ft of a steel boat. If you can walk up the towpath a bit and get a fix on a distant object you may have better results.

That is what I find, I probably don't go 20ft, but if I don't get away from the boat it is inaccurate. I use the Antenna Aligner app, and it works really well one you get say 10ft from the boat.

The magnetic compasses in virtually all phones & tablets are useless within about 20ft of a steel boat. If you can walk up the towpath a bit and get a fix on a distant object you may have better results.

That's my experience also. If I use the phones compass within about 20 feet of the boat, the compass deviation is considerable.

Ken

I have been using the app "UK Aerial alignment" for a few months now, but with limited success. The problem has been with the very unreliable magnetic compass in my Samsung. I

N

I use the same app with similar issues. I tend to use the bearing line in satellite view and align using landmarks, canal orientation, etc. Works to an extent.

That,s OK if you are within the same transmitters range, that your TV is tuned to.

If you have moved out of range and the TV needs retuning, you do need to know where the new transmitter is.