Volunteer spreading the love - Gifford Park Mooring - merged topics

bigcol

Featured Posts

Last year came here, warned by steve, and Jenlyn re the special mooring officer here.

This is the stretch of tow path you can't use, although CRT don't know anything about it.

The stretch of grass tow path is no more, last year apparently poisoned, freshly dug all brown

Looks funny grass grass, then 80ft of mud. Then grass grass grass again

Anybody that comes here will see this stretch of towpath.

Today came along, and thought I moor here, as quick as 15 seconds he was having a go, at my wife and telling me that were not allowed to moor there.

Apparently he's had a canal leak,into his garden, and has been repaired, but no boats can't moor here

So come on who else has been shouted at?

Last year I saw a couple, moved on

Just tried to move us on.

Col

Ps I have moved down a bit, don't like confortation so that his happy,back in his house.

I'm waiting for the next boat to come along! Oh joy

This gentleman, with hes own canal bank, which hes poisoned the grass, this morning

Has just dug the length of bank, over, so too soft for anyone to use!!!

Then wife saw a another face appear in our window, wife had a word with the mosey sod, who's with another lady

to find out what the bloody hell he was doing.

He implied that my licence wasn't kosher,!!! Turns out his a CRT volunteer, wife had to tell him that what boat owners have to do!!

He also says that the bank IS leaking, and it was being discussed at the last CRT meeting that residents, with Neil at CRT,and local MP are hopping to stop all mooring here!!! Making it no mooring. Apparently the boating traffic is to high!!!!!

I am waiting for the guy to come back, I'm livid to be fair, how dare he imply that boat owners are forging their own licence!!!

There's according to him 2 types of boaters, shufflers and residue, what's left!

The volunteer was 60 ish, and thinking about it proberly the owner of one of these houses.

This volunteer doesn't seem to like boaters much!!

I'm still waiting for this volunteer to come back, to be fair I'm having to calm down.

Been here 2 days seeing boats not able to moor, being told I can't moor, it's these party's, running engines all night, drinking, it's boaters that are corroding the bank. Out staying for months, not paying licenses, forging, and being antisocial.

Wife is stunned, I'm stunned listening to her, and there's another name he called some boaters, residue or something like that.

Yes just paid our licence, and we feel the love!!!

Wife notified that he checked another boat this morning ( a old dutchbarge)

There was a pint glass with beer in!, on the roof!!! At 9 o'clock in the morning !!!

It's inappropriate!!!, the lady telling my wife, old boats with stuff all over the roof!!!

Edited by bigcol

I've opened up a new topic, thought I should

At Gifford park

This gentleman, with hes own 80ft canal bank, which hes poisoned the grass, this morning

Has just this morning dug the length of bank over keeping it fresh,so too soft for anyone to use!!!

Then wife saw a another face appear in our window, wife had a word with the mosey sod, who's with another lady

He implied that my licence wasn't kosher,!!! Turns out his a CRT volunteer, wife had to tell him that what boat owners have to do!!

He also says that the bank IS leaking, and it was being discussed at the last CRT meeting that residents, with Neil at CRT,and local MP are hopping to stop all mooring here!!! Making it no mooring. Apparently the boating traffic is to high!!!!!

I am waiting for the guy to come back, I'm livid to be fair, how dare he imply that boat owners are forging their own licence!!!

There's according to him 2 types of boaters, shufflers and residue, what's left!

The volunteer was 60 ish, and thinking about it proberly the owner of one of these houses.

This volunteer doesn't seem to like boaters much!!

I'm still waiting for this volunteer to come back, to be fair I'm having to calm down.

Been here 2 days seeing boats not able to moor, being told I can't moor, it's these party's, running engines all night, drinking, it's boaters that are corroding the bank. Out staying for months, not paying licenses, forging, and being antisocial.

Wife is stunned, I'm stunned listening to her, and there's another name he called some boaters, residue or something like that.

Yes just paid our licence, and we feel the love!!!

Wife notified that he checked another boat this morning ( a old dutchbarge)

There was a pint glass with beer in!, on the roof!!! At 9 o'clock in the morning !!!

It's inappropriate!!!, the lady telling my wife, old boats with stuff all over the roof!!!

Goog grief. You don't even have to be a canal,or boat lover to be a CRT volunteer

Edited by bigcol

This gentleman, with hes own 80ft canal bank, which hes poisoned the grass, this morning

Has just this morning dug the length of bank over keeping it fresh,so too soft for anyone to use!!!

Could you clarify this bit please?

If you're talking about this man owning a section of canal bank on the offside, then he can poison his own grass as long as (1) he uses a chemical which isn't banned and (2) he isn't poisoning the water. And he can dig his land over if he doesn't undermine the bank. Also I think he can probably ban anyone from mooring to it, but that might be a bit of a grey area, e.g. if CRT owned a narrow strip of bank or if you placed your boat there without putting lines ashore; all a bit off topic maybe.

What I think you meant was that he's trying to exert some influence over a section of towpath, in which case any of the above is bang out of order.

So take photos (one of him with his face at your porthole would be particularly useful), get witnesses, identify him if possible and report him to CRT, and the police too if you have evidence of him breaking the law. If it gets serious enough, harassment and intimidation is covered by the 1986 Public Order Act.

The towpath being a public place, I think you can photograph an adult there without permission, but would need permission to publish the picture (e.g. placing it on this site) if the person can be clearly identified in it? But my knowledge of this area of the law is a bit shaky; others may correct this.

All very strange. I can see you're upset about it but I'm struggling to make sense of what you've written. ^^^ This especially ^^^

Are you saying he owns 80ft of canal bank and he's digging it over? What do you mean by poisoning the grass? If he owns it I'd say he is within his rights.

Or are you saying he is digging up the towpath? Or poisoning it? With what?

How do you know he's a volunteer? Did he have his ID with him or did he just claim to be a CRT volly? He sounds more like a self-appointed busybody to me overstepping the mark...

Its either private land or CRT land. Which is it ?

Can you tell us where this is so we can Google map it ?

Title says its at Gifford Park...

I don't get the CRT volunteer thing. If people want to clean litter from the canal bank, good on them, but giving unpaid members of the public authority, even entirely notional powers, seems like a Nosy Parker's license to snoop. If boaters need help opening lock gates they're in the wrong game. So what do the volunteers actually do that ordinary boaters have thus far been unable to?

The towpath being a public place, I think you can photograph an adult there without permission, but would need permission to publish the picture (e.g. placing it on this site) if the person can be clearly identified in it? But my knowledge of this area of the law is a bit shaky; others may correct this.

Nope, you don't need permission to publish it.

The European Convention on Human Rights gives a right for a person's private life to be respected, not a right to privacy per se. And if you're producing an advert, you should usually obtain model release to avoid misrepresentation (i.e. implying an endorsement by the subject of the photo). But neither of these apply here.

I don't get the CRT volunteer thing. If people want to clean litter from the canal bank, good on them, but giving unpaid members of the public authority, even entirely notional powers, seems like a Nosy Parker's license to snoop.

My reading of the situation is that there are a lot of people out there who live near canals but regard boaters as undesirable water gypsies who should be expunged from the waterways.

Unfortunately some of these people see becoming a CRT volunteer as a way of acquiring some spurious authority with which to promote their prejudice. I have a feeling the bloke Col encountered today is a particularly unpleasant example of this.

There seems to be a trend developing where people with no knowledge of the waterways or boating are getting themselves appointed volunteers, and then trying to exert some assumed authority over boaters. There was some similarly nasty conflict at Hillmorton locks between some historic boaters returning from Braunston Festival and another of this new breed of apparently anti-boater volunteers.

I think CRT need to be on the lookout for this new type of volly with a hidden agenda.

My reading of the situation is that there are a lot of people out there who live near canals but regard boaters as undesirable water gypsies who should be expunged from the waterways.

Unfortunately some of these people see becoming a CRT volunteer as a way of acquiring some spurious authority with which to promote their prejudice. I have a feeling the bloke Col encountered today is a particularly unpleasant example of this.

There seems to be a trend developing where people with no knowledge of the waterways or boating are getting themselves appointed volunteers, and then trying to exert some assumed authority over boaters. There was some similarly nasty conflict at Hillmorton locks between some historic boaters returning from Braunston Festival and another of this new breed of apparently anti-boater volunteers.

I think CRT need to be on the lookout for this new type of volly with a hidden agenda.

I am going to have to have a lie down before I say anything that I might regret Edited by cotswoldsman

I think this topic should be merged with bigcol's earlier "Gifford Park mooring" topic on the same subject, with an appropriate combined title.

From that topic, I see he is referring to the towpath side, where bigcol says the man is digging the towpath and claiming CRT have banned mooring, but CRT know nothing about it. If this is true, people should be gathering evidence and pressing CRT to set their lawyers on the man. Some of the behaviour bigcol describes would be criminal and therefore a police matter.

Is there a CRT notice forbidding mooring there? If they've imposed a temporary restriction to protect a bank repair, I think there would be.

Hi all

Okay the 80 ft stretch IS the tow path, the guy who stops or try's to stop boats mooring his house is just on the other side of path, next to. A boat has moored there today, and has left the boat, did warn the boater. House owner obviously is out.

Have got photos but can't seem to post pics on forum. if someone can give me a email address I will email picture.

The volunteer was a different guy altogether,

Peter x has got it right on the button

Col

Col, I now see you posted about this on Thursday too. Why the new thread?

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77905#entry1612694

Edit to add, actually there are THREE threads on this!

I'll ask the mods to do a thread merge.

Hi Mike. The first thread was just re the conversation with the home owner.

Today's thread was having a nosy sod looking through my window, and implying my licence was a forgery, and letting my wife what the residents like to happen.

All the best. Col

Jenlyn showed me last year, and Steve was right, I saw this homeowner moving boats along, just like he did with me yesterday.

It's quite incredible to watch boats moving along.

Not with this one today though!

Edited by bigcol

Hi all

Okay the 80 ft stretch IS the tow path, the guy who stops or try's to stop boats mooring his house is just on the other side of path, next to. A boat has moored there today, and has left the boat, did warn the boater. House owner obviously is out.

Have got photos but can't seem to post pics on forum. if someone can give me a email address I will email picture.

The volunteer was a different guy altogether,

Peter x has got it right on the button

Col

Hi Mike. The first thread was just re the conversation with the home owner.

Today's thread was having a nosy sod looking through my window, and implying my licence was a forgery, and letting my wife what the residents like to happen.

All the best. Col

Jenlyn showed me last year, and Steve was right, I saw this homeowner moving boats along, just like he did with me yesterday.

It's quite incredible to watch boats moving along.

Not with this one today though!

Ah I see. So there are two separate problems then?

1) The bloke in the house who digs up the towpath and instructs moored boats to move on, and...

2) A CRT volunteer who suggested your licence was forged, and who also says no mooring allowed there as the bank leaks.

Ah I see. So there are two separate problems then?

1) The bloke in the house who digs up the towpath and instructs moored boats to move on, and...

2) A CRT volunteer who suggested your licence was forged, and who also says no mooring allowed there as the bank leaks.

Spot on Mike. I have got photos of the towpath dug up stretch, I've also go a google maps picture of where I am exactly, if of interest I could send photos to a email address?

Many thanks

Col

Edited by bigcol