Volunteer spreading the love - Gifford Park Mooring - merged topics

bigcol

Featured Posts

We were there last year and watched him dig the soil out from under his hedge and then heap it onto the grass verge next to the canal . I did ask him what he was doing but got no reply. I believe it's a case of he wants no boats moored outside of his property.

The Gifford park pub here does nice meals,

good service and affordable sensible prices.

Lovely day, after a excellent lunch, and I'm smiling chilled out, nice boatyard neighbors

Col

Is there armco (lack of proper term MtB) along that stretch Col?

I think the term you are possibly searching for is 'piling'. Vertical interlocking columns of steel driven into the ground to create a firm steel edge (Also known as 'campshedding' darn sarf.) Usually, but not always, finished off with a horizontal rail called Armco that boaters can put the goat chains around.

Armco is a trade name I believe, and is widely used as the central crash barrier on motorways and at motor racing circuits.

:)

Could be a good spot for a BBQ banter.

Yes!!

And we could ask the bloke if we could plug a shoreline into his house to run the music system...

• Greenie 2

CRT are very particular about spraying weed killer on any of their property be it water side or not. This is obviously more relevant against the canal edge. The gentleman would not only need their permission but would have to prove that he had all the necessary qualifications and full equipment. I would gamble that he has not got their permission or that they are aware of what he has been doing it. I would contact South East waterways direct. A good starting point would be Lee King - lee.king@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Ah I see. So there are two separate problems then?

1) The bloke in the house who digs up the towpath and instructs moored boats to move on, and...

2) A CRT volunteer who suggested your licence was forged, and who also says no mooring allowed there as the bank leaks.

..............and the man to contact is Lee King, how very appropriate !

Now he has dug it over for you, bung in some sticks and tell him you've planted a few beans and will be there till they come up, although you might have to call an ambulance if he starts foaming at the mouth!

The use of weed killer concerning with environmental impact on water and if its not his land he has no right to destroy habitation with out permission. Grass stabilises banks. What a plonker. He has choices..if he don't want batters mooring where they are allowed to he could move.

With all the hedge it must be hard for him to see the boats. Seems to be just north of the service point. I`m guessing he has had a lot of boats mooring there with engine running and Smokey fires. It usually is a busy spot and I guess he has had confrontations with boaters in past.

Maybe he rents from local authority and was allocated the home. If he purchased or rented privately then he has only himself to blame providing of course boats are not running engines after 8pm.

Be interesting to invite him aboard or into the well deck for a cuppa and a chat to find out what troubles him.

Man buys house in country village and complains about church bells wringing.

Man buys house next to railway and complains bout train noise.

Man buys house next to farm and complains about countryside 'aromas'

Man buys house next to canal and discovers there are boats moored on it.

Much the same.

If he purchased or rented privately then he has only himself to blame providing of course boats are not running engines after 8pm.

The same rule that says not to run engines after 8pm, also says not to run engines or generators at all if near houses.

"If you are moored close to houses, avoid running the generator or engine when stationary and be responsive to neighbours' requests for peace and quiet."

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/navigating-the-waterways/considerate-boating

The same rule that says not to run engines after 8pm, also says not to run engines or generators at all if near houses.

"If you are moored close to houses, avoid running the generator or engine when stationary and be responsive to neighbours' requests for peace and quiet."

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/navigating-the-waterways/considerate-boating

That however is not a 'rule'. It is a request. If it was a rule it would say something like 'you are not permitted to.....'

Man buys house in country village and complains about church bells wringing.

Man buys house next to railway and complains bout train noise.

Man buys house next to farm and complains about countryside 'aromas'

Man buys house next to canal and discovers there are boats moored on it.

Much the same.

+ man buys house under Airport flight path a complains about aircraft noise

Man buys property that backs up to motor racing circuit ( Donnington Park) & complains about car & motor bike noise, + East Midlands air port some quarter mile away but he didn't moan about that noise,as in most of the cases the thing that the complaint is about was there before they bought the property. The mind boggles.

Edited by X Alan W

That however is not a 'rule'. It is a request. If it was a rule it would say something like 'you are not permitted to.....'

In which case :

"Please don’t use electricity generators, including the boat's engine between 8pm and 8am unless you are moored completely out of earshot of other people."

is just a request, as both "please don't" and "avoid" are equally wishy washy, and the use of "please" makes it merely polite request.

Whichever way, they're either both rules or both just requests.

Edited by abraxus

In which case :

"Please don’t use electricity generators, including the boat's engine between 8pm and 8am unless you are moored completely out of earshot of other people."

is just a request, as both "please don't" and "avoid" are equally wishy washy, and the use of "please" makes it merely polite request.

Whichever way, they're either both rules or both just requests.

Interesting. I thought the no generators 8am to 8pm thing was a condtion of the license agreement, but I can't see it there having checked. The nearest I can see is:

7.5. You must not do (or carelessly fail to do) anything which will cause damage or nuisance to us or any

person or their property. You accept responsibility for any such damage or nuisance caused by you,

other occupants of the Boat or your visitors. You will not be responsible for events that are outside your

control.

Which pretty much nails it just the same. We are no allowed to cause a nuisance to any other person or their propoetry.