Pool stock Leigh branch

gaggle

Featured Posts

Whatever happened to their lightweight aluminium adjustable stop planks that were announced a few years ago?

I find it strange that they don't have stop planks in readiness for all situations.

Nine CRT people turned up yesterday and let waiting boats through the lock so delay was only hours , further to this I met a security guard outside wigan ground at the lock who helped me through the lock , he stated he was there for next six weeks to help prevent the pounds being emptied maliciously.

Update on 23/07/2015:

Please be advised that we are still awaiting the delivery of stop planks in order to start the repair works.

We will continue to assist customers through Lock 1 between 10:00 am and 11:00 am daily.

a further update will be give on Friday 25th July 2015

Went through this morning OK but just received this update:

Works will commence on site tomorrow including instillation [sic] of stop planks to repair the ground paddle, works will continue over the weekend and an update will be issued on Monday 27th July

Notice Alert

Leigh Branch (Leeds & Liverpool Canal)
Starts At: Lock 1, Top Lock, Leigh Branch
Ends At: Lock 1, Top Lock, Leigh Branch

Monday 20 July 2015 08:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Repair

Original message:

Works will commence on site tomorrow including instillation of stop planks to repair the ground paddle, works will continue over the weekend and an update will be issued on Monday 27th July

Update on 20/07/2015:

Further to the notice earlier today, our teams have been investigating the issues on site.

We are awaiting the delivery of new stop planks before commencing works.

Our customer operations team will be assisting boaters through the area between 10am and 11am tomorrow and Wednesday.

An update on the works will be issued on Wednesday 22 July.

Original message:

Please be advised that due to further damage of the towpath ground paddle and steam it has been necessary to close this lock to preserve the water resources in the area.

The lock paddle is suffering significant leakage and needs to be replaced.

Our construction team will be on site to design and fabricate the necessary part needed in order to open navigation again.

An update will be issued tomorrow.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/4143/lock-1-top-lock-leigh-branch

I don't feel quite so bad now about extending my stay on the Lancaster!

Update on 27/07/2015:

Further to the update of 20 July 2015, the stop planks were installed but it’s not been possible to achieve a good seal with the cill to reduce the water level to allow the repairs to the paddle to be completed. A temporary dam has been ordered which will be installed this week, then the repair works to the paddle can be completed.

An update will be issued tomorrow (28 July 2015) at this stage we expect that the works required will be completed on Friday and the lock will reopen on Saturday.

Cheers

Gareth

• 3 weeks later...

And the lock suffered boat damage again on Sunday meaning the lock fills as fast as its emptying. Thye let us the last boat through around 2pm saying it was being locked ufn or at least until new gates were fitted. Not seen an official stoppage though.

NUG poster just reported a stoppage on Leigh branch im off to crt site to check

Notice is low water levels due to weeds clogging up the feeder ?

These levels have been dropping for about 10 days now and have only just been noticed ?

Edited by b0atman

Notice Alert

Leigh Branch (Leeds & Liverpool Canal)

Starts At: Bridge 1, Aireys Footbridge

Ends At: Bridge 10, A572 Road Bridge

Wednesday 12 August 2015 until further notice

Type: Advice

Reason: Water resources

Original message:

Please be advised that we are currently experiencing lower than normal water levels on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal from Blackburn and Chorley though to Wigan and on the Leigh Branch due to weed growth of the feeder for the canal. Our teams are monitoring the situation and have been undertaking daily weed clearance.

As a boater theres some simple rules you can follow to help us conserve water. We call it the THRIFT Code:

Two in a Lock? - Share Locks

Help keep it in Make sure Gates and Paddles are shut

Report any leaks Tell us

Invite oncoming boats through Dont Empty of Fill Locks if someone else can make use of the water

Think ahead Plan cruises to minimise use of Locks

Well they best get it fixed by the time the stoppage is off at Rufford.....I won't be happy to do the L & L to get home!

I haven't had a stoppage notice if it is shut.....any updates most welcome!

Cheers

Gareth

I think the notice refers to the stoppage at the end of July; we will find out tomorrow when we attempt to get up the Wigan Flight.

Edited by Derek Porteous

I think the notice refers to the stoppage at the end of July; we will find out tomorrow when we attempt to get up the Wigan Flight.

Good luck!

Let us know the situation......nothing is for certain in the North West this summer!

Cheers

Gareth