I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) on your mobile phone.

Chop!

Featured Posts

For the princely sum of £1.27 I installed ICE on my Android phone (also available for i-thingys)

This could save your life, especially if you single-handling, in the event of an accident, first responders can access your chosen details without unlocking your phone, next of kin, allergies, medical history etc. You can also press an SOS button which will auto phone emergency services giving your map co-ordinates. It's a small price to pay and there is no annual fee.

Don't get the free versions which are very limited in their usefulness.

Stay safe and happy people ;0)

Umm, don't want to be a wet blanket and all that, but what does it actually do? If it dials 999, it gets through to the BT operator who will ask 'Which service do you require' before transferring the call. Silent mobile calls won't necessarily get a response.

in addition (I have an iPhone), I have modified the lock/home page image on my phone to include 'ICE' and the relevant telephone number, accepting this does not allow them to call using the phone

I've had ICE saved as a contact from before I had a lock on my phone, forgot it couldn't now be accessed, useful app. What does it do.....allows emergency services access to a contact number and details for if you colloppse or are involved in an accident In Case of Emergency

It's no good having contacts saved as ICE if your phone is locked & you're unconcious, this app displays an emergency logo that can be tapped to open vital medical info and who they should contact.I've never had to use it in anger yet luckily

It's no good having contacts saved as ICE if your phone is locked & you're unconcious, this app displays an emergency logo that can be tapped to open vital medical info and who they should contact.I've never had to use it in anger yet luckily

Sounds a good app. On Wednesday Stan collapsed on the back of my boat I thought his day had come as I could get no response. I called an ambulance and thankfully during the 5 mins it the ambulance to arrive he came round a bit but as we say was out of it. The first question the ambulance people asked me was "is he on any medication" now I know he he has a number of pills he takes everyday but did not have a clue what, and he did not even know where he was never mind what pills he takes. Had he had this on his phone I could have just given that to the ambulance people.

He is now back and it was a mixture of heat exaustion (well he had done 6 locks) and his high blood pressure and the fact that he had not had anything to eat that morning that caused the collapse. Time for me to start claiming Carers Allowance :)

Chop! Is spot on, my 15 month old daughter loves to prod and poke at my phone, it used to be unlocked by swiping the screen, she can manage this no bother leading to rouge calls and the worry of her using my eBay app!

I have since had to put a pin lock on the phone to stop her doing this, hopefully she won't suss the pin too soon!

This app sounds quite useful, especially when you consider my phone is inoperable by anyone but me at present. Storing ICE contact in your phone book is all very well, not a lot of good if it can't be accessed!

The non-technical solution would be to put a label on the back of the phone or a card in a wallet or handbag.

Or have a credit card sized card with the ICE details on it that you keep with your cards. Laminate it to keep it waterproof. Phones rely on batteries and don't work if they get wet and as boaters we have an increased risk of this.

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

Are you sure it sends map co-ordinates?

That will only work if the GPS is active on the phone and many don't have that permanently on.

I am also concerned about the auto call to the Emergency Services and would like to know exactly how that works. As said, an silent call will (and does) cause problems to them.

Are you sure it sends map co-ordinates?

That will only work if the GPS is active on the phone and many don't have that permanently on.

I am also concerned about the auto call to the Emergency Services and would like to know exactly how that works. As said, an silent call will (and does) cause problems to them.

When I called the ambulance on Tuesday I was really impressed as they knew exactly where I was. I think GPS does work most of the time as there is an app so that parents can check children's location 24/7

Sounds a good app. On Wednesday Stan collapsed on the back of my boat I thought his day had come as I could get no response. I called an ambulance and thankfully during the 5 mins it the ambulance to arrive he came round a bit but as we say was out of it. The first question the ambulance people asked me was "is he on any medication" now I know he he has a number of pills he takes everyday but did not have a clue what, and he did not even know where he was never mind what pills he takes. Had he had this on his phone I could have just given that to the ambulance people.

He is now back and it was a mixture of heat exaustion (well he had done 6 locks) and his high blood pressure and the fact that he had not had anything to eat that morning that caused the collapse. Time for me to start claiming Carers Allowance smile.png

Just remembered - Something that is useful for people who take medication (although it will only be of assistance if they have a medical emergency when they are at home)

You can get plastic tub from pharmacies that contains a sheet of paper for you to list the details of any medical information or medication you are taking. Once completed the tub is stored in the door of your fridge and it comes with a sticker you can place in a window near the front door that is recognised by emergency services. If you are found collapsed at home they will know to look in the door of your fridge for vital medical information if they see the sticker. This could work for people who live (or spend time) on board a boat too. Although Stan was not on his own boat at the time if the information had been recorded and stored in the plastic tub in his fridge door then you could probably have accessed it easily when the emergency services asked for it.

I just save my in case of emergency contact details in the normal contact list of my phone, giving the name as ICE

That costs nothing

Also, although I've never tried it, if I were to use the lock screen function on my Samsung S4 Mini, it allows emergency calls only if you don't key in the password to unlock it. Apparently you can preset some ICE numbers into that too, so you or anyone finding you hurt can not only call 999 from your phone but also a family member

I shell out twenty something squids a year for MedicAlert. You get a laminated card to go in your wallet with an emergency number plus details of your meds, chronic conditions and allergies, next of kin with address and phone and GP with address and phone. In addition, you buy one of a choice of bracelets or dog tags with the emergency number, details of chronic conds and your ID number. Emergency personnel calling that number will be given a potted med history plus all the stuff that's on the card.

My Nokia N8 doesn't have the GPS on all the time, neither does my wife's Samsung.

All phones can be found using triangulation from the cell masts. Each mast receives the phone at a didfferent strength that strength equates to a distance from the mast. Draw a circle round each mast that is receiving your phone equating to strength and with 3 masts you will be left with a triangle where they overlap, that is your location. All done autolmatically not 100% accurate but usually within 50 metres.

If GPS is on its that much easier.

All phones can be found using triangulation from the cell masts. Each mast receives the phone at a didfferent strength that strength equates to a distance from the mast. Draw a circle round each mast that is receiving your phone equating to strength and with 3 masts you will be left with a triangle where they overlap, that is your location. All done autolmatically not 100% accurate but usually within 50 metres.

If GPS is on its that much easier.

But that isn't done automatically and has to be requested from the service provider, which can take a while, and the accuracy varies depending on the size of the cell and the number of masts in use; for example, the bigger the cell the less accurate it is, and there are plenty of cells that use less than 3 masts.

This information was provided to our voluntary organisation from the mobile phone companies.