Railings for Marple aqueduct - whats next?

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

• 7 months later...
18 minutes ago, DHutch said:

So where are we up to on this?

Seems to have gone all quiet?

Daniel

The planning application to install the railings was awarded in July

http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/PlanningData-live/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=OPF953PJHF700

The planning committe report makes interesting reading:

http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/PlanningData-live/files/1A7D8C18E90F0241E64C3DC8EC2F717C/pdf/DC_065684-MAC_UPDATE-327696.pdf

Tim

26 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Document Unavailable

This document is unavailable for viewing at this time.

• 2 months later...

From this link......

The new parapet railing was designed with the historic significance of the Aqueduct in mind, and rather than applying something ‘off-the-shelf’, a bespoke solution was required. In close collaboration with Knight Architects, we based our design on the loop pattern of ‘cotton weaving’, which acknowledges Samuel Oldknow’s historic Mellor cotton mill in Marple and the use of the Peak Forest Canal for transporting the cotton he produced.

Each vertical rail is ‘woven’ between the two low-level rails and the top rail, as a single self-intersecting ‘thread’. These vertical elements form the ‘warp’, and the horizontal rails form the ‘weft’. This design was very well received, and gained wide-ranging praise from the many stakeholders involved in the project. Both Scheduled Monument Consent from Historic England and Planning Permission from Stockport Council were granted in June 2017.

Sorry but they just look pig ugly to me.......

34996.jpg?v=01fb84

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

From this link......

The new parapet railing was designed with the historic significance of the Aqueduct in mind, and rather than applying something ‘off-the-shelf’, a bespoke solution was required. In close collaboration with Knight Architects, we based our design on the loop pattern of ‘cotton weaving’, which acknowledges Samuel Oldknow’s historic Mellor cotton mill in Marple and the use of the Peak Forest Canal for transporting the cotton he produced.

Each vertical rail is ‘woven’ between the two low-level rails and the top rail, as a single self-intersecting ‘thread’. These vertical elements form the ‘warp’, and the horizontal rails form the ‘weft’. This design was very well received, and gained wide-ranging praise from the many stakeholders involved in the project. Both Scheduled Monument Consent from Historic England and Planning Permission from Stockport Council were granted in June 2017.

34996.jpg?v=01fb84

Looks like some form of weird broken bicycle rack.

15 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

From this link......

34996.jpg?v=01fb84

Describing them as pig ugly is an understatement. Probably designed by a numpty similar to the one, who thought carving nonsensical phrases into lock beams was a good idea.

Describing them as pig ugly is unfair on pigs. The phrase is pug ugly based on little dogs with squashed faces that can’t breathe. 

How much did Knight Architects charge for their input? £1 would’ve over the top. 

7 hours ago, MHS said:

Describing them as pig ugly is unfair on pigs. The phrase is pug ugly based on little dogs with squashed faces that can’t breathe. 

That in turn is being unfair to pugs.   Up here in the frozen north it has been plug ugly all my life.   i was given to understand the term arose from a gang of american trouble makers who wore "plug" hats.

I have also heard it suggested pug ugly is from bare knuckle boxers known as pugs.

24 minutes ago, Jerra said:

That in turn is being unfair to pugs.   Up here in the frozen north it has been plug ugly all my life.   i was given to understand the term arose from a gang of american trouble makers who wore "plug" hats.

I have also heard it suggested pug ugly is from bare knuckle boxers known as pugs.

From the word pugalism I believe. The boxers were pugalists or pugs for short.

Edited by Ray T

26 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I always thought it was from this guy

de9934e55620dedc34cce820fec1bb29932a4255

• Greenie 1