Railings for Marple aqueduct - whats next?

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

In a language as rich in homophones as English, it's important that a writer uses the correct word to avoid misunderstandings. However...

tongue.png I've had a reply from SMBC (Paul Hartley) who tells me that Scheduled Monument Consent is a matter for English Heritage Northwest:

https://historicengland.org.uk/advice/planning/consents/smc/is

and is not dealt with by the LPA. THat's not what the SMBC web site says, but never mind.

I can't find a "search planning applications" facility on the EH site, but perhaps others have more patience!

ETA: the link worked for me but now it won't. The historicengland.org.uk bit works, though.

I think it's because when you clink on the link it puts http:// at the front of the address, also the colon disappears from the https://

Anth

Yes, ta.

No on-line application search, though, so I've emailed them.

Bough bow, through threw, they're their there, cough off...

How does any foreigner ever learn our mongrel language?

"Cough" and "off" aren't homophones either (beat you, Mac)

"Cough" and "off" aren't homophones either (beat you, Mac)

No I know, while I was on a roll I thought I'd show how ough can sometimes be pronounced off.

Other times it can be pronounced ow and at other times ooo!

I've just had an email from English Heritage to say my enquiry about the Scheduled Monument consent has been passed to the North East England planning team. No, that is not a mistype on my part.

I have suggested she sends it to the North West England team as well, though.

That's helpful....thanks for keeping us posted....you have certainly got further than I managed!

Gareth

Looking at old photos of the aqueduct and descriptions of wallS collapsing when it suffered frost damage prior to its initial salvation, I'm wondering if there were originally walls on both sides. Historic photos can be found online.

If so, then (re)building an offside wall would be proper restoration.

Looking at old photos of the aqueduct and descriptions of wallS collapsing when it suffered frost damage prior to its initial salvation, I'm wondering if there were originally walls on both sides. Historic photos can be found online.

If so, then (re)building an offside wall would be proper restoration.

Possible, although it's much narrower than the towpath side

Dundas and Avoncliffe have walls on both sides, but they also have a footpath on both sides (As I think does the Engine Arm, BCN)

Possible, although it's much narrower than the towpath side

Dundas and Avoncliffe have walls on both sides, but they also have a footpath on both sides (As I think does the Engine Arm, BCN)

Engine Arm: yes, but only the eastern side is currently open for use. Not sure what the other side was ever used for as it would lead onto private land, but is now blocked off.

Engine Arm: yes, but only the eastern side is currently open for use. Not sure what the other side was ever used for as it would lead onto private land, but is now blocked off.

It leads to the Council yard and is only blocked by a gate. When the BCNS held the bonfire rallies there it would be opened as they set the bar, etc up in the yard.

I imagine in the days when the Council used horse pulled maintenance boats then they accessed the main line from this side.

I've only just come across this conversation. For reference, my default position is that pointless safety interventions should be avoided, ancient monuments should be respected, but I am also scared of heights, suffer some vertigo, and am very clumsy!

Anyway, I looked up some recent photos and a Youtube video of Marple Aqueduct and was pretty taken aback that there was no clear indication that you should not get off the boat on the off-side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbZ2xSbiNg0

Looks like a substantial towpath on both sides to me! The notice and fence/gate at the start and end of the aqueduct should stop pedestrians, but if the boater misses that he/she has no way of knowing. I showed my wife the video and asked which side she thought she could get off (she is risk-averse) and she confidently said "Both!".

If, as seems to be commonly agreed, no-one should be on that side of the aqueduct, then some use of colour, texture, painted symbols (or as my wife suggested, plants) should back this up, while avoiding a trip hazard. Maybe the simple phrase "Do not get off here" could be painted on the edge...

Anyway, I looked up some recent photos and a Youtube video of Marple Aqueduct and was pretty taken aback that there was no clear indication that you should not get off the boat on the off-side.

Having looked at the video and not being scared of heights I wouldn't need a notice telling me not to get off common sense and self preservation would do the job.