Aqua Vac from Generator

Terence

Featured Posts

Hi All.

Bit of help needed here. I have a 1000w Karcher Multipurpose Vac. A max 1000w Generator (Clarke). The Genni trips when Vac is turned on. I dont know what the initial power surge from the vac is, but it is this that trips the genni. I'm looking to buy a larger Generator. Problem is at what size? would a 2.8kw Genni cope or do i have to go even higher (this becomes a cost problem now). Has anyone used an aqua vac from a generator?

Many thanks in advance.

Terence

This is not a lot of help but apart from the starting surge you need to consider the power factors of the equipment in use. I suspect many so called 1kW generators can only supply about 750 watts when the power factor is taken into account.

I would say, yes, 2.8kW should do the job although I am somewhat suspicious of the power ratings given by what might be described as budget brands.

I reckon it is the initial surge that is the problem. We have the same problem with our hoover if run at full power on our small (1KVA) generator but can get around it as the hoover's power requirement can be adjusted. Bet a 2.8 genie will be heavy - our 3kva is very difficult to man-handle on and off the boat.

Edited by Traveller

I've found a trick that sometimes gets around the problem of an electric motor with a starting surge that trips a genny.

Leave the appliance turned ON after it has stalled or tripped the genny, then pull the start cord on the genny with it still turned ON. This sometimes works a treat, as the voltage from the genny ramps up slowly so the start surge is not so great.

I doubt this would work with an inverter genny!