Can anyone identify the location of this painting

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

A friend of mine owns a painting given to the family a few years ago and is keen to know where the scene is, can anyone identify the location?

The boats name is; Scorpio, Liverpool and artist signature is L. Burton '75.

IMG_4196-L.jpg

Thanks

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

The artist has taken his viewpoint from the top of the tow path bridge (Junction Bridge) at Lathom at the start of the Rufford Branch. The pub, The Ship on the very far right also known locally as The Blood Tub. If you brought in a jug of blood you could exchange it for beer. The pub isn't shown in the painting.

Yes I would say top of Rufford Branch

The artist has taken his viewpoint from the top of the tow path bridge (Junction Bridge) at Lathom at the start of the Rufford Branch. The pub, The Ship on the very far right also known locally as The Blood Tub. If you brought in a jug of blood you could exchange it for beer. The pub isn't shown in the painting.

Might be handy just to mention it was Pigs blood they were after :)

Its a very nice picture - I really like the white portholes on the cruisers - not that you see boats like that but its a nice effect :)

The red one looks like a Bedford Rascal. Prolly isn't though!

No its a Daihatsu Hi-Jet :rolleyes:

To be fair it might be one of those as the picture is dated 1975 in the OP :) so not that old really.

Edit remove a

Edited by magnetman

I looked through some old pictures I have on the boat. They are dated 1973. Unfortunately the originals are on my home computer.

DSC_0041_zpshhzhgskv.jpg

DSC_0042_zpspiztbcyd.jpg.

The boat with the distinctive white tyres is an interesting one.

Ah !

They are tyres. I was thinking portholes as I have just put some below the side decks on my barge and equated them with the white rings on the cruisers :rolleyes:

Obviously tyres yes thanks for pointing that out - I have porthole vision at the moment :lol:

I wonder if the red and white boat in the painting might be one of the converted lifeboats? They are quite pointed at both bow and stern and they have sturdy lifting shackle bases. There are still a couple of these boats in use in this area and the Bridgewater.

It is the drydock at the top of the Rufford branch, and it is probably me in the white shirt, with Philip Watkinson on the stern. Scorpio was moored at Crabtree Lane in 1975, and I did put both Scorpio and George on dock there to try to stop them from leaking quite so badly.