jig saw blades reccommendations

Featured Posts

I have used Bosch on more than one occasion to cut hole for door vents, hole for a flue and also a hole for a "flying saucer" vent , all done with the same blade and no hole taking more than about 15 mins to cut, just run slow, lubricate and take your time ie dont rush it.

Phil

I have used Bosch on more than one occasion to cut hole for door vents, hole for a flue and also a hole for a "flying saucer" vent , all done with the same blade and no hole taking more than about 15 mins to cut, just run slow, lubricate and take your time ie dont rush it.

Phil

Says it all.

In fact that just about covers most things in life really.

As per Phil. Bosch may not be the cheapest but they are value for money in the long run.

Again, as per Phil, take your time and don't let the blade get too hot.

If they get too hot then any blade will become brittle.

I would buy blades specifically for metal.

NB. Make sure that your jig say can take the blade. Some will only take their own blades.

I need some metal cutting jig saw blades for steel ~ 3mm thick.

Any reccommendations from the Screwfix range of Bosch, Erbauer, Titan or Evolution ?

Does anyone think multi-purpose are better than those labelled as metal ?

Thx

Out of the 4 you've listed, Titan Erbauer and Evolution are "budget" brands in order of cheapness --> quality. Bosch are more respected but do a wide range of stuff, so its quite possible there's a choice of quality too, with different 'models' within their range. No doubt there will be evocative names and a lot of marketing bluff masking the actual qualiy, but price is normally a good indicator.

Don't they do DeWalt too?

you would be better using 1mm angle grinder discs made for metal, thats if the area is accessable makes you realise how unsafe padlocks are when you usde them.

How do you cut a circular hole, say for a mushroom vent, with an angle grinder disc?

I was recommend Bosch progressor blades for cutting metal from my Norton Canes colleagues. They made the job easy. My 20 odd year old Bosch professional jigsaw would certainly be one of my 8 Desert Island Tools!

Cheers

Dave

How do you cut a circular hole, say for a mushroom vent, with an angle grinder disc?

I don't think circular holes were specifically mentioned by the OP although others did mention them. For holes which are quite a tight radius, ruling out an angle grinder, but bigger than can be handled with hole saws, a jigsaw is better. I've found that jigsaws are terrible for straight lines, even if its the kind where it can follow a guide, and for this kind of cut prefer a circular saw. Angle grinder is fine when non-accurate cuts are needed, eg car bodywork stuff or demolition etc.

you would be better using 1mm angle grinder discs made for metal, thats if the area is accessable makes you realise how unsafe padlocks are when you usde them.

Thanks all for the replies.

I had considered slitting discs, but the mess ..........

I cut a 17 inch diameter hole in my 5mm cabin top to fit an opening hatch a few days ago. I used Dewalt blades (DT2191) from eBay - not 100% sure of they are real dewalt ones but they munched through nicely. I also did a 7 inch hole in 6mm plate with same blades a couple of weeks ago.

£2 for 5 of them. I used two on the hole..could have just used the one but I pushed it a bit and it slowed down. They are bayonet fitting - i used a Makita 240 jigsaw. Definitely worth having a decent machine as cutting steel is quite hard work !

Rocol RTD cutting compound or CT90.

For 3mm I suppose more teeth per inch may be better not too sure as there is no 3mm on my boat.

Blades I used

Same seller has 100 for about £20 if you intend to lengthen the boat as well :lol:

Http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161708624207

With skill and experience my dear boy.

How do you drill a square hole? Answers on a postcard please. First correct answer win's a lollipop.

Can be done but I am not at all sure its any better than a jigsaw anyway. Jigsaw blade breaks oh dear. Disc flies apart could be more serious and unless there is a massive hurry it seems a bit pointless :unsure:

I meant the round hole with slitting disc not the square hole with a drill.

I would go along with all of the above comments.

If you have an angle griding I must say that with a cutting disk are bloody good a disking up steel, there is a bit more a radius of griding, and it may be that being a steamboat we have a higher tolerance of whats acceptable mess for inside a boat, but in terms of cost-per-cut you wont touch it with an jigsaw, and as Paul said they are much better at staying straight.

That said, jigsaws also work and do internal curves (sub 6 radius) much better, Rocol appears to be the industry standard cutting fluid.

Daniel

Pretty much any oil will perform as a cutting fluid. the lighter the better. 3-In-1 is good, engine oil a little less good but still effective. The main function of the cutting fluid is carrying heat away from the blade. It can't ever be present at the actual point of the cut.

Even copious quantities of WD40 works reasonably well if nothing else is available.

When I was an apprentice, ISTR the cutting fluid looked like oil when drawn from the barrel but had to be mixed with water to bulk it up ready for use. At this point it changed to a milky white colour.

With skill and experience my dear boy.

How do you drill a square hole? Answers on a postcard please. First correct answer win's a lollipop.

Drilling a square hole is easy with a square drill. Very common in machine tool shops these days. See link .Now where's my lollypop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALiqAXiTQBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjckF0-VeGI

Edited by Flyboy

Pretty much any oil will perform as a cutting fluid. the lighter the better. 3-In-1 is good, engine oil a little less good but still effective. The main function of the cutting fluid is carrying heat away from the blade. It can't ever be present at the actual point of the cut.

Even copious quantities of WD40 works reasonably well if nothing else is available.

When I was an apprentice, ISTR the cutting fluid looked like oil when drawn from the barrel but had to be mixed with water to bulk it up ready for use. At this point it changed to a milky white colour.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATER-MIX-MILKY-SOLUBLE-SUDS-OIL-CUTTING-OIL-5-LTR-FOR-TURNING-MILLING-ETC-/350508970204

Still available i believe the generic name is soluble oil