jig saw blades reccommendations

Featured Posts

Drilling a square hole is easy with a square drill. Very common in machine tool shops these days. See link .Now where's my lollypop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALiqAXiTQBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjckF0-VeGI

Wrong my dear chap. No such thing as a square drill. You can use an articulated cutting bit. But there's a much easier solution. Still no lollipop.

Wrong my dear chap. No such thing as a square drill. You can use an articulated cutting bit. But there's a much easier solution. Still no lollipop.

I can only think of rotary broaching, which is another form of articulated cutting bit, or simple broaching, which is scarcely drilling.

Come on, spill the beans.

Tim

I can only think of rotary broaching, which is another form of articulated cutting bit, or simple broaching, which is scarcely drilling.

Come on, spill the beans.

Tim

Broaching? Nope.

Rotary broaching? With the right cutting bit!

There is however a much easier way.

Broaching? Nope.

Rotary broaching? With the right cutting bit!

There is however a much easier way.

Why not come clean & share your superior knowledge to inform us lesser morsels this 'much easier way'.

Why not come clean & share your superior knowledge to inform us lesser morsels this 'much easier way'.

Maybe Mutts has been offered a lollipop by someone asking him/her how to do it and thought that by asking on this forum full of knowledge the answer would be forthcoming wink.png

Been over to AZ, US of A and back in the last few day's, and no one has come up with the answer. So sorry no candy for you.

The answer is (and I have seen it done many summers ago), you get a thin'ish piece of ali about 70 or 80 thou' thick (2mm approx) and drill a hole. You next get a triangular file that will just fit inside the hole, and secure it in the jaws of a bench press, milling machine or lathe (but a slightly different set up}. Place the ali on the M/C bed and bring the file down through the work piece (hole) between the clamping slots in the M/C bed. Press go and let the ali start to rotate around the file as it spins. Leave running for a few hours or over night and hey presto a square hole is created. No need for an articulated head, because in effect the work piece has become articulated.

Sort of things apprentices used to mess around with.