Perkins P3 cylinder

Featured Posts

Engine is running fine, I've had the filters changed, and a new belt fitted, however it's not been fully serviced for well over a year now and I'm planning trip beyond Foxton locks and back to my home moorings in Kegworth this week coming, however I know this might be a long shot but does anyone have any ideas where my gearbox oil is located? I haven't got the foggiest, I know how to check oil, water and diesel, grease the stern tube etc but have no idea where it's located....

Thanks in advance

"Does anyone have any ideas where my gearbox oil is located?"

What about inside the gearbox! There should be a plug at the bottom. It should be underneath or on the side. It cannot be that hard to find.

Telling us the engine maker, but nothing about the gearbox, means people can only give generic advice.

What about giving some identification of gearbox manufacturer and type, (does it have an identification plate on it), oir even a picture.

Start the engine and follow the noise inside the boat. You may need to lift up floor boards or open doors, but when you find it loudest you will be looking at a big lump of metal with pulleys and belts whizzing round at the front and another smaller lump of metal (possibly painted different colour) bolted to it at the back. That will be the gearbox. Switch engine off and start examining the very bottom of newly aquainted gearbox for drain plugs, to allow old oil to be emptied out into suitable container - maybe a couple of litres. Good idea since by implication this would never have been done before.

Your (fresh) gearbox oil will be in a plastic container typically 5 litres, and depending on gearbox model may be the same as used in engine. Can offer no specific advice on where this may be stowed, assuming you have some, but typically nearby the engine.

On top of gearbox there will be a filler plug usually with a dipstick attached. After replacing drain plug and washer, refill with fresh oil to mark on dipstick. Hope this helps unsure.png

A P3, (not a modern engine), could have just about anything. I had one with a Parsons manual box, but a PRM might be equally possible. Two very different beasts, so, as I said earlier, to give sane advice, we would need to know more, I think.

"Does anyone have any ideas where my gearbox oil is located?"

What about inside the gearbox! There should be a plug at the bottom. It should be underneath or on the side. It cannot be that hard to find.

I have no idea, I'm not a mechinac, hence why I asked.....underneath or on the side side of what? And don't say Engine I can clearly see that..was clearly a long shot in asking advice in the first place not knowing...

Thank you for help and advice so far

But you are enough of a mechinac to be planning to check or change the gearbox oil presumably, or you wouldn't have asked the question!

My we assume you have identified and found your gearbox? If so, post a photo of it please.

Roxy,

The gearbox is attached to the back of the engine. The top of it will be at a lower level than the top of the engine, so you should be able to find it.

As has been said, many different gearboxes could have been fitted to your P3, so we really need to know what you have got. There is probably a plate with a model number attached somewhere on the gearbox, and the manufacturer's name may be cast in to the casing. A few gearboxes run on the main engine oil, and don't need checking and filling separately, but in most cases the gearbox will have its own separate oil, together with a dipstick and a drain plug. It may use engine oil (but not necessarily the same grade as the engine) or automatic transmission fluid. Again, make and model needed to determine what it should have.

Gearbox dipsticks are often attached to a fairly anonymous-looking hexagonal nut, so you won't find the sort of loop handle that the engine dipstick probably has.

Below is a picture of a PRM 150 gearbox. In a boat the engine would be to the left of this picture, with the prop shaft attached to the coupling on the right. In this case the dipstick is attached to the brass-coloured nut on top of the gearbox at the front of the shot.

PRM-150D3.jpg

And this is what the dipstick looks like when removed

PRM-MT471.jpg