Boats getting stuck at Napton

madcat

Featured Posts

Anybody been through with a old boat recently ? Any body got stuck .

Are there any coal boats that go that way who would know just how tight it is

Alan and Catrin have you had any issues with Sickle on these tight locks .

We went up and down the flight last week. Our boat has the stern of an old GUCCC butty and has a pronounced pregnant bulge where they join the the new bit

We went through with plenty to spare. Lock 2 is apparently the worst. The volunteer lockie told me that it tightens up as you descend and that they had to flush 'at least one boat out a year'

We went up and down the flight last week. Our boat has the stern of an old GUCCC butty and has a pronounced pregnant bulge where they join the the new bit

We went through with plenty to spare. Lock 2 is apparently the worst. The volunteer lockie told me that it tightens up as you descend and that they had to flush 'at least one boat out a year'

One boat a year !!!!!

I thought it was almost standard practice to flush former G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. boats out of locks, and if flushing is all that is required then those locks are O.K..

Anybody been through with a old boat recently ? Any body got stuck .

Are there any coal boats that go that way who would know just how tight it is

Alan and Catrin have you had any issues with Sickle on these tight locks .

No idea, never taken Sickle that way - yet. We did hear from Dave Wright that Pisces got stuck - I think they were heading south and had to back out.

Reg got through there ok, and I think his fat bit/muffin top is 7ft 1.5" or so... MtB will confirm!

Are you on about MtB's muffin top? or Regs'? ;)

Edited by mark99

We had to assist a small NB out of lock 2 (they were coming down the flight) attempts to flush it out had failed, a combination of our boat pulling from the front and flushing finally moved it. It appeared to me to be a self build shell and it seemed to be jammed quite low down as the lock drained.

Looking hopeful if Reg fits through .

Although I have no personal experience, I believe some of the issue may be to do with boat and/or lock being slightly banana shaped.

So I think a boat that is full length may get into difficulties more easily than one that is shortened.

So, if your potential shortened example isn't actually thought to be spread, or to have any known banana features, I'm thinking you are probably far less likely to face issues.

The NB we assisted was probably no more than 30ft and was near to the bottom gates

It may be an optical illusion, but I think those locks taper outwards towards the top. So if you can get the boat in going uphill, you're sure to be able to get it out again.

I wonder: do all, or most, locks taper or is it peculiar to those on the Oxford canal?

A short/shortened boat may often be freed when jammed in a lock by refilling the lock and moving it up or down the chamber and trying again ...... especially around Penkridge or Rodbaston.

Marcellus as a non converted butty was 7ft 3" with the beams out and the chains right up. The only locks I ever had problems with her were as above and lock 61 non towpath heartbreak hill where she got so hung up you could see under her.

I never tried Hurleston, no point in setting yourself up to fail.

It's worth learning how to set up a wave action by flushing also investing in a Tirfor.