Ernest Thomas amongst others

AMModels

Featured Posts

I know there was a previous "Enterprise" but do not know its history. The former Bichills was formerly "Primus" from Bowater's, very distinctive with small portholes in the upper panels of the cabin. "Dot" I am fairly sure became a hire boat (so could still exist).

I think this is Horseley Fields Bridge near the Wulfruna coal wharf:

gallery_5000_522_21954.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

I have heard several people (and websites) state that DOT 4 was built out of former Midlands and Coast motor APOLLO. The period photographs I have seen of DOT 4 look to be of a wooden hulled boat, and possibly powered by a Bolinder (by exhaust position).

That's right Pete Apollo was iron composite.

regards David L

. Apollo I believe was No3 as it operated in the final years with Enterprise and Bichills, nos 1 & 2.

That is really interesting Lawrence as I had often wondered if Apollo had an ET fleet number. Built by Chrichtons in 1929 for M&CCC Apollo was motorised at their dock in 1936, passing to FMC in 1937. In 1946 she was sold to Ernest Thomas and worked with a butty 'Birchill's (but not the one recently restored) taking coal from Cannock to Birchley rolling mills (part of which is preserved at the Black Country Living Museum), with Fank Dumbelow as skipper (that latter information from retired BCN boatman Joe Chatten). I got the impression that this (running a full length pair) was a bit unusual for Ernest Thomas. I assume the Birchley contract ended and Apollo was shortened to around 56 ft for use as a tug.

In 1970 I purchased Apollo from Malcolm Braine, converted to a trip boat. She is now at Roger Fuller's yard having the wooden superstructure removed and the intention it to replace the cabin and engine room, and present her, with cloths and running gear, as an (albeit) short M&C motor boat - not strictly correct i know! - at least for the moment.

regards David L

Apollo I believe was No3 as it operated in the final years with Enterprise and Bichills, nos 1 & 2.

B.C.N. 2105 (16 July 1941) indicates that PILOT was No. 3 for Ernest Thomas, still full length but with only 4 beams and a deck. B.C.N. 2105 was cancelled 24 February 1954.

Ernest Thomas PILOT was formally the F.M.C. Ltd. 'steamer' PRINCESS, renamed as PILOT when recommissioned as a motor in 1925. PILOT was one of several F.M.C. Ltd. boats acquired by Ernest Thomas once they had become damaged during the Second World War.

That is really interesting Lawrence as I had often wondered if Apollo had an ET fleet number. Built by Chrichtons in 1929 for M&CCC Apollo was motorised at their dock in 1936, passing to FMC in 1937. In 1946 she was sold to Ernest Thomas and worked with a butty 'Birchill's (but not the one recently restored) taking coal from Cannock to Birchley rolling mills (part of which is preserved at the Black Country Living Museum), with Fank Dumbelow as skipper (that latter information from retired BCN boatman Joe Chatten). I got the impression that this (running a full length pair) was a bit unusual for Ernest Thomas. I assume the Birchley contract ended and Apollo was shortened to around 56 ft for use as a tug.

In 1970 I purchased Apollo from Malcolm Braine, converted to a trip boat. She is now at Roger Fuller's yard having the wooden superstructure removed and the intention it to replace the cabin and engine room, and present her, with cloths and running gear, as an (albeit) short M&C motor boat - not strictly correct i know! - at least for the moment.

regards David L

Not as unusual as you (me anyway) might think, from first hand evidence he ran at least a few this way even though photographic evidence is very sparse or non existent so far.

Pairs were used to take coal from Anglesey Basin to Ocker Hill power station for ET around 1950.

Edited by AMModels

• 2 years later...

While perusing the Britain from Above website I found some evidence of ET motors. A couple of shots of one under the cranes at Walsall power station and partial shots of a motor and butty/day boat by the Pratts bridge aqueduct bypass. Sadly not high def enough to see which motor.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW029350

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW013252

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW013260

ET motor 1950 Walsall PS in gear tied up.png

Walsall Power station 1950 ET motor in gear.jpg

• Greenie 1